Has anyone played a Heritage Victory head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 57special, Mar 16, 2006.

1. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

I know it's not even listed as a model, but i know there are at least a couple out there. Apparently, what the Briton II is to the Briton, the Victory head is to the Victory (or at least i think so, hence the post).
    If you have played one, can you compare it to the Victory, or to the Briton II? Does the Victory head have a lot more gain than the Victory? Oh and while we're at it, has anyone tried another speaker besides the stock G12H30 in the Victory combo?

2. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    i picked one up 4/29. main channel is same as combo according to PaulC (talked to him a couple nights ago). OPT is different (Heyboer multitap vs. Merc Mag single wind for the combo). Ch. 2 sounds more tweed-deluxe-ish to me. blending the channels gives me the sound i'm looking for. before the buy i cranked it @ CB Perkins in one of the studio rooms w/decay-o-caster's ZBest loaded w/Red Fangs. great sound. last Sunday took it over to BrewBeck's loft and cranked it through his and decay's Ken's cabs (Two Rock, A. Broun Sound) each loaded with vintage Vox Silvers. yow :eek:

so now i'm thinking a vertical 2x12 w/a G12H30 in the lower to get that combo sound i loved so much, then something TBD in the upper spot, with switch to use either speaker or both. the idea is a real-estate-efficient cab that i can use w/my Vic head or Colonial head. talked to Peter @ Heritage Amp's custom cab shop & he'll build it. now i'm just waiting for CB Perkins to get me a price and for me to sell more stuff to get it.

great amp, more info and maybe clips to come

:cool:

3. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

I own Two. They are killer! Paul hit the sweetspot with this baby.
    Cant say enough about it. Can cover a lot of ground tonally, and loves pedals too.[​IMG]
    Here is a pic of mine.

[​IMG]
    BAck cover off, Its built to last forever.
    Thanks.
    O

4. guitarman_1

To elavorate on my comments. I use it with a 2x12 alnico blues cab, and a 2x12 red fang, scumbag sa12h-75 cab. It rock with either cab. Its a lot more flexible than the combo, and the second channel in the trick along with the cut control. It will sound like a vox in a way with the blues, a marshall with the other cab, and with jensens it will do fender tweed or backface too. The gain is not into the upper rock type, as paul desinged it to go fot eh max wattage and volume before real distortion sets in. It will rock with a lester though. For the money the head is a steal.
    :AOK

5. 58relic

58relic Member

wow, beautiful!
    I'm glad Paul went for max volume before distortion. Good od can cover that. Is there any special od that you really like with the Victory?
    Btw, the tolex combination and the chickenheads is spot on. I'm pretty sure I saw pics of a Victory head with an orange/creme combination a few weeks ago before the meltdown, that looked good too.
    Is it the same size as the Briton II ?
    Thanks for the pics, this is the exact one I'm going to order.
    Cheers! :BEER

6. guitarman_1

Same size head cab and chassis for all Heritage amps I believe.
    the color scheme was my idea as a tribute to Fender. Blond and
    Blackface era. It loves my Zendrives, and TIM. For higher gain it loves the Barber DDSS.
    This amp takes to pedals like a fish to water.
    Thanks
    O

7. 58relic

58relic Member

Don't you miss the reverb? The combo seems to have an extremely nice reverb on board, though don't miss it too much on my Briton II head. Still on the list for a TIM, have a TIMMY, but something inside tells me this amp will like my Eternity extremely well!
    Again killer colour scheme. :AOK

8. KLB

KLB Member

The Victory head is a honey of an amp!

Right now I am running a 5Y3 rectifier with tubes biased at 23ma. The 5Y3 reduces plate volts to 350 or so, and knocks off a few watts so I can turn up the master and gain more compared with using the stock 5AR4.

I've gigged the amp with a Jazz/Funk trio in a medium sized, noisy restaurant, using a TIM and Zendrive for light and medium OD.

Speaker cabs are either a 1x12 Tone King with stock TK1891 speaker, or a Top Hat 1x12 with Celestion Blue.

The tone controls work very well -- particularly the Focus control, which lets me dial in the desired upper note emphasis with single coil S-type guitars.

I highly recommended the Victory for a medium wattage amp. It is an excellent value.

9. hawkeyeinexile

yes. i had (& loved) a Brit II, still have the Colonial, now the Victory. somehow i got one those special highly-prized Colonials that's 1/4" deeper :p

latest stuff: tried my Vic w/some of decay's cabs. i already know how good it sounds w/his 2x12 Silver Bells (a transistor radio would sound stellar through that) and BrewBeck's (learned from PaulC that Vox Silvers are identical to Cele Blues but for the paint).

yesterday ran the Vic w/a Z 1x12 w/Red Fang and a Ken's Cab 1x12 w/Jensen P12{N?}, a StevoCab 1x12 special w/Fane. very different, all highly desirable. this weekend d-o-c's putting together some more combinations i hope to beat on - Highway 61 w/Scumback & P12P[? - some kinda rare thing] and a couple other 1x12s. i'm following KLB's mods and ends w/great interest.

have talked to Peter @ Heritage Custom Cab shop about a cab that'll do double duty for the Vic & the Colonial. he got my Colonial cab and had a custom back done for it. i got to like it the way it was, but his was a great idea. heck why didn't i thinka that? :jo

10. 58relic

58relic Member

Wow, you sold the Briton II ?
    For me it's definitely a keeper. Perfect for my band situation and it's smaller size and being not that heavy is a great plus too.
    Though I'm really lusting for the Colonial, I also have an Aiken Invader II 30, which is also a keeper.
    So yesterday, took the plunge, and ordered a Victory head.
    Yes, the Fender blond/blackface tribute one (thanks guitaman_1 !).

I use a THD 2x12 or a Bluesbreaker 2x12 ('70 greenbacks).
    Both are perfect with the Briton and the Invader.
    Wonder how the Victory will do with these cabs.

Then again, need som blues (or silvers) .... :BEER

11. 57special

- So, does the Victory head have as much gain as the Briton II?
    - The reverb on the Combo is really nice... not sure i'd want to lose that and the classic tones that go along with it.

12. guitarman_1

I dont think it has as much gain, but it will get up and dance with HB pickups. Its a killer head though. Tonally can cover a bit of ground.
    Paul knows how to voice an amp. When the designer tell me its his favorite amp, I got to listen. Glad I did.
    :D

13. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

What's the difference between the Colonial and Victory. I was under the impression that the Colonial is everything that the Vic. is and more (marshall plexi) without the reverb.

14. 57special

I own a Victory combo, and had a Colonial. The Victory is a Deluxe reverb with a few twists (Paul says it isn't, but it's an easy and relatively accurate non-technical way to describe it). A Colonial is a like an encyclopedia of Marshall sounds from the early 60's to the early 70's. The have a similarity in their tonal crispness, but i think of that as a Paul C. thing as his Briton II has it also, as does the Tim.

15. KLB

KLB Member

Well, um, just like Paul says, the Victory isn't like a Deluxe Reverb, especially the head -- other than using a tube-rectified pair of 6V6 tubes.

What are some significant differences?

- The Victory EQ gives more control over the critical midrange via the Focus control and other voicing differences. It doesn't have the overly deep bass of the Fender tone stack (which every Fender user knows results in farty/flubbiness if the Deluxe Reverb amp is pushed with the bass too high.)

- Victory tubes are partially cathode biased, which knocks off a couple of watts and softens the attack and onset of breakup.

- The Victory does not have Negative Feedback, unlike the DR. This opens up the amp and improves the quality and transition to distortion.

- The output transformer puts a slightly higher load on the plates, and is larger than the DR OT.

- The phase inverter is like a Vox AC-50, using a 12AX7 that is tuned for balanced output.

- The Victory has a Master Volume after the phase inverter. The gain of the entire amp circuit is tuned to the requirements of 6V6. You can crank the Victory to 10 and get useable tones, where the DR has too much preamp gain and the breakup transition and character isn't nearly as sweet, IMO.

- The 2nd channel on the Victory is a parallel FX loop, or adds extra gain when used in parallel to channel 1. It can also be used as a 3rd gain stage via a short cable in the loop.

- The Victory has separate sets of dual outputs for 4, 8 and 16 ohms, and is very convenient to bias. It is easy to switch between different cabs. It is easy to use a 5Y3 instead of the stock 5AR4 to vary the wattage and feel.

- The DR uses a steel chassis instead of aluminum, and the tubes and transformers point down. This results in a much hotter running amp.

- The DR has two channels, and Reverb and Tremelo (what Fender calls Vibrato).

Conclusion: The Victory and Deluxe Reverb are significantly different amps that don't play and respond the same.

I much prefer the Victory! Paul C did a fantastic job on this amp.

16. 57special

Ken,
    I own a Victory combo, not the head. It has reverb. It does not have a MV or two channels, and i was very careful to say (not wanting to contradict Paul, after all he designed the thing) that my description was NON TECHNICAL. In other words a simple summation of what the amp sounds and performs like. It does not sound like a Vox to my ears, nor a tweed, nor an Ampeg, etc.. The popular, well known amp it sounds closest to in terms of volume, breakup, size, and features is a BFDR... but WITH A FEW TWISTS.

17. hawkeyeinexile

Colonial is 50w or so, uses EL34-type & 6L6-type tubes, has preamp voicing and rectifier choices to mimic high-powered tweeds, JTM45, Plexi & SuperBass sounds, plus anything in between that you can create yer own se'f. no effects, no FX loop, non-MV.

Victory (head) is 22w, 6V6 only, master-vol, FX loop, dual channel, voiced uniquely but with elements of tweed (esp. Bassman) & Vox AC50 as an initial start point.

two really different amps.

18. gregory70

gregory70 Supporting Member

I own a Victory Combo as well... I concur with this (non-technical) assessment.

Try pushing the Victory Combo with a Timmy or an Eternity... it's fantastic

19. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I'd sure like to hear Victory head clips.

I had been thinking of superceding my '93 AC30 with something boutique EL84 (Briton II, 65 Amps...) but the truth is I do have a bit of a nostalgic affection for my Vox so maybe I should complement it with something with a different voice and a bit more versatility.

I spoke to Paul this morning regarding my order for yet another of his pedals and during the conversation he did mention that Victory head is his fave.

20. landru64

landru64 Member

i just played a victory combo at a dealer. that thing smokes! hats off to paul c.
    btw, it had a nice price on it too. email me if you want info.