• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Has anyone switched from Orange Drops to

Dirtystranger

PIO's in an LP styled guitar? What were the results? I swapped out the stock caps in a 335 a couple of years ago and the difference was dramatic. Don't remember what the original caps were though. I plan on using the Emersons in my boutiqey Lester.

I use PIO caps in all my gigging guitars, Gibson Les Paul's, Les Paul Juniors, 335's, Fender H,S,S Strats, Ibanez Les Paul clones -ARZ, Ibanez 335 clones - Artcores. To me they sound warmer than orange drops.

drpoyer

Silver Supporting Member
I like .01 or .015 in the neck. That makes a big difference.

Although I prefer PIO I have noticed only small variations in tone from material changes (PIO vs Poly) of caps. Certainly not enough to justify the cost.

Monies are better spent on nice matched pots that read over 500k and have a nice smooth taper. These with the 50s set up have a noticeable impact on how the guitar responds to changes in the dial.

Changing value at neck pup. .15 uf. for the so called Woman Tone. Bridge pup remains .22

Chandyland

With my SG I kinda sorta went through this.

Basically, I took my SG and an RS Guitarworks wiring kit to my trusted guitar tech. He accidentally broke one of the colossal PIO caps from the kit (can't blame him really; plus he ordered a replacement on his dime and wouldn't take my money in the meantime) and popped in an orange drop as a temporary sub while waiting for a new RS cap to come in. I noticed a MUCH bigger difference after getting the guitar back with the orange drop (and the rest of the kit) in it than I did after having the orange drop swapped for the RS cap. To be fair, I was like 16 at the time, so my ears probably weren't sharp enough to differentiate. I really doubt I could tell the difference in a blind test even today, though.

So my opinion would have to be no: if you're keeping the same values, it's probably not crucial to switch from ODs to PIOs.

Dirtystranger

Well, I am changing the value in the neck cap from 0.22 to 0.15. The bridge will remain 0.22
The last time I did this, I heard a very noticeable difference. So, I'll try it with this guitar and repert my findings.

fitz

Changing value at neck pup. .15 uf. for the so called Woman Tone.
Woman Tone = Marketing Speak. A .015 cap in the neck keeps the neck pickup brighter. As far as Woman Tone especially when referring to Clapton's tone the neck is slightly muffled with the treble rolled off on the tone control. At least this is my understanding.

I swapped out the stock caps in a 335 a couple of years ago and the difference was dramatic
That's cool that the PIO helped & the tone was better. Guitarists have quite a bit of choices these days when it comes to modding their guitars.

But, I am not convinced in general that PIO's sound "better", "woody", "smooth" "creamy" or even enhance the tone of the guitar. Awhile back I took a look at my Gibson Midtown's electronics. There are .022 in there. What was installed were the "chicklet" caps. The real small ones. So as an experiment I put a PIO in with jumpers and went back and forth many many times. There was no audible difference whatsoever. My EE degree tells me the same as resistance is resistance, capacitance is capacitance, current is current & voltage is voltage.

I think some of the PIO's have tighter tolerances which could be a good thing, but I don't buy in that they are better. Me personally, I'd put in an Orange Drop cap for $1 rather than spend $10-30 for PIO's (depending on brand/store) when there is no appreciable difference IMO, but YMMV.

Last edited:

Sean French

All I'll say is give the swap to PIO a try.
If you hear a diff using the same value, then there is a difference.
If you don't well, then there isn't a difference.

seward

Silver Supporting Member
I had someone replace the stock orange drops in my Studio with PIOs. Noticeable difference. I preferred the drops. Had 'em put back.

The PIOs were what I would call "woody". I swear I'd use a different word if I could think of one. Maybe darker? Definitely less trebly. Anyway, if I did it today, I might keep the PIOs in.

Last edited:

Johnny21

Silver Supporting Member
Switched from Orange Cap to Bare Knuckle Jensens (huge capsule). I switched back to the Orange Cap.

vortexxxx

I can hear differences between different caps made of different material. I once used an oscilloscope to prove my theory. Each had it's own signature pattern and yes, they were measured to be the exact same values. I wish I photographed the different patterns to post which would put an end to this common discussion. Unfortunately, I had to sell my 'scope when I ran out of money at one point. Anyway, in my opinion you can't say any type of cap is the best. It all depends on what tone pleases you most.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom