Has anyone compared the Empress Compressor to the Strymon OB.1

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by martinsmith06, Feb 10, 2012.

1. martinsmith06

martinsmith06 Member

I'm really interested in trying out a nice compressor, and these two have piqued my interest. From what I've read, the Empress seems to be a hands down favorite, but I haven't heard much about the OB.1.

Anyone out there A/B the two of them? I'm looking for more overall balance on my picking attack as opposed to the good old fashioned country squish.

All input would be greatly appreciated

:beer

2. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

i've heard nothing but GREAT things about the OB.1!

i don't believe it does the super squashed sound and it's almost undetectable... so i've heard.

3. martinsmith06

martinsmith06 Member

I've heard good things too, and being that I've tried my hand at Ross clones several times, so the optical compressor seems like it's more my kinda pedal... and then of course there's the Empress Compressors that I've yet to hear any bad hype about.. These two really have my attention right now, and I'd love to see a side-by-side comparison (or, as stated earlier hear from someone who's done a proper shootout between the two)

4. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

i have them both. honestly i like a compressor that when its on i know its on, i don't like to play with one on all the time. so the empress might win out a little over the strymon? if the strymons boost was independent it would make it A LOT more usable... but as it sits i think teh empress slays it in terms of flexibility and usability live. if you're an always on compressor guy who doesn't want to feel the compression teh OB1 is solid. but for $50 more the empress just slays it in terms of flexibility and functionality live.

5. Charlie_Pace

Charlie_Pace Member

Empress. Mine is always on. It just fattens and sweetens everything.

6. BillyDW

BillyDW Member

OB.1. Mine is always on. It just fattens and sweetens everything.

the OB.1 is one of the best pedals I have ever bought...I wouldn't change it for any other compressor.
    (I'm sure the Empress is great also)

7. martinsmith06

martinsmith06 Member

The demo vid for the empress that Burgs has done just makes it sound like EVERYONES rig could benefit from having one..

Id still be interested in hearing from people who have played BOTH and could expand a little on their own experience. :)

8. martinsmith06

martinsmith06 Member

Any other members care to share their experiences?

9. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Many older threads on both...

10. martinsmith06

martinsmith06 Member

Thanks for the insight... and the links... since I did actually search for a 1 vs. 2 thread

11. teleclem

teleclem Member

Yeah, I really like mine :)

I haven't tried the OB.1 though. Not sure if a lot have played both. The OB.1 isn't very popular to begin with, for some reason.

12. martinsmith06

martinsmith06 Member

Which I find pretty interesting... for the price-point of a higher-end opto-comp, and its multiple features, I just don't get it. Maybe just because of the name people assume that it uses one of Strymon's digital Sharc Processors (which it absolutely doesn't), so maybe people are thinking they're buying a Compressor Simulator????

13. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Member

i a/b the empress against the ob.1 at ludlows. and i liked the ob.1 better. but i think it's completely subjective based on what you need to do. the empress is much more tweakable, and sounds very good. the ob.1 just smooths things out subtly, it does it very well, but it doesn't do much more. the boost on the ob.1 was a big plus as well.

14. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

That's a pretty strong endorsement, considering who it's coming from.

I also have the Empress (never tried the Strymon) and think it's better than anything else I've tried by a surprisingly large margin. (Some I've owned: Diamond, Pigtronix, MRX, tried others).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  15. martinsmith06

martinsmith06 Member

I've been leaning that way the entire time, but the ability to pick up a used OB.1 for reasonably less than new is the only thing that keeps me humming... I may make the leap of faith and snag an Empress soon... if just $50 sets it lengths ahead of the competition, I can't argue that. It sounds like it just adds some beauty to the overall tone of the guitar that a light boost, or EQ just couldn't touch

16. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

I switched to the Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone for one reason, It has a blend knob. I can blend in the original signal, it adds bottom end of the original signal while keeping the mids & highs crystal clear. I've got one of everything here (and a few I never knew I had) This is the one I preferred.

17. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

The Empress also has this.

18. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

The Philosopher's Tone has probably the worst (= artificial sounding, I don't know why, maybe some phasing issue) implementation of the dry blend among the compressors that I've tried, among other drawbacks about its heavy and "pumping" squish (discussed in older threads). Nowhere near the dry blend sound of, for example, a Tone Press or a TC Nova Dynamics.

19. dapeegoo

dapeegoo Member

Ob.1 is the best compressor I have ever used. It is so transparent and doesn't color your tone. It just adds amazing sustain to your tone.