1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Has Anyone Compared The Warehouse Guitar Speaker Blackhawk HP To An EVO SRO?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by '59Fatburst, Dec 4, 2017.

1. '59Fatburst

'59Fatburst Supporting Member

According to the WGS website, the Blackhawk HP Alnico is a direct replacement speaker for an Electro Voice SRO. I guess a lot of speakers can be considered a drop in replacement for an SRO, but, the impression that I get is that it's supposed to be the WGS take on an SRO. As a lover of the giant EV, I was wondering if anyone had a chance to compare the two? It would be nice to grab a speaker with a similar tonal quality but one that is much lighter than an original EV.

2. Bluewail

Bluewail Silver Supporting Member

3. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

I know nothing about it...so I went to the WGS site. 'drop in replacement'....that is a rather vague claim. I mean...it is a 12" speaker and the magnet is not as big as the first SRO...so the HP will fit wherever the old coffee can SRO would fit. IT has the hadnling capability at 100 watts. Then...I scroll on down to the category.....
    "Product category:
    British Invasion"

So, I would wonder what the freq response curve looks like compared to the SRO? The speaker might drop right in, but the sonics might not be the same, right? The Blackhawk HP Alnico is a high powered version of the 30-50 watt Blackhawk Alnico, I would think.

4. '59Fatburst

Right, but than the lower powered Blackhawk Alnico is supposed to be a WGS version of a Celestion Gold, which, in my experience, sounds absolutely nothing like an EV SRO. I guess I could just buy the HP to try it out but it sure would suck if I spent three bills only to find out it's basically nothing like an SRO. I have had other WGS speakers, though, and they sounded really good. I don't want to sound like I'm beating up on them. I just wish there was some better clarification on their descriptions. I think that complaint has been covered here before.

5. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

I don't see where they say that it sounds like a coffee can EV SRO. They say it is a bigger version of the 30-50 watt speaker is somewhat of a sonic clone of the old Celestions that Vox used. Fwiw, there are three versions of the EV SRO...the first coffee can, a second version that kind of looks like the coffee can but has a removable cylindrical bell cover, and then a third version with a flat round magnet.
    The Weber Michigan is their version of the EV. I have an Altec 600B that has a huge cylindrical magnet similar to the first coffee can SRO. I need to get it reconed and see what is going on with it. IT was developed in 1947 or so with the first application of a metal dust cover...which accentuated the high end. I will have it done with something other than a metal dust cover. OR...it will go to some audiophile who wants it done as stock. An original pair of the 600B's are worth maybe $1K or more these days.

6. spkrbldr

spkrbldr Member

Hey guys, I’ll try and clear some of this up or at least give you my take. As you’ve said, the BHHP is a completely different animal than an SRO. It is also nothing like the regular BlackHawk. The HP cone has a lower resonance than the 50 watt BH and the HP uses the large dust cap also. The SRO comparison came from an experiment at an amp show a few years back. An amp builder came to our room with a loaded 1x12 and an empty 1x12. Both cabs were closed back and he wouldn’t tell us what he had in the cab but wanted to see if we had anything close. After trying 3 or 4 ceramic models we dropped a BHHP in the cab and BAM!! we had a match. They really sounded very similar. I about fell over when the guy opened his cab and I saw the big coffee can inside. I’m pretty sure the cabs weren’t ported but they were on the small side and sealed. I have compared the BHHP and the SRO in oval back cabs since then and the similarities were still there. Anyway, that’s how the comparison came about. I wasn’t a big fan of putting that comparison on the website at the time without audio or video because the speakers are so physically different but there are definitely some similarities. Hope this helps. While we are talking SRO, I think our WGS12L has some of the old SRO tone too but it is still an 18 lb. speaker.
    Dean

pdf64 and Steppin' Wolfe like this.
  7. '59Fatburst

Thanks for the explanation, Dean. That does clear up a lot of the origin of the description. The SRO comparison really caught my attention because of my love for that speaker. It manages to be fat, full and powerful without losing articulation or bite. It's amazing really. It's only drawback is the weight. Does the Blackhawk HP manage to still sound like a thick, full range speaker without that enormous magnet? I've been contemplating moving my SRO from my Mark I and into a Boogie Thiele cab and trying the HP in my Mark I. Thanks again, BTW.

8. spkrbldr

spkrbldr Member

IMO the HP does have that big full range thing going on. From clean to mean it stays together and full without too much top, mids or lows. Just a really good speaker. As with all WGS speakers, if you just don’t bond with it you can return it within 30 days. No questions asked.
    Dean

Steppin' Wolfe likes this.
  9. '59Fatburst

Cool, I'm going to have to try one!