Has anyone else had this happen to their DL4?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by straticus, Jun 16, 2008.

1. straticus

straticus Member

My DL4 took a dump on me at our gig last Saturday.

It would just shut itself off. I would step on it, switch it on and it's like the thing would say "OK, you've had enough, I'm shutting myself off".

So now, if I try to use it, sometimes it will switch on and sometimes it won't. But either way, it only works for a few seconds and then shuts it's self off.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way to "re-boot" this thing and get back up and running properly?

I've never been that crazy about the delays in this thing but I love having the quick access to the presets on stage. But this is my second one in just over a year and so help me, if this one is dead.............that's it! I'm looking elsewhere for my delays.

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

You're using a DL-4? And you're surprised this happened?

3. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

The reliability of them has been in question since they were released. I owned one and never really used it...figured I'd sell it before mine ended up dead. I think the TC and Nova are supposed to be nice. Other's will have a more through and intelligent reply, but yes the DL-4s are known to have issues.

4. gtrguy17

gtrguy17 Member

Check the nuts that hold down the 4 stomp switches as well as the jacks. I had my old DL-4 freak out when a nut on one of the stomp switches got loose - like it loses a ground or something. I tightened it up and all was fine.

5. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

Never had a problem in over four years with my DL-4. I gig every week.

6. klaetos

klaetos Member

I had mine for about 2 years and no problems yet. I did find I had a "stupid user error" issue though that others might want to know about. When we plugged in on Sunday, I couldn't get anything to work. Thought it was the loop or tube or something. Checked out everything with cords, loop etc, nothing worked. Thought I was finally on the unlucky end of a crappy DL4. Looked down and realized that the selection was half way between two reverb options. I never change the dial I just mainly use the three presets so I didn't even check the dials right away. :bkw DUH!

7. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

All of the Line6 units are power hogs... they don't take very kindly to being under-fed. When the power gets too low for them, they turn on, operate for a few seconds and then blink off. This behavior, in this case, is directly related to the power where you're playing and not to the box itself.

I did a gig in New Jersey last summer, and they were having a brown-out... the house power was around 109V instead of 120V. I had to run both of my Line6 guys on batteries.

Checking your power source would be a good starting place. Trying the pedal with batteries, to prove/rule out a power problem would also be a good idea.

8. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

I agree! I've noticed the same thing. I use a PPII and it's helped a lot with powering the Line 6 stuff.

9. Isaiah4Autumn

Isaiah4Autumn Member

I've had my dl-4 for four years with no problems at all...:horse

10. D.G.

D.G. Member

You could certainly try a factory reset, but if you don't have a loose (or too tight) plunger switch, and the factory reset doesn't work, then it's most likely dead. I had something not too dissimilar happen. I now have 2, one as a spare if I need it. I use it mainly for the looping functions, not the delays so much.

11. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Usually that's a power supply issue. The vast majority of problems like that have to do with Power.

Digital effects are a bitch that way.

12. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

The same thing happened to me at a gig a few years ago ... it was a power issue. I was running the DL-4 from a 9VAC output that was not regulated (from an original ADL Juicebox) and the power/wiring on the venue sucked so the juice to the pedal fluctuated from and below 9V constantly.

The solution was to power the DL-4 from a DC regulated output ... yeah, DC, using a reverse polarity cable or cable adaptor (got the tip from a pedal maker) ... I used the green adaptor that came with my Powerall daisy chain thing. Also, I used a 13.5VDC output since I was told that the DL-4 can take up to 15V, and it never failed again.

13. straticus

straticus Member

Bingo!

Yep, it seems this was the problem.

This was an outdoor gig and I remember some talk about possible power issues to the stage. I power my pedal board with a PP2 but if it isn't getting enough juice, well..........:NUTS

So, the DL4 is working fine now. I guess I need to feed it properly.

But why can't someone make a great sounding delay, like the Nova or Eventide, with the same features as the DL4!!! I have enough going on during a gig with out having to scroll through delay presets in the middle of a song.