Has anyone ever tried these capacitors?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by EADGBE, Sep 18, 2006.

1. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

2. AL30

AL30 Member

Futurlec has some really interesting parts and great prices. I've ordered from them once and had no issues. However, others weren't so lucky. Their shipping appears to be sporatic at best. Some have waited a loooong time to get their orders. Again, I didn't have that problem but you may want to search around first if you're considering ordering from them.

AL

3. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

I've used Wimas. No problems. I've had good luck with ERO in hi-end audio gear too. Truth be told, the orange drop caps are probably the worst I've used in hi-fi gear.

4. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Polyester film Wima's is what I use as standard in my guitars and basses, just because I happen to have lots in stock for my electronics projects. IMVHO anything more expensive is overkill for the demands of an electric guitar circuit. For that application they actually have much better specs than the ceramic caps many people use.

5. HandOfTheHost

HandOfTheHost Member

For S's and G's, you should pick up some paper in oil caps off ebay, .022 and .047, you might find them a little better sounding in your guitars and basses.

6. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

7. AL30

AL30 Member

$15.95 for a cap? :NUTS

Sorry, but that's a little over the top in my book. At that price I would ask to see some white papers and listen to some sound clip comparisons with other caps. Maybe they do sound better - who knows? - but I'd make real sure about it before shelling out that kind of $$$

I think Angela Instruments sells some NOS caps (no Hovlands).

I would also do some research. Check out some info on other caps. Mouser is a good place to get tech info.

AL

8. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Silver Supporting Member

I have put the Hovland's in my LP; the 22 and couldn't be more pleased. You can spend less on others BUT the Hovland's do what is stated in the ad. My LP loves 'em! You can get them for 11.00 at other sites....check ebay

9. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

You can get Mallory 150 series caps for $0.50.