Has Anyone Seen Mark Knopfler Lately?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Furious George, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Furious George

Furious George Supporting Member

He's coming through my town, and I have an opportunity to see him. I used to be a die-hard Dire Straits fan but fell off the wagon somewhere after Brother In Arms and "Money For Nothing".

I'd go see him if he plays a healthy dose of Dire Straits. I've listened to his solo stuff and his collaborations with Emmy Lou Harris, but those efforts didn't really wow me.

So should I get tickets? (Sorry if I'm offending die-hard Mark Knopfler fans)

2. vintage saddles

vintage saddles Supporting Member

Edit: First response didn't offer anything.

Probably not. His setlists lean toward more recent years with a few Straits songs dashed about.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  3. Dave1

Dave1 Member

Romeo and Juliet and sultans, not usually any more.

4. BobK

BobK Member

I saw him last year in Ljubljana. Best concert I've ever seen, but not much Dire Straits material.

5. el greco

el greco Member

Knopfler is composing music that is less rock, more atmospheric and distinctly non Straits-like.
    Different textures and sounds nowadays, but expect as always to hear a few, but not that many Dire Straits hits.
    Personally, I like the direction his music has taken.

6. oldtelefart

oldtelefart Member

If you like good guitar music, don't miss a chance to see Knopfler. Doesn't matter what he plays ( and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be doing the greatest hits show) it's guaranteed to be good.
    I'm jealous, he doesn't tour Australia anymore.

7. gennation

gennation Member

He did an album or two with Chet Atkins after you fell off the wagon. There was tons of great playing and other guest players but it was very schmaltzy.

8. mannish

mannish Member

I saw him during the sailing the Philadelphia tour - very dull, zero rapport with the audience. One of the better players out there IMHO but not entertaining as a live act

I would not go again but definitely will listen again.

9. Ravindave_3600

Ravindave_3600 Member

I loved the whole Shangri-la album, but my norm is to like one or two songs per release. He's a good writer but tends toward the quiet / understated sort of thing. I'd like to hear him live but worry it would be a long two hours.