Has anyone had any reliability problems with their Digidelay?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Pappy, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Pappy

Pappy Member

I went to GC this weekend to try out a Digitech Digidelay and was told by the salesman that his died within a few months of use. I wouldn't have thought much of that comment but the unit I tried malfunctioned right out of the box. Mostly, the delay time for the tape echo setting only worked in the last 1/4 of it's range so you could only get long delays. I actually liked the tone of the pedal quite a bit and it fits my price criteria. I just wonder if anyone else has had problems. Thanks.

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Mine isnt that old but so far it works great! I'm still debating to get something else! Boss has always worked for me for years!

3. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

No problem with mine. I've had it for about 6 months.

4. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Had mine for a while now, no problemo.

<knocks on nearest piece of wood>

5. Marcello

Marcello Member

no problem, been playing it for one year. Great unit !

6. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

I've had one close to a year with no problems at all. I think they sound really good and for the money, are hard to beat.

David

7. ABKB

ABKB Member

Had mine about a year now I think. No problems. Sounds like you just got a bad one. Can happen on any pedal. I also wouldnt put much stock in GC talk.

8. Pappy

Pappy Member

Thanks for the replies. It just made me a little nervous. I'll probably pick one up soon.

9. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I tried one. It was bad right out of the box so I returned it and never tried another. I had concerns like you before I ordered it, but figured I'd give it a shot based on some recommendations on the board here.

10. righthandman

righthandman Member

I've had one for about a year and it's still running just fine, I've used it on a ton of gigs. And if you put it on the "Mod Delay" setting and set the repeats and time knobs to zero it can do a decent chorus sound.

11. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Same here. Bought the Boss DD-20 instead. Much more betterer.

12. drolling

drolling Member

Yes ladies & gentlemen, the days of the indestructable mass-produced pedal would appear to be over.

I've worn out many VCRs, CD players, DVD players etc, and now I only get the absolute cheapest one I can find, as it appears that even high-end stuff just isn't made to be repaired anymore.

Even fridges & stoves don't seem to hold up like they used to..

But it bugs me more when one of my guitar pedals dies. No rational explanation, other than the fact that I get a lot more attached to my gear than I do to 'appliances'.

Somehow, I think we can only blame ourselves for this situation. But that's another topic for another forum.

To get back on topic, my DigiDelay's still fine. It's the pedal I bring to bar jams and has seen plenty abuse. Have you taken a look inside? Micro-miniature components w/everything mounted to the board. Disposable.

Apparently, if you want the kind of build quality that we used to take for granted in inexpensive old Boss pedals, you've got to pay real money today.

13. brent

brent Member

I've had one bouncing around in my gig bag for awhile now with no issues except for the fact that it doesn't like OD's ahead of it.

14. Pappy

Pappy Member

I can really relate to your comments. A few years ago, I bought a Phillips stand alone CD burner. Right before the warranty ran out it broke. They fixed it but it only lasted another year before it broke again. Frankly, I don't feel comfortable spending money on another one nor have I repaired this one.

My main gigging delay is a DD-20. For recording I use my Deluxe Memory Man. One of my bands is a classic rock cover band. I mainly wanted a cheap delay that I could use for the space sounds in Whole Lotta Love. I didn't really want to spend $200 for something so silly so I thought the Gigadelay would be perfect. I suppose I'll buy a new one from GC & just return it if it's defective.

15. megatonic

megatonic Member

You may have had the output plugged into the jack other than the
    "1 mono" output. This will cause issues.

16. hpsauce

hpsauce Member

Never had a problem with mine, and I mistreat it enough.