• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Has anyone else stolen a lot from Frampton?

I always cite my influences as Haynes, Marc Ford, and Clapton but I was noodling around this morning, started playing 'Do You Feel', and kinda realized 'Man, I stole a lot of licks from here...' I feel like he doesn't get enough credit for his guitar playing.
I might have to repurchase '...Comes Alive' (never replaced it in the cassette-to-CD change-over).

Zexcoil

Vendor
I wouldn't say "stolen", but I feel like I unconsciously incorporated a good bit of his approach. I say not "stolen" because I never really sat down and tried to get a lot of his licks directly.

I've listened to Frampton Comes Alive quite a bit, though.

This brings up a good point. I've been going back and filling in the gaps in my record collection. Frampton's early studio stuff is a hole...

Banditt

Frampton in the Humble Pie years was one of the first Guitarists that I heard play blues/blues rock using some jazzy chord tones over straight blues...His live playing on "Do you feel" set the standard for young guys like me growing up listening to Fm radio and AOR stations.

Sad to say, but if Frampton wouldn't have dyed his hair, gotten involved in Bee Gees "Sgt. Peppers" and appeared on shows like "bah-bah Black sheep" acting he could have been considered one of the greats a lot sooner than he actually has...and he seems to recognize that now.

He is one guy that I think has done SOO much after that era to change his image back to being a musician, respected sideman, songwriter, and all around great guy! He is one of those guys that seems to really have fun losing his hair, his image, and all the hoopla and just kicking ass on the guitar!

He is somebody I've been meaning to see live...heard he is a great, humble, down-to-ear guy in person!

JDouglee

I actually should transcribe some of that stuff. I think my love of chromatics comes from that album.

The soloing is so joyous and carefree, yet seriously digging in. Love.

Frank Hannon of Tesla. Listen to the solo in "the way it is". I think it's the second solo. Same opening riff as "do you feel like I do"

Gallus

Whenever I ask a stranger for directions I like to suddenly break into "I Want You -oo-oo To Show Me The Way-e-ay"... does that count?

jeff5371

Gold Supporting Member
I can't say I do as I haven't listened to him much. I will say that, only knowing his pop 70s type stuff, I was BLOWN away a few years back when I caught a live concert from him on cable. Man what a great player and terrific tone.

I
I was gonna bring that up, props. a couple frampton lifts there
pretty sure Frank makes no secret of his love for Frampton.
Never got into frampton solo stuff. He seems to only be able to rhyme "day" and "way"...

lkft

Frampton has been an influence to me because of his use of the major/chromatic scale when playing lead, he's one of the best at it. My tendencies have always been towards the minor scale and I just get lost when having to play something in the major scale and his technique has helped me a lot.

fataxeman

Gold Supporting Member
Stone Cold Fever...what a great one! Used to jam on it back in the day with some of my cronies. It usually turned in to a 15-20 minute drool- inducing wankfest but it was so much fun. The drool induced was not necessarily that of our "audience". We also wore out I Don't Need No Doctor in much the same fashion.

Trending Topics