Has anyone here tried learning the piano?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by STRATSofPLENTY, May 22, 2015.

1. STRATSofPLENTY

STRATSofPLENTY Supporting Member

Ive been playing the guitar for over 20 years and I've always loved the piano. Has anyone tried to learn the piano as an adult? I'm currently in my late 30s. Did you find it difficult? I just started learning it and having a tough time with it, even though I find it helps my guitar playing because I can visualize the theory better.

2. KnowTalent

KnowTalent Just SAY NO to "Creamy" Distortion

I played piano for a year or so, long ago in my pre teen years, and getting the left hand rhythym back is frustrating.
    I found hand coordination much simpler with guitar but yeah the linear nature of a keyboard makes theory much simpler IMO

Good Luck

3. Mike R.

Mike R. Member

Was my first instrument. Started when I was pre-teen. Learned to read and got pretty ok. Dropped it for guitar later on simply because it's easier to move a guitar than a piano. Still ok at it. Can't comment on learning as an adult but if you commit to practice you should be ok.

4. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

I started noodling on piano a few years ago. I was really enjoying it and happy with my progress. I decided to get a different piano. About the same time I was distracted by changes going on and stopped. I stopped playing guitar as well and was completely absorbed in a different venture. I hardly touched the piano right after getting a different model but I have since gone back to the piano to begin again. I lost a lot of the ground I had covered, not that I ever got to the point of describing it as "playing piano." It was "noodling on piano" but I could do something to break away while I was building a foundation of basics. As with guitar it is easier than ever to learn many things with the technology available today. I have not taken formal lessons but players recommend you do for piano more than they do for guitar.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  5. grill

grill Member

why yes i have tried.

i have bad eyes and i guess i can't figure out that i have a left and right hand. i had to put stickers on the black keys so they didn't meld with all the white keys.

i learned chords/notes, enough to pass, (for me).

3 months of lessons.

i rarely use the piano settings on my roland 0-9 keyboard. more of the sax, horns, strings.

very satisfying tho.

not sure it helped my guitar playing but it did make me think not to step on the piano.

oh, i tried in my 50's.

6. ThePeopleofColin

ThePeopleofColin Runs with Scissors

7. FFTT

FFTT Member

Me? Like a bad typist but using a sequencer, accessing Logic sound libraries, all kinds of possibilities but yeah rudimentary grasp of keys and synths and what can be done with them adds to your list of skills.
    I play be ear, compose by ear. Using my ear and watching grid patterns on the keys.
    You can do some cool stuff with little training.

8. snouter

snouter Member

I am going to do a video of an exercise called CROSSFIT MUSIC. The workout is to do a 12 bar blues on guitar using Boogie Woogie stylings. So the 5, 6 and b7 are the notes that must be replicated on guitar, bass and keys (left hand).

9. bgh

bgh Supporting Member

I was fortunate enough to have an "old school" piano teacher. In elementary and junior high school, our mom made piano lessons mandatory. I hated it at the time. But now, 50 years later, I am so, so happy that mom forced us to take them. The music theory that that lady (Mrs. Mamie Oliver) gave us is still deeply rooted in my brain. Over the years, the vast majority of my piano playing has been in church. The rest has been at home. Only a few times have I played keyboards at a gig.

10. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

I should...we have one in the house. I'm always impressed by people who can play multiple instruments. The guitar player at my church plays piano and guitar. Maybe I'm a little jealous.

11. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

Same here. I just wing it and do decent. If I play every day I'm pretty good after a couple weeks. When I play guitar I'm usually thinking shapes and positions more than notes, on the piano it is the opposite.

12. FFTT

FFTT Member

I actually started out on Alto Sax, ended up first chair in H.S.
    Switched to concentration on bass age 14, added keys and guitar late 20's early 30's.
    Also started adding lead vocals in my later 20's and always still working on it.

13. PhilC

PhilC Supporting Member

I play piano more than guitar at this point. You can get a lot going on with piano and it's easier for me to come up with stuff and write music. I can easily get the bass part, chords and melody all going on simultaneously fairly easily where with guitar I'm just jamming on a riff or noodling lead stuff but I have to imagine everything else that's going on. I also think more purely about harmony and where I'm going where on guitar I seem to lock into shapes and patterns and have trouble thinking outside of that.

I also really happen to like Beethoven so I'm always working on sonatas -- not that I'll ever be able to do justice to one.

14. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I took lessons for 6 years from 7 to 13 and then dumped it. Years later I picked it up again. To me it's way easier than guitar, I mean all the keys are right in front of you staring at you and waiting for you to do something with them. :waiting It's a percussive instrument, so your timing had better be good, but it's fun to play. Do it!!

15. Shredzilla

Shredzilla Member

Never had piano lessons, but bought a keyboard and toyed enough around to jam on Tom Sawyer and Subdivisions. Decided my limited playing time is better spent on guitar, although if I had the time I would do both.

16. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

Believe it or not, I think piano is a nicer, more complete, and more beautiful-sounding instrument than guitar! Blasphemy, right? :p

I'm self-taught but managed to make tons of progress by using logic and working at my own pace. What I wanted to play wasn't necessarily chordal work like Maybe I'm Amazed but rather classical music which I find incredibly riveting.

Eventually, I was able to play well but it did take a lot of time and effort. Right now, I'm using an electronic keyboard with weighed keys plugged into my PC with a sampling program that makes it sound like a real Steinway. For the clip below, I used Synthogy Ivory, although I personally prefer East/West Quantum Leap Pianos.

17. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

Not blasphemy. Heresy, maybe, but not blasphemy. I kid. If I'm listening to istrumental music that isn't something along the lines of Satriani, I'd rather listen to something-piano based than guitar-based. I think you're exactly right. I also love the sound of piano with guitar. It's just the right accompaniment...to me.

18. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I had some lessons as a child, abandoned the piano for a number of years, then had remedial lessons as an adult.

I've observed other adults learning the piano - guitarists tend to have stiff hands starting out, but the ones that stick to it tend to relax after practice.

19. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

Piano is my 3rd instrument. I started in High School. Still play. But, since my time is very limited, guitar gets most of the practice time. I play once in a while. Sometimes I fill in at Church services. Someday, I would like to be able to do justice to one of Chopin's Nocturnes or Mazurkas...

20. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

I gave up guitar for about 2 years and played piano for 8 hours a day in my late teens. I had thoughts of being a music major and my University didn't offer guitar (it would have been classical anyway) so I tried my hand at piano. I never did audition though. I was too late to make up all the years and in my heart, I was a guitar player. I would never be a pianist.

It was a wonderful education. I've lost all my technique but still can play "arranger piano" and make some nice noises.

I say go for it. Learning is its own reward. I don't regret it at all.