Has anyone tried the Ayan Smooth & Slim?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jops, Dec 6, 2005.

1. jops

jops Member

Does it work it's magic at lower volumes or does the amp need to be cooking before this box it does its thing? I'm interested in hearing from any who have used it.

Cheers,
    Jon

2. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

I used one around '99. I think they were made for Boogie Mark I amps, but I thought they were useful any time you were pushing a Fender.

I also liked it for the overall clarity it gave, and started using on any amp.

3. skiraly017

skiraly017 Guest

Especially if you can find one used. Does exactly what it claims and you can hear the difference at low volumes. The S&S is one pedal I will never sell.

4. jops

jops Member

Cool! Thanks for the info, looks like it's made it to next on my list of stuff to get.

Cheers,
    Jon

5. theelectic

theelectic Guest

It works at any volume, but with Fenders, works best when the amp is cranked up. When you crank up a Fender the low end can get tubby - the S&S fixes just that. The tubbiness is less apparent at lower volumes, so the "fix" of the S&S is less obvious.

6. jops

jops Member

I've got a Mesa Maverick I was thinking of trying one on. I tend to play at different volumes depending on the age of the audience or who the gig is for. It would be nice if it worked good at low volumes. I might just have to get one and find out.

Thanks,
    Jon

7. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I had one - worked great with my Riveras back in the day.

8. theelectic

theelectic Guest

The effect definitely works at lower volumes - whether you NEED it at low volumes is a whole other thing! IME with a typical Fender reverb combo (Twin, Deluxe) with the amp on "3" that farty low end is not really apparent, so the S&S, even though it does its thing, is not really necessary. Turn up the amp to "6" or more and the amp gets farty, then the S&S really starts to shine.

9. jops

jops Member

Good point! I guess it's not that necessary at lower volumes. What I was wanting to do was try and hide the strong bass and low mid frequencies which are not really able to be dialed out at the lower volumes. I don't notice the problem so much at higher volumes. I have a Boss prametric eq but I don't like what it does to the quality of sound, it does something funny with the phase maybe but it's definately there.

Jon

10. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

That's a good application for it, I think. If you buy it and don't like it, I'll buy it from ya. All this talk makes me realize that I really oughta have one in my gear bag.