Has anyone heard the Reverend Goblin?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dave LaP, May 1, 2005.

1. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

It sounds like just the type of amp I've been looking for lately. A good sounding Fender style practice amp with verb, light, small and able to keep up with a "quiet" jam.

Guitar Player gives it a good write up in the latest issue.

Has anyone here heard one?

2. telest

telest Member

I owned one for a short time. Nice little amp, but little to no head room for a hollow body with humbuckers. The Kingsnake would have been more versatile. I guess it came down to; I didn't feel comfortable paying $500 for a practice amp. I do like Reverend amps though, I use to have a couple of Hellhounds.

Steve

3. Ogre

Ogre Member

Will Ray did a very positive review over on HC.

4. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I played a goblin, and thought it was okay. The Kingsnake, on the other hand, is one I want to own.

5. Blueser

Blueser Member

Honestly, I didn't think the Goblin was anything special at all (not bad, but not special), but I would like to hear a Kingsnake.

6. Pappy

Pappy Supporting Member

I owned one for a short time. I really liked the "Fender" setting as it got quite nice clean and moderately distorted tones at low to medium volumes. The lo-fi setting got a decent tweed-like tone but I'm not a fan of tweed amps. I really did not like the the UK setting - it sounded like a cheap pedal IMHO. The reverb is actually pretty good. The master volume works great and so does the 5/15 watt switch. There is not a lot of gain on tap but a boost pedal could easily take care of more gain if you need it.

I sold mine for several reasons. First of all, my tax bill was quite high this year so I needed to raise some cash fast. Tonally, I liked the amp but I didn't love it. I'm definitely a British amp guy at heart. If I had liked the UK setting at all I would definitely have kept the Goblin. It just didn't work for me, though. Overally, I probably would have liked it more if it ran on EL84s. I will say that it gets way better clean tones than the Pro Jr. I used to own.

The Goblin is definitely loud enough for lower volume jams but I found it to be really lacking in low end. I recently tried a Kingsnake and liked it a lot better but it is definitely larger than the Goblin.

Having said all this, if you really are looking for a Fender style "practice" amp it will probably make you happy. The distorted tones are certainly better than any Princeton I've heard so you wouldn't even need pedals.

Hope this is helpful.

7. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

would you defintely recommend a rivera pubster over the goblin?

8. Pappy

Pappy Supporting Member

Unfortunately, I've never heard a Pubster. I'd like to try one, though.

9. EchoGecko

EchoGecko Member

I owned both amps, sold the Goblin and kept the Kingsnake (bought both with the intention of keeping the "winner" and selling the "loser"). For $150 difference, get the Kingsnake. The Goblin is nice, but as others have said, it doesn't have jack for headroom. But run it into a 212 cab and it does sound quite huge. I dig the tone of the Kingsnake over the Goblin as well, and I'm quite happy with the decision. At first, I really only liked the US setting, but then I spent more time tweaking the amp and my hands according to each mode, and now I LOVE all three settings. I totally disagree that the UK mode sounds like a cheap pedal.

The amp really responds well to the guitar's volume knob too. BUT, I have to say that, while the gain on the amp is usable, FOR ME, this is an amp to run pedals into. I think it takes pedals exceptionally well. I run an FD2 and a ToneBone Hot Brit into the front of it and the amp is a virtual tonal smorgeshboard. To me the reverb is good if you don't turn it up past 9 o'clock. Past that the notes interfere with each other and is quite annoying (you can hear it "behind" the notes). My advice is to go ahead and get the Kingsnake and find someone who is looking for a Jenson Neodyne and trade that sucker out! I'm sure it's a decent speaker, but it's crap in that amp IMO. I put a Mesa MC90 in it and it fits really well in my opinion.

10. Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis Member

I was torn between getting a DRRI and a Goblin, and went with the Goblin for the greater variety of tones. A very close DRRI tone can be had, along with a lot of other very useable tones.

As for the headroom thing, I was looking for an amp that would breakup early at lower volume, but not as quick as my Pro Jr. The Goblin clearly fits this bill. It is NOT clean like a Twin, but then nothing is. If you are after the tubes' natural distortion, then the Goblin gets you there in spades without killing people and small animals. In the 15 watt mode, it's plenty loud (and we mic our amps anyway at gigs).

As I understand it, the Kingsnake and Goblin have the same circuit, just with the KS using 6L6's for power and a 12".

11. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Exactly. I must be frank, some of the reviews here, I don't know what to make of them. Why in the world would anyone buy a little 15W amp with a 10" speaker if you don't want early breakup but rather headroom?! :confused:

12. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

I own a Goblin and love it! You have to install better tubes to get the most out of it. I have a 50’s RCA black plate in V1, Mullard12AX7 in V2, Mullard Box plate in the phase, and a Mullard AT7 in the reverb driver.. From clean to scream, it sounds fantastic.

13. Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis Member

I was wondering the same thing. If clean tone is your quest, anything under 30 watts and 2x10 or 2x12 is going to be iffy when pushed at all. The Kingsnake will give you clean headroom at the expense of significant tube distortion at low volume -- great amp, just a different purpose.

With the Goblin and my guitar's volume knob, I can set the rig up to do wonders and not need my Fulldrive (but it do sound good when I hit it!).

14. telest

telest Member

There's nothing to make of my "review"...just stating how the amp reacts. It's not good or bad, it's only what to expect from it. I didn't buy mine looking for headroom...just curious. Unfortunately, after a long wait time to receive it, mine had a problem and had to be sent back for repair. When I got it back I decided I didn't need a $500 practice amp. :rolleyes:

Steve

15. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

has anyone compared the goblin with the carvin vintage 16? I know the carvin has a bigger speaker and runs on el84s, but both have the wattage switching feature...

16. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

I've played the Carvin, and didn't like the tone at all.

17. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

I picked one up used. It should be here next week or so. I'll post a review.

18. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

While I'm no fan of any eye-rolling, if you really have to ...

Exactly.

19. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

I'm thinking of a Goblin as an amp for my son who is 14 and as a possible stereo amp. Also as a grab n go for small rehearsals.

The size and light weight would be great for carrying around the neigborhood to jam at various friends houses.

For use in a stereo application, headroom is not as important.

20. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

I own a Goblin and love it. I presently use it at home, but I hope to play out with it soon. Its portability is its greatest asset, but I truly believe that it's a fine-sounding amplifier by any standard. As others have mentioned, the reverb is quite good, and I find all three "Schizo" positions to be highly useful.

The Goblin is best suited for those who want to achieve tube breakup at moderate volumes. Notice that I didn't say "low volume." The amp simply doesn't sound its best unless it is allowed to breathe, and even 5 W can be painful in a small room. This is not a great "bedroom" level amp. At the opposite end of the spectrum, it is not going to compete with a drummer and remain totally clean without using a PA system. The amp's focus is, therefore, somewhat narrow. It suits me perfectly, but I only recommend that you consider the amp if 1) you aren't going to disturb the neighbors by turning it up, 2) you want to play smaller venues with a moderately distorted tone, or 3) you want to record with it.

I recently sold an expensive Class-A EL-84 recording amp in favor of a Tech 21 Trademark 60. The EL-84 amp sounded fabulous, but I needed the increased versatility of the Tech 21. Unfortunately, it didn't take long for me to miss the tubes. Rather than play the "modeling" game, I settled on the Goblin. It offers a similar level of versatility compared to the TM60, and after playing it for several weeks I can't go back. Don't get me wrong - the voicings are definitely different between the amps. The Goblin also doesn't have a great low-end thump. However, on balance it is a sweet, sweet-sounding amp, and I won't have GAS again for a very long time.

For increased gain, I use a Fulltone OCD - also recently acquired. It works fabulously together with the Goblin, and I love the simplicity of my rig. From jazz to metal, there is hardly a sound that I cannot find.

I posted a review at H-C that was critical of comparing the Goblin to "boutique" amps. I think that Reverend's ads are at least partially to blame. Anyway, it's not really worth arguing about too much. At $500+, the amp is neither cheap nor expensive. It's not really going to replace an arsenal of other amplifiers. However, it does a pretty good job of mimicry, and it has an authentic tube circuit that sounds wonderful and encourages me to play more. What more could I ask for? Maybe an extension cabinet...

Hamer95USA likes this.