Has anyone modded an OCD?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jamison162, Jan 24, 2008.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Mainly interested to see if anyone has modded a v3 to reduce bass and possibly added a tad more mids?

2. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

There are already 4 versions of this pedal out there - I am sure one of them probably sounds like you want, all you have to do is dig through about 500 threads to figure out which one is for you. :jo

3. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

With all the versions out there and my level of frustration with trying to find the right one for my setup, I'm about to mod my V1 with a new owner.

4. jamison162

jamison162 Member

You want it done right, do it yourself! :BEER

5. Ray Gianelli

Ray Gianelli Member

I've never opened mine but aren't they potted with epoxy from the manufacturer?

6. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

Well, I just received a brand new one that if you believe some would be considered v4. It's become a running joke. Anyhow, I had a Zvex Box of Rock before and if you want to talk about adding bass, that pedal had it in spades. The OCD was a home run for me so far. I haven't tested it live, but the pedal has a nice harmonic character and presence my BOR didn't have. It does seem to add some bass but not much in comparison to the BOR. It's not supposed to be a tube screamer so if you're looking for a mid-hump...wrong pedal. I think it sounds like my Marshall 2061 turned all the way up which is exactly what I wanted because even at 20W, I couldn't ever get that kind of distortion out of the amp without getting kicked out of my band.

So, I don't know if I've got the same one as you or if mine is tweaked different, but I'm really bonding with that pedal.

7. southpawmax

southpawmax Member

I am pretty sure there are only three versions and the V4 was a joke at the Fulltone factory.

8. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

This whole OCD-revision thing is a real drag, because there seems to be a lack of official word on what is really going on.
    The fulltone site said 3 versions only. Then some pedals have "V4" written on the inside. One rumor was that it was a joke, but I doubt they would keep writing that inside if it were not true.
    Then there have been the pics of pedals with different components from the same time period.??
    The bummer is that I loved the character of the V3 but it just produced too much fuzzy bass and not quite enough mids when running higher gain through a fender-style amp. If I could get a touch more mids and less bass at higher gain settings I would love it, but I don't want to buy a new one unless I know for a fact it is different. Conflicting reports as to whether there is a new version.

9. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

The only mod that works is to sell the ODC on the emporium and pick up a BJFE Emerald Green Distortion or a Dyna Red Distortion.

10. mtmartin71

Well, you were in this thread too with Paul Parrish saying there is a different version. Problem for me is I don't have a supposed v3 to compare to. The one I received though sounds good to my ear. Then again, I'm playing it through a NMV Marshall so mids are its natural specialty. Like you, I find it frustrating you can't get a straight answer but less so now that I received my pedal. Whatever version mine is, it is certainly working for me.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=333679&page=2

11. ezcletus

ezcletus Member

:BEER

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

A big problem I have with descriptions...like "mid-hump" for one example is that while there is a whole range of frequencies that are included in "mid" but some of them sound boxy, some of them help cut, etc. I think we tend to think (as human nature goes) of the "bad" mid frequencies when someone says something has a pronounced "mid-hump" we assume (at least I do) that it is the boxy one...where the Zendrive has a mid-hump that to me the way I set it doesn't sound boxy at all, and cuts.

This is my roundabout way of asking you guys, when you say the OCD v.3 has a "lot of bass" is it TIGHT bass, good bass, or is it like "brown sound" muffled bass?

I'm really interested in the OCD and have been saying that for a while, but where I am it is hard to get ahold of one. I'll order online soon, even though I have more than enough OD's I have a feeling the OCD is just the thing. I am still not 100% sure what a "brown sound" is, but I suspect it is into the territory I think of as inarticulate and muffled.

Would really like to hear opinions on narrowing down the bass thing.
    The Klon for example has a GOOD bass sound in it when used clean or dirty, though dirty it gets into the boxy-mid area too.

Also any thoughts on "brown sound" and if I am on or off the mark appreciated.

13. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Supporting Member

14. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

When I say too much bass, I mean this: When turning the drive up on the pedal, the amount of low end increases, not just the degree of saturation. In fact, at those higher gain settings, the amount of low-end with the pedal on is more than the low-end in my clean sound with the pedal off. I don't want that to happen with any overdrive/distortion unless I can dial it in or out that way.
    Also, if I compare the sound of the OCD into clean amp, vs. that same amp overdriven (plexi type), the amps natural drive has more midrange content than the OCD's drive, somewhere in the 600-800 hz range would be my guesstimate.

15. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I have a brand new one (dated '08) and it is a bit bass heavy (which works fine w/ my rig), although not at all muffled sounding. Haven't played the other versions, but this one sounds very balanced to my ears- just the right amount of mids and highs. Amazed how well it cleans up, loving it so far :AOK

16. mtmartin71

I'm with you. Again, my comparison point was the Zvex BOR. In that respect, the OCD's bass is pleasing whereas I couldn't dial out the woofiness of the BOR no matter what I did. Again, could be the rig. I'm using the 2061x and cx (2x12 closed back).

17. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Thanks to you and windup 43, that was what I was wondering about.
    So I am getting that you don't like that the bass is more prominent than what the amps clean puts out, BUT that the bass is a pleasing bass, not woofy or muffled, which suits me well actually.

I think I am going to have to get one :dude

18. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Ha, I just sold my MojoDrive and kept the OCD. There was a certain mid frequency in the Mojo that I didn't like and couldn't dial out. Definitely more TS than the OCD.

19. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Yeah the bass output is an issue with the OCD which is why the mods started surfacing in the first place. Also I found that the OCD gain pot is only usable up to about noon after that it started sounding worse. One tip I've since learned is that if you want more gain from the OCD set the gain @ 10:00-noon and hit the front end with a boost. It sounds better that way than turning up the gain pot.

I think I will revisit this pedal when my new amp arrives. Even if V.4 is vaporware I can mod the pedal to fix what I perceived as deficiencies with v.3 (too much bass not enough mids)

20. Lefty

Lefty Member

I'll jump in on this one. I just got a v3 from a fellow forum member, and I would have to agree with most of the thoughts here. I had a v1 OCD for a long time and comparing from memory, the things I do like about v3 is the added gain and leveled out vol. But there does seem to be a lack of treble (or added bass). And I completely agree anything above 12:00 on the gain it gets too bassy.

I think tweaking the OCD can be a losing battle, change this well now I need to change that.

With v1 I would have it set

vol : 9:00
    tone : 12:00-1 (ish)
    gain : 3:00
    HP mode

v3

vol : 12:00
    tone : 3:00-4
    gain : 12:00
    LP mode

Maybe 18vlts will fix things.