Has anyone had quality issues with their Peavey Classic 30 COMBO?? Discuss!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by semi-hollowbody, Jan 30, 2012.

1. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I have had my classic 30 for 4-5 years...I LOVE the sound...it really is a great sounding amp, very usable drive channel, and LOUD as hell

However I have had tube rattle problems and tube rattle related issues that make my amp completely undependable!! I use it at home ALL the time, but I cant take it out...

I am hoping that getting the sockets re-tensioned fixes this but havent found a dedent amp tech

I even considered dumping my amp and buying another one used...or even buying a HEAD and a 2x12 or 4x12 cab...like I said I love the sound, hate the reliability issues

so is it just me or have a lot of others had problems?

2. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I have 2 friends with Classic 30's and both have been reliable, but they are not gigging right now, so the amps sit at home most of the time.

Isn't there a shield you can buy on ebay for the EL84's to help with the rattle?

3. dcooper830

dcooper830 Member

I have two Classic 30s. They're both equipped with Tube Tamers.

One has a little rattle but it's very negligible.

The other has pretty bad tube rattle and the Tube Tamer doesn't prevent it at all. It comes through the speaker. But if I turn the amp up loud enough it drowns it out.

I can only use that amp for jams and non-mic'd gigs. If mic'd you would hear the rattle through the P.A. during quiet parts.

I read somewhere that someone simply removed the wire retainers off their C30 power tubes and it fixed the problem. I haven't tried that yet.

I sure love the C30 combos. Beautiful tone!! But they definitely have rattle issues. It's a common complaint.

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Two things...

1) Tube tamer worked for me. Also buying some good tubes helped too.

2) There IS a reliability issue (wouldn't call it problem...unless you run into it) with the design, which is they used a couple seperate printed circuit boards, and instead of the usual (a ribbon cable, which is flexible, etc.) I heard, haven't seen this myself, but believe I did see it on the PC board layout drawings for the amp, that they use "jumpers" which are hard plastic and can with vibration, if the amp is in the wrong position (on it's face or back in the car for example over a bumpy road?) might work loose, and you'd notice that.

I've read in the past of two people that had this problem the connectors came off...

I've never had an issue, and I know folks that use them a LOT (had mine for probably 7 or more years I think...)

5. EZchair Picker

EZchair Picker Member

Here's the contraption I made to handle tube rattle when I used to run C30s. Worked like a charm no matter how bad off the tubes got.

[​IMG]

6. meterman

meterman Member

I had a C30 for many years and a C50 head too. For many reasons the C30 is not the best built amp, although they seem to be fairly durable. My main gripe was that all the fuses are on the inside, so if you blow one you have to drop the chassis to change it. The C50 remedied that, as well as having a cooling fan, much larger transformers, and just generally better build quality. Still, things like board-mounted tube sockets, where the board actually flexes when you install tubes which can potentially break a solder joint, are shortcuts in quality that *could* bite you in the ass someday.

That said, tube rattles are an issue in any combo and EL84s are particularly susceptible to it. I used JJs which are very durable, and some heat resistant rubber rings as tube dampers and it helped but never quite solved the issue.

7. dcooper830

dcooper830 Member

Wow! That looks far superior to Tom's Tube Tamer!