Has anyone ever modified a 2x12 closed back cab by opening up the back a little...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hottub, Apr 23, 2008.

1. hottub

hottub Member

meaning to say, have you ever modified a closed back cab with a non-removable back and opened her up? For instance, cutting a small width of say 2 - 3" the length of the cab to make it a very slightly partially open-back, but still retain some of the closed back qualities?

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Excellent question that is really relavent for me too. Hope you get some answers!

3. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

i did it with a /13 212D cab, i cut a 7" strip out across the middle of the back panel. it sounds better now to my ear.

4. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I had a cb Guytron cab and rather then butcher it I decided to sell it unloaded and use the funds to buy a Avatar OB cab. Regarding the sound difference, I am much happier to have this sound as I was always fighting the excess and boomy bass with the cb cabinet.

5. jlummaa

jlummaa Member

Not a 2x12" but i made my Marshall 1960A 4x12" cab open back (the same way the JTM45/100 RI stack slant cab is). I made new back panels so that 1/3 of it is open. Much better to me, i prefer the slightly wider sound than the closed back bass boost.

6. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

Yup, I have an old '63 blond Fender 2x12. I stored the original panel and had two new back panels made....left about a 4 inch gap between them. It worked out great, and the sound is very punchy with great bass...and a little airy-ness. THD used to make (maybe they still do?) a cab that had the same thing. I think they called it a rear "port" but it was basically a 3 inch wide slit running the length of the back, side to side.

7. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I did it to an old Kustom red tuck and roll unported 2x12. I cut about 1/3rd off the top, hinged it and let it be open or closed. Made a big difference with some amps, I am really glad I did it.

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Yep-more than once! I recently bought a LOPO large closed back 2x12 thing the bass would better than a smaller 2x12 closed cab. Well the cab sounded good but lacked a lot of low end especially at lower to medium volumes.

The back panel of the cab is 20 inches in hieght. I cut 5 inches off the bottom so its 1/4 open on the bottom. WOW! what a difference! The cab sounds bigger fuller and has a lot more low end!

I'd say it doesnt retain a lot of the closed back qualities but it still projects just fine. All I can say is no more closed back x12's for me! Bob

9. jay42

jay42 Member

The THD 2-12" looks to be roughly a 2.5" to 3" slot.

10. Oldtone

Oldtone Member

So, since my cab has a sealed back, I can measure the area that would exist if I had a 3"-4" gap running the length of the rear panel and cut round holes with the same area to get the same effect?

11. jay42

jay42 Member

12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Sure but its a lot easier to just rip 3 or 4 inches off the panel with a cicular saw. I peeled back the tolex and ripped mine. Then I reglued it. Looks like it came that way! Bob