Has anyone here ever just totally blew a brake hose on their car?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, May 10, 2015.

1. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    :confused:

I mean, it was fine one minute and then the next the brake pedal was going to the floor ...under just normal pressure? :huh

Happened to me backing out of the driveway back on Mother's Day in 15. :red I drove the car home from work on Thursday and it sat for like 3 days, then backing out of the driveway the brakes went to the floor. I could understand if someone slashed a hose ..... but just dying like that from natural causes is pretty freaky. It could be rather hazardous in traffic. :eeks

2. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

It happened to me once. Like you, it happened in my driveway, which was a relief. It dry rotted through after about 12 years. I guess there is a reason why they say all the rubber bits should be replaced every 10 years.

3. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    wow, that stinks! Yeah, this car is 13 years old :eeks Maybe I should just replace all 4 of them while I'm at it.

4. krusty1053

krusty1053 Member

Yup. Happened to me as I was leaving Vancouver late one night on my way home to Whistler. Not a fun highway with only the e-brake and manual tranny for braking.

5. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Do it, Tweedy. They cost like $5 each. And, as long as you have to be messing with brake fluid anyway...

6. standard24

standard24 Member

Yeah, they're pretty easy to replace, too.

7. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

Happened to a guy going into the corkscrew at Laguna Seca. Couldn't make the turn, and went into the wall at speed. It was in a factory stock Porsche Cayman. It was destroyed, and he just bit his tongue.

We were first on scene in the safety car. Check your equipment folks.myounwouldnt just play the same strings at a gig until they break would you?

Mine are braided stainless. No brake fade.

8. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Hey, what I do with my brake hoses is our business, OK pal?! :waiting

:D

9. brain g

brain g Member

8 years ago I bought a project car (88 Subaru XT6) in San Fransisco, and on the way home to Vancouver, British Columbia, a the passenger side front brake line blew.

I didn't pump the brakes when I felt them stop working, and was able to turn off the ignition and coast to the shoulder.

I had my tool box with me, and I kinked the hose (it had come loose from the metal clip that holds it in place and was rubbing against the tire rim) at the damaged area, then clamped it with a pair of small Vice-Grip pliers.

Even though it pulled to the left when I used the brakes (which I did sparingly) I was able to get it to a Pep Boys store for more brake fluid, then drove it home.

10. M138

M138 100% Fenriz Approved

Yeah, had the the master cylinder go on me years ago on an 86 Honda Civic. I was just getting home from work pulling up to the parking space so very low speed. Pedal went right to the floor.

11. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

Yup. About 20 years ago. I had an 87 Olds 98 which was around 8 years old at the time. The line split on me when I was at a traffic light. Luckily I was almost completely stopped when it popped so I was able to complete my stop with the parking brake.

12. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

Might as well go with braided stainless as long as you're doing it.

13. Otto Tune

Otto Tune Member

Did you have a fight with the wife prior to the, ahem, accident?

14. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

It happened to my Bentley once when I was still in active service for MI5. One minute I was speeding towards Monaco and the next moment I was out of control with no brakes! The mechanic found teeth marks on the severed hoses.

[​IMG]

15. hellbender

hellbender Member

No, but I did hear once of a guy who blew a seal.

16. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Happened to me in my '67 Mustang. I was coming up to a red light at about 35MPH and all of a sudden, there were no brakes. I yanked the e-brake but that was just slowing it down, there were women and children in the crosswalk ahead of me, so I dropped it into first and popped the clutch.

The engine stalled and I skidded in sideways in a cloud of smoke and missed them by about 3 feet... I though I was going to have a heart attack, but I started the car, drove it at about 3 MPH straight to the curb, parked the damn thing and walked the rest of the way to work.

17. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

Not a hose, but had a wheel cylinder blow out on a '64 Plymouth Fury, many years ago, as my wife and I were pulling into our driveway. Because it just had the old single master cylinder on it, the pedal went right to the floor, and there wasn't time to pull the e-brake before we hit the closed, wooden garage door. To add insult to injury, I had a '56 Chevy up on jack stands in the garage, with all of the suspension components removed... when we hit the garage door, the door hinges pulled out from the wall, the door went in and tapped the Chevy, and knocked it off the jack stands. The funny thing was, at first, my wife didn't realize that the brakes had failed, she thought I was just screwing around... :thud

18. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

Happened to me while driving my '78 280-Z back in the 80s. Scary. Thankfully I had a manual transmission and a hand-brake.

19. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

mine was a strange experience; a Durango that was only 12 years old with 110,000 and it was a main (metal) line from the master cylinder, rusted right through. i was also one of the lucky ones; i was in line at a fast food joint and the pedal went to the floor while i was sitting still with my foot on the brakes, couldn't have been a better time.
    i lost my front brakes only so i made it home and to the repair shop.
    this is a VERY big deal in movies and tv series..brake vandalism.

20. swlees

swlees Member

Yes. 1988 Ford Ranger, coming to a red light at 40 mph. I had to go through the light with horn blaring and thankfully did not hit any one. Years of salt corrosion ate through one of the hard lines under the hood and it burst, emptying the brake fluid in the engine compartment. It was a sobering experience.