Has anyone tried the S.D. Alnico II Pro or 5-2 pickups on a Tele

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by archtopjazz, Feb 13, 2006.

1. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Was wondering what you guys thought of these pickups?

Thanks,

Jim

2. Mark C

Mark C Member

I have an alnico II in the neck of one of my Teles, and one each in the bridge of my strats. I love em', nice warm, but clear tones from my tele and I find they get rid of some of the icepick that strats are known for in the bridge. Definately good to help tame a bright guitar without making it muddy in my experience.

3. ES350

ES350 Member

I didn't like them in the Teles---neither this nor that. The A2's in Strats sound pretty good to me, tho...

4. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I have both of those pickups in my Tele. I basically took an Am. Std. Tele and routed out what I needed to to make it into a Tele Custom.

Alnico II Pro humbucker (on a series - split switch) in the neck, Five-Two in the bridge. When the 'bucker is split, the two pickups on together gives me hum cancelling, which is pretty sweet. I usually leave the 'bucker split and just kick in the other coil for solos.

It's a thick, sweet, chunky sound. The bridge pickup can get a little harsh sometimes, but that's the nature of the beast when you're dealing with a Tele bridge pickup. Easy enough to tame though with a slight turn of your amp's tone/treble/cut knob.

Considering this guitar has the ONLY humbucker in my stable right now, I'd say it's safe to guess I like it :)

--chiba

5. archtopjazz

Anyone else tried these?

6. Robertito

Robertito Member

Here's my experience with them: I've had them both in Teles (bridge posish only), and the Alnico II Pro had a smooth, buttery sound that I loved at first, but perhaps it lacked a little, I don't know, "character" compared to a few others (for me only, of course). The 5-2 is what I have in there now, but when I bought it it was called the Nashville Studio; it's been in for a while, and it's not coming out. It really addresses the balance issue between plain and wound strings: I never thought that would've been a problem, but I like the sound of it so much I can't imagine ever using another bridge pickup in my Tele. I do a lot of commercial work, and engineers almost always comment on the sound of the pickup. I've also tried the Broadcaster in it, which was nice, too.

Ash Tele, fat maple neck, strat neck pickup, Callaham hardware.

7. archtopjazz

Hi Roberito,

Do you think there is enough difference in tone to have 2 of the same tele's, one with the Alnico II's and one with the 5-2's?

Thanks,

Jim

8. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I had a 5-2 in my Tele (briefly) and disliked it. The 5s are on the wound strings, and IMO resulted in those strings overpowering the others. The magnet difference is obvious, too obvious. Swithched to a SD Jerry Donohue bridge...nirvana. Thick, really well balanced, yet still a proper amt. of twang. That said...wanna buy a like new 5-2? Cheap? AC

9. archtopjazz

I'll probably take them. Email or PM me.

Thanks

10. Robertito

Robertito Member

No, I don't. I have to disagree about the imbalance, too; I think it's the most balanced of Tele pickups. You might differ...

11. Bill

Bill Member

I have the Pro II in a 61 Tele Custom and like the pickup. It is nice and think and midrangy. Definitely not a twangy pickup.

12. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Supporting Member

FWIW I have the 5-2 pickups in my custom shop '56 Strat and I think they sound fantastic. A great all around strat pickup and they definitely cure the ice pick treble issue.

13. righthandman

righthandman Member

Have any of you guys tried the 5-2 stack for tele?