Has anyone compared the Celestion Blue with the Gold with a common amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I wonder how close they sound to each other? :YinYang

2. Ricker

Ricker Member

Yes I have ...........
    The Gold seems slightly more scooped with a bigger tighter bottom.
    The Blues seem more mids and a lil bit sweeter and not as aggressive.

They are Similiar but not the same
    Rick

3. Dr. Lo

Dr. Lo Supporting Member

This description makes sense since the Gold has more power handling than the Blue. Typically, speakers with more power handling don't compress as much, meaning you'll more easily hear lows and highs, which may account for the "scooped" sound.

4. mrmojorisin

mrmojorisin Member

I have cycled back and forth between blues and golds many times in many amps.

I have concluded that the golds are not nearly as detailed / articulate as the blues.

Also, the blues have an unbelievable "keerang" in the mids when pushed hard that I just love...the golds are much more ordinary in the mid range IMHO.

And I could NEVER get a gold to sound as clear and open as a blue no matter what I tried.

IMHO, these are very different speakers, and no one should view that a gold is "simply a 50w blue".

Just my two cents, but man I REALLY spent some time on this topic, and I never use anything BUT alnico speakers (alnico speaker snob).

5. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

So is a Weber Blue Dog a better "high power blue" than the Gold is? (I know the Blue Dog doesn't sound exactly like a blue either).

6. Ricker

Ricker Member

It's true the Blues seem to have more mid range detail.
    But I guess it's all about volume really........
    The golds will eventually compress and give up the goods but you just have to drive them harder.
    At the same volume they sound different....not that much but enough.

But if you're pushing an 80 watt or 100watt tube head into a 2x12 .... well then I don't think you can do much better than the celestion golds.
    I reckon because celestion made the blue they would be the best at recreating a higher power version of the blue.
    I may be wrong though.

R

7. mrmojorisin

mrmojorisin Member

I dont know that I would say better, just different.

The point is that I don't think that ANYONE has captured the sound of the 15 w Blue in a 50 w (or so) speaker yet.

And maybe it just isn't possible....maybe the laws of physics suggest that you can't make a 50 w speaker that sounds like a 15 w speaker.

But I would certainly LOVE to have a 50 w speaker that sounds just like a Celestion Blue.

The search continues...

C