Has anyone here bought gear they didn't actually need?

SteveO

I don't need any of the gear I currently own, but the alternative would be to climb a tower with a sniper rifle and start taking shots at people. I do need an outlet to release the tensions of the daily grind. :)

Dashface

Haha, what a funny question :D

Obviously, pretty much everything.

Actually, that's a lie - because of my Floyd tribute, I have had a great excuse to buy all kinds of specialized and vintage gear because it is "correct"... But you could argue that every single other piece of gear I've purchased in the last 10 years has been not "needed"... That's not gonna stop me buying more, of course, and neither will it stop anyone else around here :D

lol. "NEED". I don't need to even play the guitar, I just enjoy it. Hyperbole strikes again!

eclipseall

I have five MXR Doubleshot distortion pedals. Liked the pedal so much when it was out. Still do. Best distortion MXR ever made. Specially do turbo charged Distortion plus sounding bottom channel. This pedal was discontinued. Dont need five though. Theres all kinds of GAS problems in TGP.

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
I guess all a guitarist really 'needs' is a guitar.....

I buy stuff if I think I'll have fun playing it, so I've got a few 'extras' lying around, especially pedals. But trying new things is important to me, so maybe I do need all of it.

Voodoo Blues

Music gear? No
Rock climbing gear? Oh yeah!
When I started climbing I bought enough gear that I could have climbed the real El Cap!

MjCartney

Neo-Maxi Zoom Dweebie
Gold Supporting Member
When I try to formulate an answer, I hear my inner voice faintly saying something in the background, but it's drowned out by Jamie Lee Pressley screaming "Don't you judge me!"

TimH

Silver Supporting Member
I've done this many times. It's always a temptation to buy the cool toys rather than the essentials for what YOU (or I) are actually playing.

In September I sold off my rig - an AxeFx Ultra with controller because I didn't think I'd be playing much. Some opportunities for gigging have since come around and so I have been assembling a new rig. Perspective and maturity are everything this time.

I'm 31, have a 3 year old, and loving and musically supportive wife, and we are expecting twins. I don't have a tonne of cash. So I bought an Egnater Tweaker and am building a very modest pedalboard...the essentials for now: tuner, OCD (rhythm drive), FD-2 (clean and lead boost), DD20 with tap tempo. Those are my essentials. I still have a wah, volume and SCH-Z chorus laying around that I will use as well. But that's it. The whole rig will cost me less than $1000. I feel as though this is what I "need".

My gigs will eventually be paid gigs only. If I get paid for a gig that I "need" another sound (say tremolo or reverb) I'll buy that pedal 'cause it's part of working. Otherwise I can play and grow as a player without them.

That's the world as I see it now. YMMV.

EdMan57

I bought a Roland SRV3030 rack reverb unit a fews years back only because it was at a blowout price of 70% off.I used it once and set it back in it's box were it still remains.It's really a nice sounding/well made unit and hopefully I'll be using it sometime soon.

Ed

Trending Topics