Has anyone compared the COT50 to a Super Hard On? Similar?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by imguitardan, Mar 10, 2008.

1. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I've had an SHO but am jonesing for a COT. Are they the same pedal? The SHO was bright and loud, I'm hoping the COT is warmer and more manageable at stage volumes. What d'ya think?

2. coreybox

coreybox Member

The COT has way more gain than a SHO. It sounds ALMOST like a fuzz face or rangemaster (minus the treble boost) when maxed out.

It is still loud. It is fairly bright as well.

3. tlpruitt

tlpruitt Member

Circuit wise, they are different. I don't own either but I have seen the schematics and they are not the same at all.

-Tim

4. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

5. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

They're not the same.

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I own both, and played them recently through my Germino JTM-45 clone.

They are definitely different though they overlap somewhat. It has been a few weeks, so this is from memory, and I may be misremembering, but...

The Cot50 (through the JTM-45 clone) sounds MUCH more Marshall-like. I had the bias on mine, the only knob, set around 11:30 or so. Very lively. Very clear sound. It could get bright, but it was a very clear sound.

The SHO, same situation, was also good, but not as Marshally, seemed to have more of a bass component to it, and could be a little darker. It also gave a nice sound, but I preferred the Cot50 by FAR. The Cot50 also was a more sensitive to "touch" and guitar vol.

When I did this the Cot50 and SHO were in line, so guitar into pedals into amp. I was using both a Strat and a Epi Les Paul. The Cot50 felt a lot better.

7. KazJY

KazJY Member

time for me to learn a new abbreviation. What is the COT50?

Thank you.

Back to the regularly scheduled thread....

8. Unabender

Unabender Member

More gain? Are you sure you don't mean more distortion? SHO has a crazy amount of gain...

9. godotzilla

godotzilla Member

Yeah, the COT, while "boosty" is not a boost, per se. It's much more like a really well crafted OD that has some upper mids excitement. The SHO is like a crispy clean boost. Relatively flat until you get around 7-8K, then it does a little spikey thing that creates some serious cut. The big difference is that the SHO won't really add any gain/grit unless your amp is near to being pushed--the COT into a clean amp will add gain/grit even at low volumes, depending on how high the bias is set.

10. bestegw

bestegw Member

It stands for "Church Of Tone 50" as being a reference to the sound produced by Jimi Hendrix on some of his tracks. It is indeed quite different from the Super-Hard-On, which is a "Crackle-OK"-type Mosfet Boost.

11. coreybox

coreybox Member

Yes, I mean gain as in distortion, not as in volume. Bad word choice.

12. tlpruitt

tlpruitt Member

The COT50 is a transistor based booster and uses diodes to do the clipping. The SHO is a MosFET booster and does not use diodes.

-Tim

13. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Thanks for all the help. I had a SHO and it was too clean/bright for me. I love Lovepedal stuff so maybe a COT is in my future.

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

One thing I forgot to mention, that I recently had hammered home to me (and other people have touched on here) the SHO boosts, so it pushes the volume up a lot, the Cot50 doesn't boost as much, but (and this is the point I forgot to mention) it DOES sound absolute best when the amp is cranked a bit. I liked it at lower volumes, but I loved it when I had the amp up already to the point of breakup, that is where it shines!

15. Briggs

Briggs Member

Very true - I find the COT50 better for stand alone overdrive sounds whereas the SHO is better for kicking in an amps input. Still would spend all those $$$ on either though as neither would be my first choice for those two jobs. :messedup

16. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

17. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Nevermind about the distinction between all the COTs...I found some old posts.

18. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Cot red or gold.. even though I just traded my gold for the original lovepedal purple plexi ( lower gain version), and Im much happier. Great marshal sound out of either, but the cot is a bit looser/heavier on the bottom without being able to change it.

19. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Thanks for all your help...I just pulled the trigger on a "Lil China COT Red. I can't wait to get it!:dude