Has Anyone Seen the Doobie Brothers Lately?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Pablomago, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

Going to see them tomorrow at a smallish amphitheater. I know John Cowen from New Grass Revival is playing bass these days. They've always played well in the past but it's been a while since I've seen them.

2. chuckmillen

chuckmillen Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, it's been a couple of years since they played the State Fair here in Columbia. Memorable occasion. My daughter bought me a ticket for my 64th birthday. Great show.

Mid way through the show, my daughter Lauren, who is all fired up and into the scene (dad raised her right on great music) turns to me and says "Dad, why are these people just sitting still in their seats?" I responded, "Honey, it's the first time these folks have seen a good show "straight" in years and they don't know how to act. Dubes forever !

3. BigSB

BigSB Member

Long live Les Brers Doobie!

Honestly, imo, the Doobies are one of those bands that has, unlike MTB, morphed into a "show band/greatest hits act" gracefully and professionally. They won't put on a subpar show, and when they reach that point, they'll hang it up.

Their powerful core is still there and still cooking, so they'll always have great players with them. I'm glad they've stayed popular on the theater/festival/fair circuit.

4. htm62

htm62 Member

Saw them a couple years ago and they were awesome. I think you'll be glad you went.

5. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Flyin' Brian contributes to this thread in 3...2...1...

6. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

A friend saw them last summer... said it was a fantastic show.... he said everything was "line in"....... no amps....?

7. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

:aok

Paging Brian......

Doobie Bros. thread in Aisle 9.

8. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

An old buddy of mine is their guitar tech, so he's comping us. I don't know if we'll get backstage or not, but seeing my friend is why I'm going. The show will be icing on the cake. 4000 seat venue so it'll be cozy. I'll give a full report when I get home.

9. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

Damn you guys are fast! I popped in to post these ^

10. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Hey, should someone go check on Flyin' Brian? :)

11. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

12. Blueswede

Blueswede Gold Supporting Member

My wife and I saw them late last year at a really nice venue here in Riverside. Great show. You'll be glad you went.

13. Tahitijack

Tahitijack Member

Years ago I took my wife, who had never seen them, to see them. She was up and dancing from the opening (Rollin' Down the Highway). We have seen them several times over the years. Never disappointing even with some changes along the way.

14. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

It was a great show. We hooked up with my pal, Joe and he gave us a tour of guitarland (Pat Simmons and John Cowen's gear). All of Pat's amps and effects are off stage. He's got two Mesa MK V's in a rack and two 4 x 12"s mic'ed up. Very simple pedalboard. I can't remember what was on it, but I got some pics. As we were going back to our seats there was a meet and greet so we got in line and got a picture with Pat, Tom Johnson and John McFee. I mentioned that I was a Clover fan and John told me that they are doing a new album of their old material.

The show rocked! While they could have just done a greatest hits show, they played some more obscure tunes from old and new albums along with the tried and true. The only song from the Michael McDonald days was "Taking it to the Streets."

The venue was nice, but the wind was cold. We had snow Thursday and I don't think it reached 60 today. I wouldn't have wanted to be up there playing, but they didn't let a little thing like cold stop them. All in all, a splendid way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Go see 'em if they come your way!