• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Has anyone tried Relic-ing using guitar playing movements

dave s

Like putting sandpaper on your elbow/forearm and playing that sort of thing?
Somebody turned me onto these Hotlicks picks which are make from (IIRC) berillium copper or some sort. The picks grab the strings like crazy making it really easy to dig in on leads. Also adds a nice metallic 'shing' when playing rhythm.

Problem is the pick completely marred the finish anywhere it hit guitar beyond strings. Very bad damage. Good thing at the time, I was playing a MIM strat for gigs not wanting to take the 'good stuff' out on gigs.

I'd bet you could naturally RELIC a guitar pretty quickly using the Hotlicks pick product.

dave

G

GuitaristZ

Ever seen those robots at IKEA where they like sit on a chair a thousand times to test it...to show that it can withstand a lot of abuse?

Well, maybe go to ikea and find a robot that can play the guitar, and leave it on for 1000 hours straight. hehe

devinb

Ever seen those robots at IKEA where they like sit on a chair a thousand times to test it...to show that it can withstand a lot of abuse?

Well, maybe go to ikea and find a robot that can play the guitar, and leave it on for 1000 hours straight. hehe
That might work, but I suspect you'll need to figure out how to make the robot's forearm sweat a little if you want it to be the real deal.

G

GuitaristZ

That might work, but I suspect you'll need to figure out how to make the robot's forearm sweat a little if you want it to be the real deal.
and the sweat would have an ideal concentration of human produced hormonal chemicals for the real deal hehe:p

eric102673

Has anyone tried Relic-ing using guitar playing movements
Sure thing. I'd skip the sandpaper though, and go with a guitar pick.
So long as you're making those pick movements, you might as well plug the guitar into an amp.
So long as you are making those playing movements with the pick and amp, might as well practice some scales and chording too.
So long as you are playing some chords, maybe write a song or play one you already know.
So long as you are doing all that, maybe try it with a band, just so you aren't sitting in a room alone while you work on the playing movement relic.
So long as you are playing in a band, I bet some cigarette smoke from a live audience and the additional handling of the guitar would add to this relic effect you are getting by using playing movements.
So long as you are dedicating the time to making these playing movements and sorta playing along to fill the time with your band, the gig pays, so in effect you are getting payed to relic your own guitar.

How cool is that?

-e.

:BEER

Pete Galati

Like putting sandpaper on your elbow/forearm and playing that sort of thing?
No. But I did adjust the arm wear on my GR Guitars relic'd Tele body for comfort. I initially shaved some more wear with a very sharp knife, but I just made some more recent adjustments using some very fine emery paper.

Sort of a matter of making it more comfortable to sit back and watch TV. The GR Guitars wear was to simulate the wear caused by playing while standing up. And it was a more comfortable shape for standing. Now it's more comfortable for sitting back & playing too.

I think that if I was going to do relic'ing, I'd probably play the guitar for a bit, and mark where I came in contact with it, and then work with the appropriate tools.

I'm pretty sure there's a lot of info on how to relic guitars. I've just ignored it so far so I don't know what the experts do.

Custom50

Sure thing. I'd skip the sandpaper though, and go with a guitar pick.
So long as you're making those pick movements, you might as well plug the guitar into an amp.
So long as you are making those playing movements with the pick and amp, might as well practice some scales and chording too.
So long as you are playing some chords, maybe write a song or play one you already know.
So long as you are doing all that, maybe try it with a band, just so you aren't sitting in a room alone while you work on the playing movement relic.
So long as you are playing in a band, I bet some cigarette smoke from a live audience and the additional handling of the guitar would add to this relic effect you are getting by using playing movements.
So long as you are dedicating the time to making these playing movements and sorta playing along to fill the time with your band, the gig pays, so in effect you are getting payed to relic your own guitar.

How cool is that?

-e.

:BEER
haha, i agree with you man. I've always felt the best way to relic a guitar is to just play the hell out of it. cheers!

PosterBoy

That was kinda the point, but with a few materials just to help it along a bit and also make the wear to be in logical places.

padavis

Haha I love the comments on this post... it is sort of rediculous to think that you might be taping sandpaper to your elbow while you play but man if thats what you dig go for it! It might work but, I think it wont look truly worn. That process will look like you taped sand paper to your arm while you played... I personally think that its hard to do that sort of stuff anymore because of the paint they are using.
However, there are way more knowledgable people on this board that dig that type of stuff so I hope someone gets on here that can help but you might also check this thread out https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/141847&page=3

There are a few really cool ideas on that thread summed up very poorly by if you sort of decide where you could see someone banging the guitar around, try sanding or dinging or whatever those areas. Try different solutions to thin the paint and mess it up different dyes and ambers and sand and steel wool, brillo pads and all kinds of stuff... but still to me it just never comes out truly authentic and thats why I agree with eric's post for the most part.

Oh and check this post out by WILL RAY!!! Holy CRAP!!! Its really him too... anyways check this out http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/gldp/messages/60205.php3
This is his "Lunch Report Post" from the G&L Discussion Page. On this particular post there are some TOASTED WR ASATS on there that a friend of his does for him. To me this is much cooler... and all you gotta do is torch your guitar!

909one

Dude.
I thought you were joking at first.
You seriously want to tie sandpaper to your arms?
That is about the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.
I can't believe its gotten to the point where people want to tie sand paper to there arms to have their instruments look like these guitars that they can't afford because some rock star played it 30 years ago. Blame the baby boomers want to live out their mid life crisis' by driving the prices through the roof.Now my friends are even buying vintage guitars because they are more valuable investments then stocks. This is really backwards.

pfrischmann

Gold Supporting Member
Begin Rant:
I always find it funny when folks try to get all high and mighty sounding when others talk about relicing a guitar, especially on the gear page, where we can have a 153 page argument on who sounds more like Robben Ford or the difference between old and really old growth wood. I'll be the first to admit that I like the vibe a really good relic can give off. I have a custom shop relic. The damn guitar weighs 9lbs but everyone that plays it loves it. It feels like an old pair of shoes.... a good deal of that has to do with striving to capture the magic of some of these old treasures.

If Hogy's clips of old strats taught me anything it was that old guitars sound better. IMHO is has more to do with seasoning than anything else. There is no short cut to experience....period. I think peole and guitars are the same on this. Like people trying to find the Dumble tone or the brown sound or an exact clone of a Phase 90 etc... Investigating all of the possible aspects are very important (Using microscopes, cryogenic treatments, sonic bombardment chambers etc..)....Again, that is how we get experience...

At the end of all of this, all you really need is a mexi-strat (or any other $300 guitar) and a Peavey classic 50 to play just about any gig on the planet. No need for gold hardware, flame maple, quilt maple, boutique pickups or pedals or cords or strings made out of unobtanium etc.....So really, there's no need for the Gear Page,....not really.

BUT,
We are all here because we are chasing the dragon, not always the same dragon but a dragon nonetheless. We crave that extra 2% that few really appreciate, including our bandmates, friends and most of our spouses. So, I'd suggest a little care when we point out others inflictions......We may be in different wards but we're all in the same institution....:horse

Rant off:

pfrischmann

Gold Supporting Member
Oh yeah,
I always wondered why someone didn't do something to actually create real wear but in an accelerated fashion....that would be cool.

61Ephramite

Oh yeah,
I always wondered why someone didn't do something to actually create real wear but in an accelerated fashion....that would be cool.
My friends and I have joked about tying a guitar to the back of a car and drag it around the parking lot. Of course, you wouldn't want to put it in reverse!

909one

Yeah, I agree that everyone has their own reasons for liking certain guitars and gear, that's what makes everyone unique. However, my thing against the relic-ing fashion is not against the people who are buying it or doing it themselves but more against the marketing and manufacturing processing that goes into it and the reasons for doing it.

Its the same thing when you buy a pair of jeans... The ones that are 'distressed' are more expensive then the ones that are brand new looking. You are paying more money for some workers in Indonesia to rub sandpaper on your jeans to make then look like they are worn, but in the end you are spending your extra hard earned dollars for jeans that will have a shorter lifespan then a pair that aren't distressed. What is the reasoning behind this? Marketing? Fashion?

Its the same thing with guitars I think.
I won't doubt that in some cases picking up a vintage guitar that is really worn in, feels really good. But I have tried other vintage guitars that play like crap, are buzzing like crazy, and sound like crap. My friend and I were in a guitar store yesterday, he was comparing a 65 jazzmaster to a new custom shop jazzmaster... The custom shop jazzmaster sounded better, the switches weren't cutting out, but it was $1500 less than what the store wanted to for the vintage guitar. Its silly. The only reason he was considering the vintage jazzmaster was because he knows in five years from now, the vintage guitar will most likely double in value. Its ridiculous. Guitars are meant to be played, but now they are collected like art.

Its all because people have these ideas built up their heads about that gear that the pantheons of rock used. They feel they have to have instruments that look and feel the way they do.

I'm not criticising anyone's choices per se, just the system itself. It's really the fault of capitalism too. Everyone is out-sourcing manufacturing of their products to attain the best profit margin so there is a lot of junk out there. It makes sense that people would want vintage guitars becuase alot of them were built better back then. However, if you have ever tried a really well made brand new (un-relic ed) guitar, like a US Hamer, its apparent that its not about the broken in feel, but its about the craftsmanship.

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
I chain mine up to the bicycle rack outside. The parts get rusty from the weather. Kids can kick it, and the dogs come by and chew on it. It's making great progress. It'll be cool looking in no time.

Top Bottom