Has anyone ditched their programmable delay for one or two simpler delays?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TimH, Feb 23, 2008.

1. TimH

TimH Member

I'm thinking of ditching my my Nova delay for a DMM and Echo park...for the simplicity...I only use the dotted eighth and quarter note settings on the Nova and I don't like its interface. I think I might want something easier to change on the fly. What do you think...what problems am I not forseeing?

2. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

If you want it simpler and a different soundquality: go for it! I ditched my DD20 few months back... liked the stored settings but I don't miss 'em one bit now. If you go for a DMM and an Echo Park that should cover it all. Personally I didn't like the EP one bit, but if you need the dotted eights tap tempo: it does it well.
    DMM doesn't need any encouraging ;)

3. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Yeah, I had a fling w/ the Nova and ditched it.
    It was great to have presets, but it sounded like I was plugged into a rack delay, not a pedal.

I prefer a simple 3-knob design that smoothly changes the d-time as you turn the knob. I really thought it was wierd to press a preset and look at the knobs and realise I had no clue where the settings were.

I think that w/ a little practice you can set a 3-knob delay real fast.

4. Ozro4

Ozro4 Member

I've used the DD20 some, but it was just way too much for me. I run a DD-5 with a tap and an AD9. I use the Boss for time based delay and the Ibanez for more of a slapback as its delay time is pretty limited. Also, you can't beat the analog tone of the AD9 in a compact pedal.

5. LReese

LReese Member

Yep - pulled a DD20 off in favor of a Replex and TTE. I'd be totally happy with the Replex if it were a hair brighter. But the TTE just kills. I still got a MPX-550 ready to go, just have not used it in months. I like the simplicity in the TTE and Replex.

6. Spellbound

Spellbound Member

i have a lot of nice digital delays but prefer playing through my Aquapuss the most. call me a cork sniffer. sniffle.

7. mild

mild Member

Sold the Eventide, went back to my DD-5 / AD-80 combo. :)

It works for me.

8. Frethog

Frethog Member

Yup. Sold my DC Timeline and went with my old DD-2 and a new EP.

9. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

come on guys, please dont put out my Nova GAS!

10. Chadley

Chadley Member

I couldn't gig without my Nova. We switch songs too fast. I can't worry about tapping in tempo (we do all of our songs to a click track/fixed tempo). I have everything programmed. Song 1 is preset 1, song 2 preset 2, etc. Can't do that with an analog delay.

I still would like to have an analog delay for effect and fun though, but you simply can't beat the flexibility and ease of a programmable digital delay that sounds as good as the Nova sounds.

11. OOG

OOG Member

love my Lexicons and TC's
    but for real time playing
    DD-2, DM-2, and recently, the DBD usually get the nod

been that way for...
    the past 20 years or so

12. redpill

redpill Member

After flirting with as multi-effector many years ago, I just don't do presets. It's a hangup, I admit. So I've never had a programmable delay. I'm currently eying a new MXR. Seems hard to beat for the price.

13. emjee

emjee Member

Anybody compare any of the older intellifex rack units to any newr pedal units? I'd 'ppreciate any thoughts. Thanks!
    I think the TC Electronics 2290 did a better job than any pedals I've heard, but they WERE 3k(?)
    MG

14. Balok

Balok Member

I could never give up having 6 or so different delay levels, which I get from a Replifex. You can roll off highs with great control, add a 2nd delay a few ms apart (I run one at 500 ms, one at 550 ms) You can add chorus to the delayed signal only, or reverb to the delayed signal only. These things allow far more realistic sound and flexibility. And all these things can happen in stereo!
    Added to that you have different times, feedback, and levels, giving you all kinds of realtime creative control.
    If programming scares you, just take your time with it and struggle a little and tell yourself you know you can get it. The rewards are huge.

15. gregory49

gregory49 Member

I've got a Nova Coming. It should get here anyday now... I've also got a MP DBD and I'm sending the money for an EP3 today as well.. so thats got my echo/delay covered!!!

16. TimH

TimH Member

well I took the plunge. I simply don't need that much control over my delay sounds. I'd rather have the lush sound of a DMM than a fancy delay that I'm not using. So goodbye Nova and hello DMM and Echo Park.

17. OOG

OOG Member

that little Echo Park is a really nice piece of gear
    i'm tempted to pick another one up now that they're lighter
    it's the only thing i would use besides my old Boss's on my board
    the Memory Lane was outstanding and the Maxon's 900/999 are both great but they're all to big
    i like to keep it light and tight
    if i'm gonna use a big board
    i might as well take a rack

18. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

I used a blackface Intellifex years ago, so I got used to tweaking everylittle detail on my delay. But I'm out of the rack world now... I really wanted a DL4 or a Nova delay, but ended up with a Ibanez DL5 (major tone suckage) for $15 off eBay while I waited on my tax return. In the meantime, I borrowed a DL4 for a couple of weeks from a friend.

I found myself only using the auto-swells and reverse primarily and ONE delay setting. I will probably stick with a small pedal for delay like the Carbon Copy, or something like a modded AD9 for now. Someday, when I build a bigger board, I'll get the Nova for the Auto-Tempo or the DL4 for the auto-volume swells.

I think I like the featureset and size of the Nova, but I like the user interface of the DL4 (specifically having 3 presets 1 button away).

19. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Sold my rack almost 20 years ago......never looked back....when ever stompers becomes too much like a rackthing...I am not the slightest interested.
    What I would like, is a parallel loop mixer though:D
    And being able to run my pedals at full wet.....now that would be neat!

20. blackjack davey

blackjack davey Senior Member

I know some people would disagree with me but I dumped a DD-20 in favor of a DD-3 & DD-6 combination. The DD-20 just had too many features that I would never use on a consistent basis where the 2 individual pedals are easier to set up and cover everything I would ever want in the area of Delay.