Has anyone whos installed a number of electrosockets noticed this?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dazco, Mar 7, 2019.

1. dazco

dazco Member

I've put them in 5 or 6 teles and never had a problem till this one. It's a classic vibe, but i have put these i other CV's w/o issues, and i think it may be due to different manufacturers of the sockets. With this one i wasn't able to get the socket to sit in the hole level all around the edge of the socket. One side will sit lower. What i noticed is the one i have is it appears to have almost no lip, while other pics i found online seem to have a larger diameter because they have a lip which would make it sit perfectly. Has anyone run into this, and if so which ones fit best? The one i have is allparts.

2. DRS

DRS Member

pics pics pics

3. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Member

What is a nuber?

John Hurtt likes this.
  4. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

A “nuber” is an annoying person who likes to correct typos when the intent of the post is clear as day.

TA22GT, spiral, Strat Cat 63 and 2 others like this.
  5. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Member

I'm not overly familiar with electronics/electrosockets and thought that it was a component I was unfamiliar with. That's why I asked.

6. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Ok I take it back

7. dazco

dazco Member

Heres what mine looks like more or less. See how it sits IN the hole due to lack of a lip or flange. (mine isn't THAT bad tho)Then below this pic you see one that has a wide flange that fits over the hole edge. I'm wondering if the ones with the flange have a wider diameter or if the "bowl" is just smaller and the diameter of the flange is the same as mine. But like i said, i have put them in other CVs w/o this issue so i tend to think the sockets vary in diameter. Looking at google images there are many versions it seems.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

stratamania likes this.
  8. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

Anyway to shim the sunken side to make it flush all the way around?

I'm not familiar with how teles are routed out there, so just throwing out ideas.

9. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

If you still have those other guitars with other electrosockets, maybe see if one of them has an electrosocket that's shaped a little differently - possibly more compatible with your new Squier body.

Btw, Marc Rutters does a few variations - one of his may fit more nicely.

You bet, different models have IMO different shapes/sizes of bore holes. Highway One bodies have bore holes too large for a Broadcaster style cup that swages into the body - it'll fall right out. Warmoth bodies don't have the kind of flattish spot that I like.

eclecticsynergy likes this.
  10. 12guitdown

12guitdown Supporting Member

Haha timely thread as I’m ready to buy one. The ones I’ve installed in the past were always like the second pic, aluminum finish. Never seen a chrome one like in the first pic. Looks like the lip is little smaller too.

“Ok you nubers, stop screwing around!”

11. dazco

dazco Member

Guess i'll just leave it unless i see one that give the outside diameter dimensions and it measure wider than mine. Amazing how someone will go to the trouble of having these manufactured and not spec them wide enough for some teles. All they'd need to do is make the flange as wide as the widest tele and it would fit all.

I thought of using a washer, but to find the exact right one would be futile. It's not that big a deal.

12. onemoretime

onemoretime Member

The ones I’ve installed only fit one way, With the screws parallel to the strings. It’s like they are out of round and the body route has a corresponding flat spot.

If the fails, just set it so the rim is just above the body and use the screws to locate it.

13. dazco

dazco Member

Easier said than done. I can't explain it in words but it's near if not impossible, but It would take a book to explain it in words. If i showed it to you with the jack out and you set it in the body you'd see what i mean immediately.

14. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

The parts and the hole are different sizes depending on manufacturing , compare your other ones to it and see if you have another that fits better.

15. DonP

DonP Member

Why are you installing/replacing these? I might get a CV Tele, so I'm wondering if I'll need to do this. Thanks.

16. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

I've installed a number of Electrosocket jacks and just experienced the same thing that the OP did. I picked up the part on Ebay and went to install it on my American Original Tele and the very small lip didn't really want to cover the hole.

I ended up buying a Rutters and it worked perfectly.

Boris Bubbanov likes this.
  17. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Probably a different manufacturing tolerance.

Never had the issue but I usually get the ones from Allparts

18. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member

the "electro-sockets" from various suppliers are made by different machine shops and can be to different specs... it's that simple... If you're surfing the internet, looking for a bargain, there are some Asian suppliers that have them with the OD of the outside flange well over 1" or 25.4 mm .. to me, they look funky, so, I too use Allpart's they maintain a reasonable level of consistency and are made to what's the "standard" specifications.

rk

19. lespaulreedsmith

lespaulreedsmith Member

where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains
    ^^^
    what Ron said

monty likes this.
  20. JonSick

JonSick Member

Those sockets do tend to vary, though the last ones I've personally seen tend to be a little more uniform. The old ones where you had to kind of catch them into the dig of the wood were a lot more variable and a pain in the proverbial. I once worked on a very vintage tele with that sort of jack arrangement and I was actually scared it was going to snap off on me. That would have been an expensive panic.