• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Has anyone gone back to CDs?

Doomrider78

I'm a digital buyer, for the most part, and use Spotify for Playlist put together from albums I've already bought.

When I moved to Canada, 2 years ago, I got rid of my CD collection as there was no way of bringing 700 CDs with me, especially as I was staying with friends for the first few months.

In recent times I’ve found myself missing having the physical albums, including the artwork, lyrics, album info etc., so Im tempted to get myself a CD player and start buying CDs again.

Has anyone gone back? I'm still gonna use the digital formats, but it would be nice to buy a CD now and then, especially for releases Im particularly looking forward to.

Also, any recommendations for a CD player that would work with a Sonos system?

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
i still listen to CDs in my car!!!!!!
don't have a CD player at home anymore...oh, wait, my son does, but i never get to use it.....at home i have moved to listening to things on my Iphone.....i do miss my old stereo at times....but such is life...

Pedro58

Silver Supporting Member
True, but no warranty. If it craps out a week after you buy it, you're out of luck. I bought a big CD changer from a pawn shop and it lasted a year or so. Not sure what I want to do now...

I miss albums as a physical object. I miss the liner notes and photos. I still get CD's for albums I really love like Led Zeppelin's albums and Metallica's most recent symphonic album. I'll most likely get AC/DC's new album on CD.

I think I may get a record player for Christmas. It would be nice to consume music the way I did as a kid. Instead of playlists and my short attention span, I'd like to listen to the whole album and look at the album cover and the sleeve inside the record jacket.

Bluedawg

Been a mix for me ....

If I buy from Amazon I usually get the CD and they will also allow you to download the music on most purchases. So I have both when that happens.

Sometimes you're stuck getting one or the other … you can buy one, but not the other.

And I've seen downloads that were under $10, but the CD is rather expensive.

I still have a lot of older CDs that need to be copied over to my computer. I should probably get to work on that.

Downloading could be an issue if the download provider has some control of what's in your library. I have read of iTunes erasing tunes from people's music collection when their music wasn't considered the authorized version of the tune. Not good if you have unique or rare versions of a given tune.

:banana

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
Never left. I don't actually play the CDs, but I buy them, and I rip them to a hard drive, make a copy of that hard drive so I always have 2, and then I put them away.

I have LPs, too, but in my experience, 90 percent of things sound better on the CD. I will say a lot of the very early CDs sound like crap, but the vast, vast majority sound better than vinyl, to me. Not that vinyl sounds bad, and if you get the right pressing, it can sound considerably better than the CD, but who has time to chase all that down anymore, and pay for it as often times these LPs go for $100. Sorry, not worth it.

And before anyone says I don't have a trained ear, I've been recording myself and others for over 25 years. I think my ear is fine.

I still buy 5-6 CDs a month, usually. Always on the hunt, although the prices are starting to go up. You can find a lot of stuff dirt cheap, but it's usually all the really popular stuff, which I already have, or a lot of older stuff not many listen to anymore, which I already have.

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, I still like them. I tend to pick a couple of new albums a week on Spotify, give them a dozen plays or so, then buy a couple of those a month on CD and take them in the car where I can play loud and properly explore them. The very best I'll also buy on vinyl although Seinfeld I never get round to listening to vinyl as much as I intend.

Suave Eddie

I'm a digital buyer, for the most part, and use Spotify for Playlist put together from albums I've already bought.

When I moved to Canada, 2 years ago, I got rid of my CD collection as there was no way of bringing 700 CDs with me, especially as I was staying with friends for the first few months.

In recent times I’ve found myself missing having the physical albums, including the artwork, lyrics, album info etc., so Im tempted to get myself a CD player and start buying CDs again.

Has anyone gone back? I'm still gonna use the digital formats, but it would be nice to buy a CD now and then, especially for releases Im particularly looking forward to.

Also, any recommendations for a CD player that would work with a Sonos system?
Never left them.

TwoHandsTenThumbs

Gold Supporting Member
My CDs have been gone for over a decade, now nearly two. No interest in returning, tbh.

Between streaming, a networked drive, and a quality listening setup with a good DAC, I’m happy. I also have a small, tightly curated vinyl setup that scratches the physical media itch.

Trending Topics