Has anyone sold off everything for one special piece?

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by Super Reverb Swell, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Super Reverb Swell

Super Reverb Swell Supporting Member

Has anyone sold off a collection to fund a big "special" purchase? If so what did you let go, what did you get, and was it worth it?

2. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

I have not. Nor would I - I don't believe in the 'one special piece' thinking.
    That said - I know a few guys who searched for and found their personal
    holy grail guitar - and they appear to be quite content and Gas Free.

Of course it could be that they changed their diets around that time....

Lloyd_m and Okra like this.
  3. charliechitlins

charliechitlins Member

Nope...but I always think about it!
    I suppose everybody with a good-sized pile does.
    As much as I love Gibsons, and could swing that '52 Lester if I sold off most of my stuff...maybe even a '53 wraptail...I think I'd have to buy a Fender.
    I'd be too afraid of losing half the value of a Gibson in the blink of an eye if the headstock cracked.
    I've been gigging Gibsons for over 35 years with no more damage than a dink...but the thought of gigging the basket with all the eggs is scary.

4. randalp3000

randalp3000 Member

Yep.
    Consolidated a third of my stuff into one nice piece. Also keep selling my newer gear to purchase some nice vintage guitars. Downsizing

5. mabinogeon

mabinogeon Silver Supporting Member

Yep. Sold five guitars and three amps I never used to buy two guitars and one amp that I play every day.

6. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

Not for vintage, but I sold many off when a couple special guitars entered my realm.
    Had at one point 6-8 PRS at a time, with multiple's coming in and out.
    Couple special small builder guitars and all but one sold off. Still have less guitars by about 1/2 than I did at my max.

Funky Chicken likes this.
  7. Sloop John B

Sloop John B Supporting Member

I consider if often, but have not pulled the trigger.

8. brain g

brain g Member

I was $250 short when I was in negotiations to buy my first Gittler. I took my only guitar at that time, a Bond Electraglide, to the nearest music store and sold it for exactly $250. I would have taken $2.50 if that was what I needed to buy that guitar.

9. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

Yeah I purged a couple well loved PRS to get my custom thorn.
    Would do it again in a min.

That's my desert island guitar. Send me to Valhalla with it.

10. aeiou (why?)

aeiou (why?) Yeah, I'm a serious guy

I've sold multiple guitars to get myself into the boutique realm, for guitars and amps, but not for vintage. Maybe one day?

11. bdm

bdm Supporting Member

If I ever got to a point where I really knew deep down inside I wasn’t going to be playing out anymore I could very easily see myself cashing out the overwhelming majority of my gear and saddling up one “ideal” vintage piece.

I’ve had the discussion with friends before. I could quite easily see myself with my old Epiphone Cortez acoustic and an old early 60s es-335.

12. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

I thought about it a lot when my dream guitar was an early 60s ES355, and I couldn't see a way of raising the money for one other than selling off most of what I already had. The problem was most of the pieces I had with significant value were great instruments that often had sentimental value, so I could never quite bring myself to do it.

Eventually the stars aligned such that I was able to take a shot at a great 355 that was close to what I wanted without having to sell off my existing guitars, so taking my time and not parting with guitars I might have regretted the loss of paid off.

Dashface likes this.
  13. Sloop John B

Sloop John B Supporting Member

+1! In my experience, patience - and diligence - is a virtue. I wouldn't have gotten any of my current vintage guitars without a) keeping a constant eye on Reverb, forums, and craigslist, and b) avoiding the temptation to settle.

Jayyj likes this.
  14. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Supporting Member

I wouldn't. I have great gear and I've played great vintage gear, p.a.f.s, old wood etc. My Dwight stands up to it.

15. Donn Rowe

Donn Rowe Member

I do have a great vintage (1958) LP Jr. that I really like ! I have some very nice newish guitars also (R,Les Pauls. 335, Tele etc.) I might be temped for a PAF Buckered '54 Goldtop ...but I do already love what I have , some I have had for almost 20 years and for me, that's a long time :)

16. frankg11

frankg11 Member

yep

Sold 3 amps, all my pedals, pedal board, other misc stuff for a helix and PowerCab+ and a 2x12 Orange PCC Cab and Rockerverb 100.

17. Mark 63

Mark 63 Silver Supporting Member

Ever since visiting OK Guitars last month, I’ve been contemplating a big sell off to buy a vintage ES-335. Sadly, I was happy with the electric guitars I have until I played a 59 and 62. But now the baseline has shifted.

18. pepedede

pepedede Member

Yes, sold a refin. CAR '65' fender jaguar and renecked '68' gibson ES-335 with wolfetone legends to buy the motorave belaire in avatar. they were my only "vintage" guitars. I had other newer guitars. Now just motorave and R8.

happy:)

19. sikoniko

sikoniko Member

I sold 5 guitars (custom shop 62 strat, custom shop 69 strat, beano Les Paul, 64 Jaguar, custom shop 57 strat) for a 1960 fender Strat. No regrets.

I am in a similar situation now where I have 2 refins (57 and 62 strat) that I am contemplating unloading for an original 50s Strat... not sure I want to part with the refins though because I am quite attached to them.

20. slimdave

slimdave Member

I would do it, just have to find the right guitar.