Has Anyone here tried out the Fender Custom Shop Twisted Tele?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Droptop, May 16, 2006.

1. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

Has Anyone here tried out the Fender Custom Shop Twisted Tele? Very cool vibe to these guitars, what did you think?

2. Droptop

3. jonleecourage

jonleecourage Member

just played one today. incredible feel and great tone. really, really liked it.

4. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I have one in the neck of my Fender CS Tele. It's my 5th and only Tele, and it's by far my favorite neck pickup I've had/heard. LIGHTNIN1 described it well...fat and chewy, but it has a slightly nasal honk that I just love. Also does a fabulous jazz sound with the tone rolled off a bit. It's quite warm sounding, unlike some overly clean, bright, antiseptic sounding units I've heard, and has slightly higher than average output. If you can't tell, I'm smitten by this one. A keeper for sure. AC

5. Droptop

It is a pickup, but its also one of the new Limited Edition Master Design Guitars coming out of Fender. You play it and it feels like you've been playing it for years. Very comfortable and great tone!
    Paul

6. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Cool. Where can I see one?

7. jonleecourage

jonleecourage Member

Yes! Well described. How the heck do they do that and why isn't it done on every guitar????? It felt awesome. Like playing a 40 year old guitar or wearing a broken-in pair of jeans.

8. thintele

thintele Member

9. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

there's one of these on gbase right now. it's actually a team built one not a masterbuilt one. it's used and selling for about $2600. i'm really torn between buying this tele now or saving up a little more and buying a historic 59 reissue(there's an absoulte beauty at marks guitar loft for under four grand). but the look of that tele with the bigsby and the light relicing are very attractive to me. i'm more of a rythym player so i'm drawn more towards tele's(i like les pauls more for lead work).

anyone else play one of these? i'd like some more input. i'm playing through an harry joyce custom 50 and a silverface twin. i'm going for a black crowes/stones/aerosmith type tone(just for reference).

10. tbhuey

tbhuey Member

I have a team built one that I got from Buffalo Bros. in CA. I love it, I haven't played a ton of Tele's so I can't really compare it to others. It does feel just right, nice and broken in and it just had a certain mojo I couldn't resist. It even smells old...

Bob

11. scuba200ft

scuba200ft Member

I own one of the masterbuilt versions, and it is without a doubt the most soulful Tele I have ever played...Not to mention hot as hell..It rocks!

Shawn

[​IMG]

12. Droptop

Shawn,
    Did you compare yours to one of the Teambuilt models? Other than getting Yuriy's undivided attention to details on your guitar what was the difference between your Masterbuilt and a teambuilt?

13. jonleecourage

jonleecourage Member

I think they're all team built:

"Fender Custom Shop Senior Master Builder Yuriy Shishkov will personally oversee this limited-edition run of 100 Team-built Master Design ’50s Twisted Telecaster Light Relic LTD guitars."

14. Droptop

Supposedly 50 are masterbuilt , not teambuilt and sell for quite a bit more than the others. I can't imagine what would be better as they already sound pretty amazing and as Sean put it...they rock!

15. scuba200ft

scuba200ft Member

Negatory....

The "Twisted Tele" was the 2005 Mater design series guitar for the year.. There were 50 built by Yuri himself, and another 100 "teambuilt". Specs are the same , but the MB are just perfection personified. Best wood (very light), just great. The teambuilts are awesome too, own a few Teambuilt strats...

Shawn

16. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

what's a good price for one of the teambuilt ones? buffalo brothers has a used team built one for $2699. i want to see if they'll go for $2400. can anyone chime in and let me know how much they paid for theirs? or if you're not cool giving that info for the public would you email or pm me?

17. scuba200ft

scuba200ft Member

Thats a fair price. The MB's were close to $5k.....

Shawn

18. tbhuey

tbhuey Member

That's a good savings...I think new it was $3199 or $3299. It's not like it doesn't look used already :), just make sure they got the papers...

Bob