Has anyone directly compared the PRS Mira and a Gibson SG?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Kelsey, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

I checked out a Mira at a local shop for a bit, and I was very impressed. I liked the standard neck carve and it had a really nice vibe, not to mention some very nice tones. Recently, I've been toying with the idea of getting an SG, and the Mira seemed like it drew inspiration from an SG or LP Special DC, so I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare these models more directly?

2. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I'd agree with you that the Mira can be thought of as the "SG" for PRS. I think its a very cool guitar that's very different from everything they have done and its in a price range filling a void that was missing before.

Personally, I would go Mira unless we were talking about a '61 RI SG. But then again, I'm definitely more a fan of LPs over SGs. I really dig the cool colors of the Mira too!

3. jimlp

jimlp Member

I am not a big PRS fan but I really liked the Mira that I played, that being said it is to expensive for what it is IMO. If Gibson can make the SG Classic with a bound neck and sell it for $1000.00 the Mira should be an $800.00 guitar, with the exception of the coil taps it is a no frills guitar. I liked the pickups in the Mira as well, vintage voiced, very clear and sounded great split.

4. simon_62

simon_62 Member

The Mira is a fantastic 5* guitar, very versatile, very comfortable and such a great player. I think the price is very much worth it in comparison to a Gibby SG, the miras ive tried are similar tonally but have more depth and richness to the sound as well as sounding great tapped. Theyre probably my favourite guitar atm and are at the very top of my GAS list :)

5. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

The neck pup placement on a 22 vs a 24 fret guitar would make a huge difference in which I would consider.

6. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

This guitar and the SG 61 RI were to two I was looking at as well. I played several and wound up with a Epi Elitist SG 61 RI. Don't overlook the Elitist, it's not hype, they're very good indeed.

BTW, had I not bought the Epi it would have been the Gibby. IMO the neck on these guitars is what puts them over the top. They're a joy to play and they sound awesome.

7. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I'll have to try a few more SG's and Mira's. At this point I'm wondering which one tends to sound "bigger".

8. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

My Mira has become my number 1 guitar. I prefer it to any SG I've played, but that's all a matter of personal pref. About the only measurable advantage you can give to the Mira is the coil tap....which is GREAT. I feel pretty strongly that PRS QC is head and shoulders above Gibson too, but that's just me.

Anyway, I LOVE my Mira. Keeper for sure.

A

p.s. The level of quality is on par with any U.S. PRS, IMO. The Mira is definitely not an $800 guitar in my book.

9. silot

silot Member

I may be wrong but I think SG's have their neck pickup far from the fretboard, almost where a 24 fret guitar would have it...

10. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Based on their evolution of the SE line, and the success the Mira seems to be enjoying, I think we'll be seeing all kinds of new Mira models from PRS before too long. I'd love a 22 fretter as well. One with the traditional PRS body shape would also do well, I'd wager.

A