Has anyone ever successfully replaced a lost or missing Gibson COA?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BMF Effects, May 4, 2015.

1. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

I suspect I know the answer already but I'm hoping for the best.

2. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

No how, no chance. Sorry. :)

3. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

Nope. You could try emailing Gibson I guess but doubt they will do it even with proof of purchase due to the amount of fakes out there.

4. jlb32

jlb32 Member

I've always heard they will not reissue COA's. Now if it was a new one at a dealer that the dealer has lost there might be a chance but if it's a used model probably not much of a chance. Never hurts to ask though.

5. budglo58

budglo58 Member

I bought a new 335 where the dealer lost the case and coa and got a new one but I think that's the only situation that they will replace it.

6. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

I know that they usually don't do it but I would think that both Gibson and Fender should have a program in place to get replacement COA's. Inspection through authorized dealers to verify and have a replacement cost.

If it is legit, it's like getting a replacement part just like anything else on the guitar. Am I missing something? probably. :confused:

7. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

Not at all, I agree with you 100%. If I bring the guitar to an authorized dealer and they give the thumb's up, it shouldn't be an issue.

8. americananalog

americananalog Member

What if I bring it to the FACTORY, would that make a difference?

9. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

Gibson used to re-issue COA's if you sent a guitar back to the factory for authentication and you were the original buyer. I would contact their Customer Service department to see if they still do this. Their email address is Customer.Relations@gibson.com and the phone number is 800-444-2766.

10. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

Yes. I did it for my R9. It turns ut that that it was incorrect in the description of the guitar but gibson is willing to help if you back up your claim with pictures and politeness.

11. gtrplyr1

gtrplyr1 Member

I emailed Gibson a few years back and got one for an R8 I had bought used. No questions asked.

Maybe things are different now but it wasn't a problem then, might have even been as much as 10 years ago. Yeah I suppose things could be different now.

I had to get one from fender for a custom shop strat I bought new at guitar center and that one was more difficult to get and took more than a month.