Has anyone received their GT-001 units yet?

birdie_in_texas

I can haz virgins?
I got a note in the email that mine shipped last Thursday! I am assuming that these are going to be exactly "everything" the GT-100's are minus the expression pedal. I have not gotten to play with a GT-100 with v.2 on it, but I am hoping that this will be the perfect small solution for my desktop in my man cave where all my "junk" resides and I do my whittling away!

Has anyone gotten to actually play with a GT-001?

Bueller..? Bueller..? Bueller..?

Henky

Yes, it's actually sitting on my desk right now.

I like it being a real desktop unit as opposed to all those floor units ending up on my desk.
I guess Boss seized the opportunity now the much beloved POD bean is being depreciated by Line 6.
So far it's a fun toy to play with.

Are the presets any good?
As with most multi effects units 99% is crap.
Even the "Tone Central" patches from all the big name players are somewhat disappointing.
To get the most out of the GT-001, you have to build your own patches, but from then on it's an absolute treat.
The degree of depth to set parameters is beyond my expectations.
Custom amp models have like 5 tabs with settings but of course GT100 users already know that.
It's easy to chain the effects any way you like and the well known A/B channel approach will let you create stunning multidimensional sounds.

Allthough the build quality of the unit itself is excellent, the "BOSS TONE STUDIO" software has a lot to be desired.
It's pretty slowish and i experienced some crashes.
Boss software used to be rock solid but there's already a version 1.03 of the firmware while it came with 1.00...

I tried the MIDI thing but that really is a bummer and not usable at all.

Is it a keeper?
Well for me it is.
The sound quality is first-rate and the user interface is superb.
It's everything i expect from "desktop" multi effects processor and more.

gt001.jpg

Last edited:

slugworth

Silver Supporting Member
I haven't gotten mine yet. I know there are some features missing from the GT-100, but I'm not entirely sure what they all are, since the GT-001 documentation is rather sparse.

I know the GT-001 doesn't have EZ Tone. Does it have a looper or the "accel" feature?

birdie_in_texas

I can haz virgins?
Yes, it's actually sitting on my desk right now.

I like it being a real desktop unit as opposed to all those floor units ending up on my desk.
I guess Boss seized the opportunity now the much beloved POD bean is being depreciated by Line 6.
So far it's a fun toy to play with.

Are the presets any good?
As with most multi effects units 99% is crap.
Even the "Tone Central" patches from all the big name players are somewhat disappointing.
To get the most out of the GT-001, you have to build your own patches, but from then on it's an absolute treat.
The degree of depth to set parameters is beyond my expectations.
Custom amp models have like 5 tabs with settings but of course GT100 users already know that.
It's easy to chain the effects any way you like and the well known A/B channel approach will let you create stunning multidimensional sounds.

Allthough the build quality of the unit itself is excellent, the "BOSS TONE STUDIO" software has a lot to be desired.
It's pretty slowish and i experienced some crashes.
Boss software used to be rock solid but there's already a version 1.03 of the firmware while it came with 1.00...

I tried the MIDI thing but that really is a bummer and not usable at all.

Is it a keeper?
Well for me it is.
The sound quality is first-rate and the user interface is superb.
It's everything i expect from "desktop" multi effects processor and more.

gt001.jpg

Fantastic!!! Thank you for that sir!

I am hoping to just keep this on my desk and use my G3 and other real "pedals" with my Boogie. Mine shows out for delivery, so hopefully tonite I will get a chance to start making some noise!

Henky

Does it have a looper or the "accel" feature?
Sorry no looper but the "accel" feature is there and you can use six types of Accel effects.
To use them however you need to connect a pedal such as the FS-6.

Funny thing is that they kept the assign function for the 8 GT100 pedals in there allthough the GT-001 doesn't have these pedals.
But OK you can "pre-program" those if you ever plan to export patches to the GT100...

stratoskier

For any of you guys that have (or will soon have) the GT-001 ---

I'm wondering if the USB input will enable midi control via a midi-to-USB adaptor. Until Henky's last post, I would have thought that the easiest way to determine that would be by checking whether midi commands are available as Source options for the Assigns. However, it sounds like the Assign menus either weren't fully rewritten for the 001, or else there really are 8 assigns available using a variety of external sources (including midi CC, Exp pedal, Ctrl 1/2, etc, just like on a GT-100 or its predecessors)

Henky

I'm wondering if the USB input will enable midi control via a midi-to-USB adaptor. Until Henky's last post, I would have thought that the easiest way to determine that would be by checking whether midi commands are available as Source options for the Assigns. However, it sounds like the Assign menus either weren't fully rewritten for the 001, or else there really are 8 assigns available using a variety of external sources (including midi CC, Exp pedal, Ctrl 1/2, etc, just like on a GT-100 or its predecessors)
You are right: midi commands are available as Source options for the Assigns.
Such a shame the GT-001 doesn't have a midi connector, now you do need a midi host controller or your computer to connect a midi foot pedal.
Ah well it's connected to my PC anyway, after all it's a desktop processor.

stratoskier

You are right: midi commands are available as Source options for the Assigns.
Such a shame the GT-001 doesn't have a midi connector, now you do need a midi host controller or your computer to connect a midi foot pedal.
Ah well it's connected to my PC anyway, after all it's a desktop processor.

Yeah, that's a regrettable omission. My old GS-10 desktop unit does have midi in/out and full midi implementation. I gigged with it a few times using a midi foot controller. It's pretty handy to be able to use the same processor for desktop work (practice, record, etc), and then occasionally drag it to a performance. Of course, as you noted, that's not the intended purpose of the GT-001, so it's not an entirely fair criticism.

stratoskier

Oh yeah! I thought that me and Mats Nermark (Journo here) were the only people that actually owned one of these. Interestingly, I'm playing a mini gig at my daughter's school tomorrow and I'm using the trusty old GS-10 as a vocal processor. The GS10's harmonizer is actually great for vocals.

birdie_in_texas

I can haz virgins?
i am having fun aquainting myself with this unit!!!

I have found several of the stock patches fantastic bases to build upon!

i cannot for the life of me find the document that tells how to actually update the unit to the latest firmware?!?

fractal

i cannot for the life of me find the document that tells how to actually update the unit to the latest firmware?!?

If I go to the support page http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=1320&tab=downloads&skip=true, I find the 1.03 Firmware, and a note below it:
"This is the latest version of operating system for the GT-001. After downloading and extracting the compressed file, please refer to the “GT-001_System_Update_Procedure” pdf document included for the update procedure."

Can you find this file after downloading, or is it absent from the .zip?

Hope that helps...

journo

Oh yeah! I thought that me and Mats Nermark (Journo here) were the only people that actually owned one of these.

The GS-10 is still a great unit. I think the Clean amp model is one of the best and most dynamic models ever made in a sub USD1000 digital unit. Crank it up and you got a Dumblish style OD.

Cheers,

Mats N

Henky

If I go to the support page http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=1320&tab=downloads&skip=true, I find the 1.03 Firmware, and a note below it:
"This is the latest version of operating system for the GT-001. After downloading and extracting the compressed file, please refer to the “GT-001_System_Update_Procedure” pdf document included for the update procedure."

Can you find this file after downloading, or is it absent from the .zip?

Hope that helps...
It is absent from the .zip but you can find the instructions at the bottom of the following page:
http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=GT-001&id=63101093
They are kinda different because you need to set the GT-001 in storage mode and copy the files in the zip to the GT-001 drive.
Good luck

birdie_in_texas

I can haz virgins?
I spent another 30 or 40 minutes playing around with the unit last night and I am kind of shocked that it sounds so much better to my ears, than the gt-100 I bought and got rid of right away. Particularly the drives. I am looking forward to really digging into the unit over the next few days!

slugworth

Silver Supporting Member
I spent another 30 or 40 minutes playing around with the unit last night and I am kind of shocked that it sounds so much better to my ears, than the gt-100 I bought and got rid of right away. Particularly the drives. I am looking forward to really digging into the unit over the next few days!

Just curious, what are you playing through, and what did you play the GT-100 through?

birdie_in_texas

I can haz virgins?
I have had a couple of different amps and power amps to try, as well as my little Rockit 5's. The gt-100 went thru my Randall SS power amp into a marshall 2x12, as I love "stereo" sound, and my little rockit 5's. I have not run the gt-001 thru anything but the rockit 5's yet, but want to try it in front of my Boogie mini-rec and maybe even in the loop..

gumtown

Interesting you should find a difference in tone between the GT-100 and GT-001 as they are (apart from the switch differences) the same. Both use the same patches too.

birdie_in_texas

I can haz virgins?
i had the gt-100 the first week they were available, and only kept it until i had to send it back to get my money back..and from what I remember, it did not sound good at all to me..has been a pretty good amount of time since then, but I am enjoying this little unit for now anyway! hahahaha

Trending Topics

Top Bottom