• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Has anyone used this Peak Midi Controller

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
I used it for a little while to control some stuff on my pedalboard. I ended deciding I didn't really need it that much and sold it. It's a pretty powerful little controller, though. I don't really know of any other controller that offers the sort programming it does. Four PC and 8 CC lets you do a lot. The PC messages can actually be on different channels. It would have been really nice if the CC messages could have been as well, but they're all on the same one.

texasdave

Won't be your favorite to program, initially, but after looking at their implementation it should give you a lot of flexibility with the AmpliFire. Each "Patch" can be a program (preset) change, activate or toggle an effect or effects within the preset, or combinations of the above. I'm considering it for use with the AmpliFire, if I don't wind up using my HD500x as the controller and additional FX unit.

Texasdave

texasdave

Won't be your favorite to program, initially,
And I only say this to say it may look daunting initially, but once you figure it out, it's sorta like editing the AmpliFire on the fly. Once you get used to it, you'll never need the manual again.

Texasdave

Jhatem81

thanks. I got one used for 100 dollars. Its actually bigger than i thought but i like having 2 buttons for my banks and then 4 presets for banks. I can create each bank to have 4 presets(clean,slightly overdriven,dirt and lead)....it will feel like the HD500 again!

turbodogfish

i'm using it - once folks like texasdave explained the darn thing to me, i got it to work great! it's very handy to have different banks of amp "families." it's not great for doing "stompbox mode," it's better for presets. I use the 3 buttons on the AmpliFIRE for stompbox mode instead and that works well.

texasdave

i'm using it - once folks like texasdave explained the darn thing to me, i got it to work great! it's very handy to have different banks of amp "families." it's not great for doing "stompbox mode," it's better for presets. I use the 3 buttons on the AmpliFIRE for stompbox mode instead and that works well.
Are you having issues with it in stompbox mode? Curious.

turbodogfish

no issues per se - just that the way lights work isn't conducive to intuitive use. for example, if i have my "clean" preset on 1 and i want to use button 4 for screamer, it will switch the light to 4, rather than having both lights on at the same time. not a big deal, but just not true stompbox behavior.

Slapshot1977

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, I'm kinda lost trying to program this thing. I've programmed MIDI before and it's usually pretty easy. Any tips for the Peak controller?

Slapshot1977

Silver Supporting Member
Actually figured it out. It's set up a bit weird and they don't explain it very well in the manual. Now it's smooth sailing.

texasdave

I got a DM from @ms custom and sent him "part one" of enough general MIDI stuff to get him started. I went to review the Peak owners manual and the website is offline. I hit the wayback machine and got a manual for his FBC8N. If someone wants to beat me to it and give him very basic PC and CC# toggle command instructions that'd be great.

Texasdave

texasdave

The FCB8N has a couple different modes to it. @ms custom since you're wading in, why don't you give us a general idea of what you're hoping to do with the unit and we can help brainstorm.

Texasdave

ms custom

Thanks for your reply.
I suppose I should have given you some background, I have two rack effects that I want to control. One is a tc electronic d two, the other is a Lexicon mpx1 (I only use one preset on the lex for reverb so it would be nice to have the ability to turn just that effect on and off. The tc unit has several presets that I use. Eventually I plan to switch my amps (5150 III 100w) channels via midi as well.

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
So which one are you guys having the best luck with, the Peak or the Midi Moose? I am probably going to buy one of these two.
Thanks -Frank

jb4674

The video on preset naming is a bit misleading because it gives the impression that the foot controller will display the patch name natively. In reality, one has to program the name for each preset into the unit.

texasdave

So which one are you guys having the best luck with, the Peak or the Midi Moose? I am probably going to buy one of these two.
Thanks -Frank
Frank, they're completely different units. If all you want to do is change patches, the MIDI Moose can do it. If you want to turn FX on and off, it's not the right tool.

Gotta get back to this thread tonight!
Texasdave

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
I want to use it for tap tempo and to turn certain effects on and off.

Trending Topics