Has anyone else had problems with the Berhinger Eurodesk?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by gayler, Feb 28, 2012.

1. gayler

gayler Member

Our church has a 24 channel, I don't know the model number. It's a couple of months out of warranty and has a bad crackling sound until it warms up for at least half an hour. You can tap or push on the knobs on the right side of the board and get it to crackle even worse. The company that sold it to use and set up the whole system called to see if Berhinger would help out beings that it only gets used two hours a week at max. He was told "sorry we can't help". When he explained that he does lots of buisiness with them and he might need to go else where for equipment they told him Ok, by and hung up! Anyone had the same or better luck with them?

2. KillerV

KillerV Member

Sadly, this is the Behringer curse. It is fairly well known that if a B-word piece breaks down the easiest thing is to just replace it. They are widely hated for this (among other things). That's why they're cheap, though.

Just to clarify: I'm not hating on Behringer gear. I have a couple of pieces that have served me well over the years. I have their 8ch ADAT converter, a headphone amp and a power amp that I toured with for 4 years without a glitch. Actually started my studio with a Eurodesk from the 90's (IIRC). None of these have let me down, but I dread the day they actually do. Luckily I have backups...

3. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

you get what you pay for.

4. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

Well it IS out of warranty... I'm sure that you can send it to an authorized service center and pay for a repair. But let me just say that for the price that Behringer sells their wares for... Repair will cost near replacement cost.

Or were you hoping that they would repair/replace it outside of the warranty agreement? And then annoyed that they won't? Sure it's always nice to check and a bonus if they will... (I've had Electrovoice replace a speaker 5 years out of warranty before... wow.) but I would never "expect" it. I would think that you might change your expectations, especially when dealing with a bargain brand like Behringer.

5. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

That's the legendary "Behringer Tone" at work.

6. 3dognate

Oh I'll not say that... they have a few things that they are just an outstanding bargain on that do a perfectly decent job and are just throw aways when / if they fail...

7. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

I don't like throw-aways. Behringer has no place in my signal chain if I can help it. an outstanding bargain that still sounds like crap and is likely to fail is no bargain at all.

8. deeaa

deeaa Member

Behringer...went thru 3 mixers in 4 years...nuff said...

9. gayler

gayler Member

What would you guys recomend for a replacement? Keep in mind this is for a small town church so budget is very important.

10. 3dognate

Mackie, Yamaha, Allen and Heath

11. gayler

gayler Member

I like the Allen & Heath Zed 22FX. Does this look to be a good mixer to you guys? Thanks!

12. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

well, what are you looking to spend to replace it? are you open to used gear?

13. gayler

gayler Member

I'm thinking they want to spend under $1000. They also want to go new

14. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

24 channel for under $1000....hmmm
    A&H Zed
    Soundcraft MFXi
    Yamaha may have one as well

15. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Yeah, Behringer Eurodesks are PLAGUED with issues - not worth buying. If I were you, I'd sell it off cheap and check out the A&H ZED consoles.

16. gayler

gayler Member

Thanks guys! I'll tell the powers that be. I think the A&H Zed might be the way to go.

17. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Really, it's a blessing. I'm in the industry, and the B word is used as a curse. Sure, they'll replace a piece under the terms of the warranty, but the old one goes into landfill. I don't relish the idea of drinking water contaminated with lead, cadmium and whatever.

18. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Supporting Member

*shudder*

We are trying to get the hell rid of our Behringer L2400. First one had a few AUX outs fail in short succession, the FX bus gave off different tones depending on if they were in use or not, all kinds of funky stuff. Sent it back on warranty, the new one was a brutal refurb. Still marked up from the previous customer, channel 7 was completely non-functioning, master AUX level gives off an insane amount of noise...the list goes on.

Get out. Get out now.

19. gayler

gayler Member

Thanks everyone! They bought a soundcraft. Has anyone opened up a Behringer and actualy worked on it? Could it be just a dirty pot or dirty connection? How about a bad cap? If it has a cracked board can you get replacement parts? I opened it up and took a quick peek and it looks pretty easy to work on. The solder pads are pretty big, so touching up a cold solder joint would'nt be hard. Thanks!

20. loudboy

loudboy Member

Give it a try, you certainly can't make it worse...