Has anyone tried splitting TV Jones' Gretsch type pickups?

vortexxxx

Silver Supporting Member
Has anyone tried splitting TV Jones' Gretsch type pickups? How did they sound?

Roxy

Never done it but I would imagine it would sound like a really weak or reverse wound Filtertron...

GrungeMan

As in a 1960 6137 stereo White Falcon...where the Filtertron's are split in stereo...some thing like Neil Young's? Edit: or like Hilo-trons? I like Hilo-trons I have a pair and to my ears they are not thin but gritty, check out John Hiatt's "Smashing a Perfectly Good Guitar", gritty!

Last edited:

AdmiralB

You mean coil cutting? As in, humbucker-to-single?

I had a set of Powertrons in a Hamer Monaco, and I wired them up to a P-P pot for that. In single-coil mode, they sounded pretty much exactly like Hilotrons - not surprising, since that's pretty much exactly what they were at that point.

Stock TVJ Classics don't - or at least, didn't - have multi-conductor wiring, the theory being that they're too weak to have useful single-coil tones. I don't know if that's true but Tom seems to be pretty wise to me.

I have a Cabronita bass that I'm currently 'making over' - adding a through-body two-saddle bridge, refinishing (on hold for the winter). I've seriously thought about converting its pickup to four-conductor and doing a series/parallel switch, but I doubt that I'll actually do it.

Tony Bones

The TV Jones pickups are 4 wire. I have a set of Classics in a tele with a 5-way super switch. Two of the switch positions put one coil from each pickup in series; either the two outside or two inside coils. They provide a sound that is distinct from both pickups in parallel - no mud. In fact, I use either of the two new positions more than the traditional middle position.

AdmiralB

The TV Jones pickups are 4 wire.
I see that now, there's this on the web page:

Note: Shipped with 4 conductor wiring – ready for standard 2 conductor hook-up. Red and green wires are soldered and taped off for standard wiring - send red and green wires to ground for splitting coils. Splitting coils is not recommended for the TV Classic due to lower coil power (but will work). However, it is convenient for custom switching. Example: where coils from other pickups are combined in series, or parallel.

That must be somewhat recent. Or I'm losing my mind.

These are not mutually exclusive situations.

Chicago Slim

My core line PRS Starla's, come with split-able pickups that are like a 9k version, of a TV Jones Classic. When split, they add a resistor or something, so that there is very little drop in volume. The thing is, the pickups are so bright that I don't need to split them. I'm a rockabilly player, and run my guitar tone around 6, most of the time.

vortexxxx

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Jimmy Page wiring harness that I picked up years ago. I never got around to installing it because I don't know what pickups to use. All 4 pots are push-pull so it allows an almost unlimited amount of pickup settings.

cam.man67

I had TV Classics in my SG for a while. Cool pickups, but the split sound was anemic and uninspiring. I got rid of the push-pulls practically immediately.

Trending Topics