1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone tried the Rio Grande Babybuckers?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by CitizenCain, Feb 10, 2006.

1. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I'm looking for something to put in my '78 Les Paul Pro. I had a set of Lawrence L-560s in there and, while very smooth and clear pickups, I wanted to return to the rawer sound. I put the P90s back in place for now, but I'd still like to get something a little "different".

The Rio Babybuckers look very cool. Only one review on HC, anyone else have some experience with these?

[​IMG]

2. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I put one in the bridge of my former Firebird V. Sounded great for distortion tones but it was WAAAAAAY too hot for my taste, so I pulled it and went with a lower output pickup. I couldn't get good clean tones out of it - either through a clean channel or by rolling back my guitar volume.

--chiba

3. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Thanks for the mini-review. That doesn't sound good. I like a range from clean to raw. The P90s do it pretty well. I've got a Rio pickup in my Esquire and it sounds pretty nice. I was hoping for more from the Babys.

4. -kk-

-kk- Member

I have it in my custom myka. I didnt think it was particularly hot, but you can lower it if that suits? I have the pickup set pretty high to balance with the lollar P90s, and it offered pretty good range from clean - dirty just playing with the vol.

If you're after a meaty old school rock flavor, babybucker will suit fine. not sure how accurate this is, but Rio grande claims that its the scaled down version of the BBQ hum they offer. Its noticibly mid humpy to me.

5. stark

stark Supporting Member

Very cool but way to hot for me. They were so not interested in custom orders. Kind of turned me off.

Adam Stark

6. hipfan

hipfan Member

Some P-90 sized pickups I've tried, also looking for a "different" sound from my Agile P90 Les Paul copy (although I do love a good set of P90's):

Dimarzio Virtual P90's - Nice output and good drive tones; couldn't tweak them for a good clean tone though. Kind of lifeless in comparison to real P90's. In retrospect, I should have played around with pot values and wiring a little more before yanking them. Maybe I'll try them again some day.

Seymour Duncan Antiquity II mini-hums for Deluxe: These are great sounding pickups, and I likely will install them again when I get them back from SD. I bought them as a matched set, but their magnet orientation is out of sync. The middle position sounds like I'm playing in a bucket. SD is fixing or replacing them for free. Tremendous slide tone from bridge pickup.

TV Jones Power'Tron in soapbar size (bridge pup only) - This should be arriving today or Monday. Can't wait to try it! I think TV Jones just started making their Gretsch-inspired pups in soapbar size.

7. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

hipfan, the SD Ant II minis were also on my list. I'm reading your message to mean that the magnets are not supposed to be like that, am I correct? I'd also get a set, but it'd be a bummer if they had to go in for a magnet swap right away.

The TV Jones sound interesting, too. I didn't know they made their stuff in this size, I'll check 'em out.

Thanks!

8. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Sounds like you had the same issue I had with the BBQ Bucker Wes. And I like most Rio pups.

My favorite bridge position MINI has been the Duncan SM2. Wish I could get it without the logo. LOL.

9. hipfan

hipfan Member

That's correct. They aren't supposed to be like that, and, to their credit, Duncan customer service was apologetic when I notified them. I think it probably happens to almost every pickup maker every once in a rare while. They must have positioned one of the magnets incorrectly when they assembled the pickups.

As for the TV Jones stuff, yeah, I noticed that he mentioned soapbar size versions a few weeks ago when browsing his site. I called the shop and chatted for a while with Mr. Jones. He's a really nice guy, and seemed to think that I might like the soapbar-size Power'tron bridge for my guitar. I haven't heard of anyone else getting them, so I'm really curious to see what they're all about.

10. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I haven't tried the Babybuckers, but I have been gigging full time with a Texas/BBQ set in my McNaught for almost 4 years now and absolutely love them. I get pristine single coil tones and clear, balanced humbucking tones that don't get muddy with overdrive.

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

You need to go to Lollar for his minis. They're pretty much in the vein of his Imperial HB's - PAF with a little 'oomph'. Alnico 5 mags in 'em, and although only in the 6.95K-7.50K range, they have a prescence previously unheard of in even the best of Gibson's LP minis from the day! They're my favorite humbuckers, right now!

:dude

12. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I'm getting a lp special with P100s which I will give a try for a while. If they don't work out I may consider the Rios. I would love to put the BBQ set in my next lp standard. Do they make good sinlge coils for strats.

13. flicker180

flicker180 Member

anderson minis are also VERY good.

dave