Has anyone installed a Mini gain structure switch in a Friedman DS?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by skunizzi, Nov 10, 2017.

1. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

how much was the kit?
    I might it to mine...

2. Mr Boggie

Mr Boggie Member

Is this still an available thing?

3. LP Freak

LP Freak Member

Yea, it’s available. Just contact Dave and he’ll hook you up

4. LP Freak

LP Freak Member

They’re like $25

5. NamaEnsou

NamaEnsou Supporting Member

I just installed mine last month.

Mr Boggie likes this.
  6. shawnguess

shawnguess Member

I've reached out to Friedman with no reply as of yet. Is there anywhere that I can get the details on how to do the 3-way gain switch mod to my pre 2016 BE-100? Thanks!

7. NamaEnsou

It's hard getting a response sometimes but they will eventually, especially if you specify that you haven't received a call back. There's also the e-mail direct to Dave which I think has worked very well for some others.

8. Robboman

Robboman Member

BUMP! It's June 2019.. I just bought an older used DS combo, I REALLY want to install the S switch. Scoured the Internet, can't find any finer details.

It looks like just a 3-way toggle, one cap, two resistors and some wire, but the best I can find to support this is one very blurry youtube vid that shows what it looks like installed in the chassis.

I just emailed Friedman support, but I'm fearful I might not get a reply since my need is very small-potatoes and insignificant $$. No phone numbers for anyone at Friedman are posted on their website.

Can anyone here post a detailed list of the parts (values) and instructions to install??? OR, post some detailed pictures of it installed from inside the chassis?

This would be so helpful, probably to many others too. :)

9. WBellman

WBellman Supporting Member

@Robboman check your messages.

Robboman likes this.
  10. Ryno1331

Ryno1331 Supporting Member

All I know is you'll love it. I play on the lowest setting with the master and gain cranked 90% of the time.

Robboman likes this.
  11. Robboman

Robboman Member

I'll be patient and see if I get email reply from Friedman Support soon. (http://friedmanamplification.com/contact)

Thanks to whomever made this video, but if any you guys can actually see the cap and resistor values and the wiring points then you have better eyes than me ;) You can at least sort of see the switch from inside for a few secs (around 0:18 to 0:23). I would love to see a few high-res still pics. In this vid I see just enough to know there's not too much involved there really.

12. Robboman

Robboman Member

Update: It wasn't Dave, but my email was answered and I'll be buying the S switch kit for $25 + shipping. I also got this peek at the install instructions. Great service, fantastic!

[​IMG]

13. NamaEnsou

I almost suggested just buying the kit the other day but thought you were wanting to just buy the small pieces yourself to assemble.

Anyway, this photo is the one that I finally used when I did my install and I went with the wired-over-the-top option shown. Make sure you get the additional loose resistor, as I had to call and get one sent after the switch had arrived without it.

Robboman likes this.
  14. WBellman

I'm wondering if using a BE-OD in front can serve the same purpose as the FAT and SAT mods?
    Tons of juicy gain, versatile EQ, and the 'Tight' control is a mini miracle for high gain playing.

15. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

How'd the mod end up working out for you? Seems like just a few of us went for modding the old model.
    I know Raybarbeemusic is also knowledgeable about that mod. He first explained it to me, along with Rob from Friedman, who strongly recommended it to me also. I never talked to Dave about it.

16. NamaEnsou

It works great and I was glad to have done it, but it now belongs to my recording engineer and he's really liking it. Really enjoyed my time with Shirley, but her friend with the Smallbox has been a better fit for me.

17. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

great! Loved my time on the Smallbox and think it sounds equally great, but had to admit the stuff I was writing sounded better on the DS. Hard to choose between lead and bass circuit tones when both are classic. :)

18. NamaEnsou

I would have absolutely kept the Shirley if I were interested in having a collection of amps to choose from, but the Smallbox really feels like such a perfect match. At least I can always use the Shirley when I'm in the studio now. Win!

19. Robboman

Robboman Member

Update to my update for future searchers on this topic:

1). Got DS40 S Switch Kit in the mail from Friedman.
    2). Installed.
    3). Played amp.
    4). Happiness ensued.

This switch works really nicely as others have said, it opens up a whole new range of lower gain options on the two new switch settings without giving up anything, since the exact original gain voicing is still there too. This is very well worth doing!

20 min easy install if you have basic soldering and ability to follow simple visual instructions. You just need a drill with a bit to fit the 3-way mini toggle, small wrench to tighten it in place, wire cutter/snips (if you like to cut off excess wire length to make it fit ideal and neatly) and a soldering iron. The metal chassis behind the faceplate is already drilled for 4-hole input, so you only need to drill through the plastic faceplate where the switch will go.

Pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NamaEnsou, EL34 and SgtThump like this.
  20. WBellman

Nice work! I've settled on the middle position with the PT-20 using the BE-OD to get things crazy.