has anyone run an Egnater Tweaker through a Rebel?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by windwalke9649, Feb 12, 2012.

1. windwalke9649

windwalke9649 Member

I traded a DRRI for an Egnater Rebel 30 out of necessity recently. I build pedals and do some workon amps; so I know that whether you use EL34's or 6V6's, the power tubes have far less affect on whether or not the amp sounds British or American than the tone stack does.
    Keeping that in mind; I owned a Tweaker a while ago and rememeer while the US/ VOX/ Marshall settings didntmodels the different amp types like a modeler does; it gets the point across.

I've been spending the last 2 days dialing in the Rebel 30 to my guitars and effects signal chain & the idea popped & I'm wondering if anyone has run their guitar into the tweaker then running the tweaker to a Rebel through each's send/return fx loop.

Seems if Egnater made a Class A, affordable amp ( $500-800) that combined the Tweakers preamp with the Rebel's power amp section; they'd have an instand winner.

The Rebel has a distinct British tone to it, regardless of which tubes are used. The EL's obviouslygive it that British tone, & the 6V6s still retain the British tone, just with a flatter response, less seperation & a smoother tone.(it also gives the amp its quitest setting).

Anyone?

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

You lost me at 2 days to dial in the Rebel. Took me about a minute and a half. It's not that complex an amp. But to answer your question, no. The Rebel sounds great the way it is to me.

3. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    +1 agree. Took me 2 mins to dial mine in plus.....
    I don't think it sounds British either - Egnater has it's own tones :)

4. windwalke9649

windwalke9649 Member

Some are happy with whatever comes out, i need to dial in every setting; taking into account what guitar will be plugged in, what effects will be used with what song, etc. The Rebel difintely has a british sound to it, i cant see any denying it. It doesnt sound just like a Marshall, but defintely responds and sounds MUCH more like a marshall or orange than a Fender Blackface.
    Im glad you're happy with the sound, but i want to know if someone has run one into the other, not if people are happy with it.
    Dialing it in for me was mostly needed for overdrive settings, because i use different types, ( use to just keep all amps on the edge of breakup, and use pedals for my drive, that conventional wisdom that amp overdrive is always better than pedals IMO just isnt true anymore. Ive had plenty of amps that had ovedrive that was harsh, or muddy, and ive had overdrive pedals that just sounded perfect; Zendrive and Timmy being two of the best ones.; But for me an my application; there was a lot to consider: EL's? 6V6"s?, is it going to sound better using the OD channel with a boost infront, or possibly an overdrive pedal, or does it sound better on the clean side, with the watts rolled way down using the power section for overdrive, then stack another overdrive or boost.
    There are so many possibilities, if you found your sound in 2 minutes; you're missing out on countless other possiblities. Plus there are several ways to get different cleans out of it; using the clean channel with the wattage all the way up is obvious; but I preferred using channel 2 with the gain down, the MV up and the watts up.

Its a moot point anyway; i dont really like it, especially the gain pot. Im assuming it either has a linear tapered pot instead audio; like Fender did with the Hot Rods (the regular volume was audio taper, but they used a linear so at the store you turn it to 3 and its really loud so you buy it thinking that it must REALLY be loud at 8 only to find that after 4-5, the volume doesnt really increase that much. But its the opposite with the Rebel; there's nothing from 8:00 to noon, than all the gain comes at once. So either its an audio taper with a really bad taper to it, or a linear; either way it would benefit from a different pot. Plus i find the combo to be excessively noisy, mostly from the vibrations, it doesnt feel put together tight. I know they say all combos get that because the speaker is right where all the tubes are; but my Deluxe Reverb never did it.

All in all, it was a nice amp, great value, but didnt do much for me. I find the tweaker to be a much more versitile amp, and i like how it leans more american, again; it doesnt sound like a Deluxe Reverb, but it still has a more american feel to it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012