Has anyone ever replaced a metal speaker dustcover with a cloth one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by phyrexia, Jun 12, 2008.

1. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

I have an Altec 4178C with an original cone, but it's started to make some strange piercing noises and I think it's related to the metal dustcover. I've read that people used to take off the cover and put a "standard" one in its place. Has anybody done this, and do you think it would solve my problem, or is it just time for a recone?

2. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Ive "customized" speakers by replacing paper caps with screen types and larger screens in place of smaller screens. It required being able to cut the old cap off with a razor blade and getting close to the cone as possible.Im not sure it would be that easy to remove an aluminum cap without damaging the cone. Bob

4. bosstone

bosstone Member

I have cut out aluminum dust caps on JBLs and replaced them with paper ones...big improvement!

5. bosstone

bosstone Member

I had an Altec 417-H that had a metal dust cap put on it. Unfortunately there was a wrinkle on the cone (someone had probably crammed the cord in the back) that unbalanced the tension on the cone and it had a scratchy voice coil and I didn't get to hear it before. I have heard of others doing this th 417-Hs and preferring the results.