Has anyone upgraded an ES335 Studio to 4 knobs and a pickguard?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Meals, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Meals

Meals Member

I'm tempted to grab a Gibson 335 studio, but I'm turned off by only having two knobs and no pickguard. Has anyone done the upgrades?

This

[​IMG]

To this

[​IMG]

2. HyakuShiki

HyakuShiki Member

I imagine that'd be quite an ordeal, between the woodworking and the changing of the electronic harness.

You'd probably have better luck going with something like a MiJ model like a Burny or Edwards. Probably will cost about the same or less than the Studio to import, and you won't have to do any mods to bring it up to the same setup as a 335.

3. groovington

groovington Member

I don't think the drilling holes would be too hard. Getting them lined up just right could be a pain only if you're gonna be obsessive about perfect placement. There's no wiring harness, so the hardest part is just going to be pulling the electronics, getting it all wired properly and installing the 4 pots back in there places. Honestly, I think it's an easier project just to install some concentric pots and wire one to control volume and tone of the neck, and then bridge pickup volume and tone on the further back pot.

Maybe these pots... http://www.warmoth.com/Concentric-Pot-500k-By-CTS-P720.aspx

4. marshall2288

marshall2288 Member

Too much hassle if you ask me. I'd buy a Tokai or used Gibson if it bothered me that much. Honestly though, I like the looks of the Studio.

5. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

How about double action concentric pots?

6. ESP-335

ESP-335 Supporting Member

Haven't done it myself but the rear access panel would make it easier than fishing a new harness through an ES335 bridge pickup cavity (that, I know about).

Several sources for custom wiring harnesses discussed in this Forum and elsewhere. I have one made by Brown's Custom Shop in my 335. Bill Brown could wire up one for you needs, I'm sure (no affiliation, just a satisfied customer).

How comfortable are you at drilling the extra holes? That's probably the hardest part. Good luck.

7. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

How about double action concentric pots? I'm thinking about this for my Es-339 Studio, but it might be just as involved pulling the existing electronics out as the 4 hole approach.

8. icr

icr Member

Looks like a simple upgrade. Two tiny holes and two larger holes to drill. Then you can make and fit a standard es335 harness. I'd use 500k pots. Careful feeding the output jack between the tone pots so it done not get tangled.

9. Dale

Dale Member

I would probably not do it, but it would not be hard. Not chipping the finish would be the hardest part. The layout is similar to my Hamer and Washburn so not an issue for me.

[​IMG]

10. DRS

DRS Member

Then you have the old input jack hole. Unless you leave that alone. And the mod would decrease resale. I know, we all say, "that doesn't matter to me," but it does because sooner or later, you want a proper ES 335 or you wouldn't be modding a Studio. So my vote goes to concentric pots.

11. Ulug

Ulug Member

Dude, I'd just go with a Sheraton, and swap the pots and caps. I think Epi has been doing a wonderful job on their semi-hollows (except perhaps for the electronics). I tried out a Gibby 335 Studio a couple of weeks ago, and it felt like a toy...

12. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I just picked up my second DOT and have owned the Dot Studio. I recommend just leaving it as is. Fishing the harness is not difficult if you are familiar with the process and drilling is a basic ordeal. But, as stated above, value would be severly diminished; more so if a control play is cut as hinted above.
    Some players might be looking for a more streamlined setup. I personally prefer the 4-knob layout, but as a tele player as well, I can appreciate a more Spartan layout.

There are more factors that go into the design difference as well. Such as wire capacitance, binding, etc.
    And it there was a vote, I go with no pickguard.
    [​IMG]

13. kennybro

kennybro Member

Agreed. Sheraton is a great guitar. Solid build, excellent player, great tones!

14. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Last May I played an Eastman T386 in a shop here. I was very impressed...I want one. It would probably benefit from a new wiring harness and pickups but with a street price of $900 there's room for that.

The Eastman line gets great reviews here, you may want to consider looking there.

Good luck in your search.

15. Ulug

Ulug Member

I'd love to try an Eastman too... Regrettably, there is no dealer around here where I live.