Has anyone seen this permanently installed guitar cabinet mic

Oakley

Silver Supporting Member
Did I dream this? I thought I saw this in an ad on Reverb: a circular frame that could be installed between the speaker mounting flange and cabinet baffle board, behind the grill cloth. In the center - or maybe off-center - there was a mic. In the back of the cabinet you install an XLR connector. With this setup you'd have a permanently installed mic on that speaker. It seemed like a great idea, but I can't find it now, no matter what search terms I use.

If I did dream it, forget you saw this post. I'm going to make a fortune on it!

mrmatt1972

Way back in the day the Legend amp company made a solid oak cab with a mic built in, xlr in the back iirc. Neat idea, but obsolete note now given IR cabs and load boxes. I think most people would want to choose their mic and mic placement anyway.

This? Intrigued as well. Anybody try one?

Oakley

Silver Supporting Member

Yes! This or something very similar. Thank you.

WillLane

Super-common. Churches still use them...touring shows.

I have never seen this at a Church or anywhere. Doesn't mean they aren't out there, but I've only ever seen close micing, DI, or open cabs. Never anything like this.

I like the idea, but it depends on the quality of the capsule. I'm not very impressed by the quality of tone in the video on their website. Kind of buzzy and boxy; could just be the amp/guitar/settings though. Could also be the mic placement and distance.

I generally mic my amps with a few inches of distance from the speaker to get a fuller, more developed sound. When you're micing a speaker this close, you're getting a very focused sound. That paired with the quality of the capsule could make it a deal-breaker either way.

JasonE

This is interesting but I typically mic my speaker between the dust cap and the edge. I never go that close to the center. It would be worth a try for the right price.

tech21nyc

Really? They have a low-wattage amp feeding a 100 watt amp in a head. When I went to the factory I don't recall seeing isolation cabs. Great amps tho!
It wasn't an ISO cab. It was a 906 mic element as I recall that was placed behind the grill cloth so you could easily mic the cab using it's XLR out.

Luke V

Silver Supporting Member

The problem with that is that you can't move the the mic to the left or right. I never ever mic the dust cap, way too harsh for me.

I'm not advocating the product, only replying to the OP that it exists. If one of y'all uses it and can testify that it kicks ass, I will buy 3 of them. Until then, I'll just keep on keepin on with my lowly 421s, 906s, and 57s.

GDS Racing

Platinum Supporting Member
The Guytron HLB is a mic that is mounted behind the grill cloth and in front of the speaker cone between the dust cap and the speaker edge. Much testing was done to find the best sweet spot for that mic placement. We use a Sennheiser e906 element (awesome guitar mic!) which we buy directly from Sennheiser and there is an XLR out on the back of the cabinet.

This is not an isolation scheme by any means. It is a built-in mic that gives you a signal to send to the FOH and greatly simplifies setup. It also makes your sound consistent from day to day and you can move your amp on stage without having to repeat sound check with the mixer man.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom