Has anyone played a KJL amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by carltonh, Sep 2, 2005.

1. carltonh

carltonh Member

Just curious. However, they were/are? based in New Orleans. No clue if they still exist.

2. kram21

kram21 Member

Yes, i have one and i am very pleased with it . It is a 30 watt head with both class a and ab function. very good cleans and great distortion mainly for classic rock.This amp takes pedals so well,. especially the Klon and sparkle drive[voodoo lab] pedals. I play it thru a kjl cab equipped with a celestion v30 and a vintage 10' speaker[a 12 and a 10].

3. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I played one once at the Dallas Guitar Show. I guess it didn't knock me out or else I would have bought one! :D

4. kram21

kram21 Member

Kjl is or was still in business but i am not sure since H-Katrina

5. 69strat

69strat Member

I own a companion head.Its 20 watts class A. Its single ended (one power tube)and takes 6l6,6550,5881,6v6,6k6,kt88. It goes from jazz clean to marshall crunch. It takes pedals better than anything I,ve owned.I have a club owner cab with a eminence 10 and a celestion g12h. It has a mid switch that lets you go from vox to fender to marshall. Kenny, has bent over backwards to make me happy. I dont think I could be happier. What I love about it is that now I can use all my miss matched power tubes up.All for about $550. Wow! I hope all is well! I,ll try to email him later.

6. beedle

beedle Member

FYI:
    i just ordered a KJL companion from him.
    i sent a bunch of money, so i hope the guy i was talking to was ken and i see the amp in 90 days or so.
    this certainly goes against what i know about good horse-trading but i figured i would roll the dice and see.
    his website is up and running and responded to my emails, and seems like a good guy.
    time will tell.

7. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Supporting Member

A few years ago I spoke with Dave Malone, from The Radiators, at great length about his KJL, for an interview in TQR. At that point Dave had given up his Budda (now he is a Budda endorsee again) and was using his KJL as the dry side of a two-amp rig, one of which was a Gibson Goldtone. Dave really liked the KJL, which was a 60 watt head that started with the well-established “Dirty 30” preamp section, slaved to a (4) 6L6 power section. Malone's amp featured a 6-position midrange frequency selector coupled to a cut/boost of the selected frequency. A “boost to 10” feature is incorporated into a footswitch for lead playing that boosts the selected frequency to the max amount. According to Lannes, the bass is a second order filter that rolls off at 12 db per octave instead of the 6 db commonly found on other amps.

Malone also was using a buffered splitter box Kenny made, with op27 opamps, with tuner out, etc that could do a 15db gain boost or just equalize the signal up or down between two amps. Not commonly available at the time... A super cool box, that I don't think ever went into production.

I did a background interview with Kennny and he was a very cool gent who was exceptionally knowledgeable. His products and ideas seemed really on-target, I was disappointed that it didn't seem his company was taking off.

8. 69strat

69strat Member

I spoke to Kenny last week. His shop made it. I dont know how long it will take to get up and running again but I can tell you he,s a standup guy and Will do what it takes to make a customer happy. Now, I spoke to him about a single ended jtm45 flavored amp. Man I cant wait! By the way, the companion sounds outstanding with a barber LTD and a Tim. I have never been so satisfied with my tone!!!

9. beedle

beedle Member

thanks for the reassurance.
    i look forward to having a whack at it. i've owned a univalve the last couple of years and i'm bored with it. nothing against the univalve---it's a fine amp...i may even keep it AND the KJL, depending on what the KJL companion can or can't do.

10. 69strat

69strat Member

Well let me just say that I have tried the univalve a few times and didnt like it. The companion is very vintage sounding and stays fairly clean as you turn it up. The overdrive can be described as some what of a grind with a HUGE bottom end. It takes pedals better than anything I,ve owned. I opted for a switch that gives you 6l6 or 6v6 and just about any octoganal tube in between, ect el34. It sounds somewhat like the drz maz 18 and prescription combined. With the tim and a p90 you get some convincing Grissom tones. With the ltd and a 6v6 the strat sounds very stevie ray. Switch the mid switch to 300 and you can play beatles all night long. with the switch at 500 a tele bridge pup sceams, really fat. I know listening to an amp over the phone is hard but if your interested email me and we can set up a time. Either way ,I dont know how anyone could not like the tones in this amp. Oh yea, and you get to use up all your old mismatched power tubes as well! Whoooo Hoooo!!!

11. beedle

beedle Member

69strat:
    thanks for the info...you're getting me jazzed up! You've basically said everything i wanted to hear.
    i was trying to stay emotionally level cuz i have to wait 90 days (more or less) before i get my hands on it. i usually get over-excited if i have to wait more than 7 days, so 90 is going to be rough on me. 8^p
    as i look at the calendar, this will end up being my xmas present.

thanks for the offer of arranging a phone demo, but that's not needed. perhaps i could've used an audition BEFORE i sent the money, but it's gone now so que sera sera.

quick story about the payment i sent: i took the check, which was in a normal white envelope to the post office along with another box i was shipping...i tossed the payment envelope into the outgoing "slot" inside the post office (the letter just falls into a basket on the other side of the wall) , then got my box taken care of and shipped. i drove all the way home, parked the car in the garage and thought," oh no, i didn't put a stamp on the envelope!"
    i drove back (about 15 minutes) to the post office and told the clerk i had just dropped the envelope in the slot 1/2 hour ago, and without a stamp.
    she went to the pile of letters and asked if i could identify it.
    i said "it's the one without a stamp!"
    she still wanted to know the name on the envelope, just in case i may be pulling a scam or something.
    krazy. it worked out alright though, except i burned up another gallon of gas, at $3 a gallon, with the extra trip.

my particular companion will be using 6550's, i believe, and not swappable with other tubes.

thanks again!

12. 69strat

69strat Member

Let me know when you get it. I,d love to know what you think. By the way,mine came with a 6550, you can put a 6l6,5881 in there as well without a problem. For what its worth, I think it sounds better with the 6l6. Some people explain that a 6550 must be pushed pretty hard to give up the goods and that is what I experienced. The 6l6 is sweeter at lower volumes.

13. beedle

beedle Member

for what it's worth, ken told me the 6L6 will work but will have a shorter lifespan due to heat dissipation specs of the class A amps.
    anyway----can't wait!

14. rjlaero1

rjlaero1 Guest

There was just a thead on here a few months ago saying KLJ was out of business.

15. 69strat

69strat Member

Nope, he,s still making them!

16. beedle

beedle Member

i just got my first update from ken. he's started the preamp section...etc.
    so i guess he can be considered "in business".