Has anyone said you sound like a certain player?

radiohead625

I was messing around at guitar center the other day, playing a les paul through a vox and one of the employees said it sounded just like STP. This was a huge compliment to me since Dean is an absolute idol of mine, but i was kinda discouraged from buying a les paul now because i dont want to sound exactly like him lol. You know what though, i'll take the compliment. How about anyone else?

jcground

I was playing keyboards in a studio when I was in college and a guy came in and said I sounded like Chick Corea.

You could have knocked me out with a feather, even though I know I really can't hold a candle to Chick's chops.

It's always nice to get compliments.

Dave2512

Yes and it's not always a good thing. I've used some very authentic sounding backing tracks and recorded my own guitars over it note for note to the original. I was accused as trying to pass off someone else's playing as my own. Though I think a few of the people on that forum had it out for me.

radiohead625

Yes and it's not always a good thing. I've used some very authentic sounding backing tracks and recorded my own guitars over it note for note to the original. I was accused as trying to pass off someone else's playing as my own. Though I think a few of the people on that forum had it out for me.
I hear you... As long as you know it was you though. If you ever met them in person just lay down the riffs and they'll all be believers. Sometimes you just have to melt peoples faces off to get their attention.

travisvwright

I've almost recieved the ultimate compliment. The quote was actually, "I really like your playing...Are you familiar with Mark Knopfler?" In my mind my ego has twisted those words into a comparison.

bbarnard

I played at church for several years and one guy told me several times that I reminded him of Garcia. I really don't like Jerry Garcia's plaing at all (too noodly for me) but just smiled and said "Thanks". I figure a compliment is always good even if it is for someone I'm not trying to sound like.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
I have had people compare me to Brian Setzer (I wish) and SRV (I wish less). I do not play like either of them, and do not know any of their songs. All that confirmed for me is that most people do not listen to music with especially critical ears (which is a good thing as far as my playing is concerned.

Dave2512

I hear you... As long as you know it was you though. If you ever met them in person just lay down the riffs and they'll all be believers. Sometimes you just have to melt peoples faces off to get their attention.
Funny thing was it was a simple Ventures tune. Any moderately skilled guitarist could have nailed it.

tonegangster

Gold Supporting Member
Someone recently told me I sound like the Tonegangster. I don't have a clue what they were talking about.....

james...

Silver Supporting Member
I've had a lot of people compliment my playing, but I've never been compared to anyone ever.

I like that. Tells me that I'm doing something different.

Trending Topics