1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone tried the Lava Cable Retro-Coil cable?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bloomfield fan, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

Does it sound like the ELC?

2. 6789

6789 Member

I haven't tried the lava coiled, But I do like my Bullet colied cable.

3. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

I'm going to bump this... also looking for opinions.

4. landru64

landru64 Member

since mark was next door to our booth, i tried the coiled cable. it's very heavy, but i like the sound. has a kind of midrange honk/bump that i like. i don't think it sounds like the ELC although i did not try them side by side.

5. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

Like landru64 said, its "very" heavy. Its also well constructed and has a very cool retro look. While a slight mid hump is there, you really have to listen hard to notice. I don't have a ELC cable to compare, but next to the Fulltone golds I have, the balance of tone is about the same. IMO I had to get one for use with my Reverend Volcano, just cause you got to have that thick,orange, LAVA, flowing from it. Ha......

6. GDking

GDking Member

+1 on the heavy.

7. dupedd

dupedd Member

I'm interested in this pedal, it just looks SO cool. Can anyone explain it's sound/feel some more? For instance, do you mean heavy like dark or literally the cable weighs more than normal cables?

8. eldanko

eldanko Supporting Member

Bump for opinions?

9. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

Using coiled cable seems silly to me since all you're really doing with all those coils is adding unnecessary length, thus increasing capacitance and filtering out your high end.
    If you're gonna spend a mint on high quality cable, why rob yourself of the benefits high quality cables allegedly bring by adding unnecessary length.

Kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

10. trisonic

trisonic Member

Yes, you're right.
    That's why I would like someone to reintroduce the original "Curly" cables from the UK in the sixties that we all used back then - they knocked off the top end in a nice way and were lightweight (literally all the new ones are too heavy; the coils could knock a guitar off it's stand - guess what happened to me). The only thing I would want changed on the originals is better hardware. Thanks for reading!

Best, Pete.