1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone used this pot before?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by 57special, May 21, 2011.

1. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

2. tacomadriver7

tacomadriver7 Silver Supporting Member

I'll bring the question up also. Has anyone used this as well as any thoughts pro and con? I used the Google search function for searches and this is the only thread that came up.

3. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

Judging by the pictures it's in mint condition. I don't think anyone has used it.

4. tacomadriver7

Maybe they did a really good job unsoldering this one. ;)

5. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I haven't used it but I would like to...

6. 55hz

55hz Member

This is weird! The other day, I was thinking about a volume pot (of some sort, used with a humbucker) that when on "10" would be a regular humbucker (both coils) but when turned down it gradually "faded" one coil out. This would make lower volumes "cleaner". A pickup solution to the Treble/Cap network thingy...if any of that made sense.

7. tacomadriver7

Finally a serious reply. It seems like a good idea but I haven't found a post anywhere that says someone installed it and it worked great. It's also interesting that the OP got zero replies and then the first three guys were in a joking mood. I guess it's casual Friday. :)

8. drezdin

drezdin Member

this is very cool. I think I may try it

9. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

10. bc-cosmo

bc-cosmo Member

11. ThomasRS

ThomasRS Member

Muddy, how did that pot work out for you? The v-treb looks interesting.

12. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

13. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

Not to rain on the parade!!!!!!!!

It's a cool idea, but the pot itself...I wouldnt tour that one. But for casual use, especially if the taper is ok, shouldnt be a prob. Also, under combat conditions live you may find small use for selecting one coil over another, but maybe you would.

It's clever. I like the idea of the variable treble bleed circuit unit.

14. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

The one advantage I see to being able to select one or the other coil might come into play on a 24 fret guitar (or some SG's) on which the pickups are close enough together to give you some "quack" if you activate just the inner coils. The old PRS 24's did this (I suppose the new ones do too if they have a five-way but I haven't had one in awhile). Different sound from activating the outer coils, which tries to give you more open tele sort of thing.

I must admit I kind of liked the quack position on my first PRS back in the 80's. Certainly thinner than a strat but I found uses for it. Having said that, we all know the limitations of split hummers, so as Terry points out, limited utility, particularly if only one pickup is selected.

Some asymmetrically wound hummers are more convincing if the hotter coil stays on, but in that case no use for a fancy pot that lets you pick which coil stays one.... you'd never want the "cool" coil active alone.

Some of the Rio Grande pickups are kind of fun since they strap two strat or tele coils together. That greatly benefits the split sounds but the hummer tones are often less than ideal depending upon your purposes, particularly in the neck position where two "real" single coils strapped together can be a very hot and dark pickup.
    I have a twangbucker bridge/pickup assembly in a custom tele, and I gotta say, it sounds good hummer or split. Same guitar has a tallboy at the neck, and it sounds great split and sounds OK in combination with the bridge pickup whether split or full, but alone as a hummer it's quite hot and dark. I can use it for some jazzy clean things but not with any kind of gain. I'm thinking of wiring it to be in parallel when it's a hummer, might make it more useful. A pickup combo like this might benefit from a pot like that.

15. fiksion

fiksion Supporting Member

I just installed one of these on my new tele project on a rs super pot and it works great. I just put together a gibson scale tele with a lollar low-wind hum at the neck. At Volume 10 I get a nice thick jazz sound from the instrument which, I love, but has limited usages, but at about 8-9 I have it dial back the fullness enough to give it a clean almost single coil sound to the neck with no hum.

On different dual hum guitar I installed one of these:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/PMT-HCP/HCP-Humbucker-Control-Pot-w-Coil-Filters.html

This one actually allows you roll off to single coil. And it's a push/pull, so you get to pick which single coil. This was better in theory than in practice, because roll the roll if so steep, it basically like a switch. The nice thing is being able to select between inner coil and outer coil.

Overall I'd say the V-Treb is easier to use and gets better results.

16. PGrant

PGrant Member

:rotflmao Very good!

17. Droolski

Droolski Member

I too have been curious about the PMT HCP Humbucker Control Pot. Just picked up a set of Lace Duallys to drop into my Ernie Ball Music Man. Basically 2 of their Sensor single-coil pickups paired together as a humbucker. I went for the Blue/Gold combo for the neck and Red/Silver for the bridge. Figured that would give me the most options. Was going to follow the Seymour Duncan coil tap option for their P-Rails pickups with both volume and tone pots replaced with push-pull audio and linear pots, but too much wiring. Went to Guitar Electronics and decided to order the HCP to give it a try and add the remote filter/tap switch to be able to try both options on the fly. Have used Guitar Electronic before and highly recommend them. And no... I don't work for them or Lace music! Your results may vary. Will post an update when I've done all the surgery. Cheers, Droolski

http://www.lacemusic.com/Duallys.php

http://www.lacemusic.com/sensors.php

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2_prails_1v_1t_tspp

18. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

cool, let us know, but you wouldn't have wanted linear pots for either volume or tone anyway.

19. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Member

Hey Guys..I wanted to revive this thread to see if anyone else has any reviews/comments about these products....
    I definitely like their ideas (in theory), and am about to order a few of the Variable Treble Bleed circuits...If it works at all like the Treble bleed mod in my Reverend guitar, it will soon be installed in all of my guitars. (Buy 3 and save $$$...I like that, too!)
    Peavey used to do something like the Humbucker/Single Coil Fader, and it was extremely useful! I just don't get why more manufacturers don't offer these types of options... In some cases, it's like 2-3 bucks in parts can make a guitar go from ordinary to a Versatile tone BEAST! (In all fairness, in some cases, it's more crap that a lot of guitar players either don't care about, or just don't want to mess with...), but this helps keep the repair/hot rod shops in business.
    Cheers!
    -Jeff