Has anyone whos installed a number of electrosockets noticed this?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dazco, Mar 7, 2019.

1. PartoftheDark

PartoftheDark Member

Sometimes the hole is a little wonky too. I've filed a couple to make them fit better.

2. dazco

dazco Member

Don't be worried ! The crazy part here is i did NOT need to and shouldn't have. The CV stock one is great and does NOT need replacing The reason i got the socket is with every other tele i have had, the little clip that digs into the wood to hold the jack and cup was not reliably strong. When i removed the clip in the CV it was so solid it took strength to break it loose ! Had i not already bought the socket i would have left it. But i figured may as well since i already had it and they make the chances of the jack coming loose much less likely and replacing the jack much easier. But don't be worried about getting a CV for this. The stock one is solid as a rock. And let me tell you, these are fantastic teles regardless of the price and name on the head. My fav tele to date. Just be sure to get the now discontinued chinese version because they are in the process of changing production AND specs to indonesia, and i am positive they will be inferior. The woods are not going to be the same either. Poplar and basswood will be replacing the alder the CV series has used till now. Prices will be lowered but that will reflect in the quality.

3. monty

monty Member

Very true, I got burned once and learned my lesson.

4. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

[​IMG]

Installed a bunch of electrosockets but they never looked "right" to me. They don't tie in to the design language of the Esquire or Telecaster.

So, I used these instead. Dale had a huge stash of "seconds" that were supposedly not perfect, for half price. I bought a ton of them.

Baxtercat likes this.
  5. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

I have bought several Electrosockets. Twice I got sockets with metric threads that wouldn't fit a standard USA Switchcraft jack. Vendors sent me new Electrosockets, but didn't seem to believe me that they were metric. The metric ones fit the jack on my Squier Tele just fine. Apparently all "Electrosockets" are not all the original one I thought I was paying for.

6. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member

Yep it IS Planet Earth... where Murphy's Law rules.... that's why we haven't been invaded by Space Aliens... they know they can't plan for anything specific.... :p

But to the point.. I just made a little jig to hold the socket and align the correct thread tap and "fix" em with little thought.. I tend not to let unexpected "pot holes" ruin my day...

rk

7. dazco

dazco Member

The ones on ebay tend to mention if the threads are metric or not. I suspect any name brand stuff, while not made by them, will be sourced with USA threads. The allparts was, tho the issue as i said is the fitting of the cup. Just a wider flange and they'd fit ALL teles. So stupid. Charge me a friggin nickel more for the extra $0.0000001 worth of metal, i can afford it. :bitch

rhinocaster likes this.
  8. dazco

dazco Member

Yeah, but that has a few flaws at least to my requirements. No screws so you can't just pop it out to replace the jack easily, and no threads so the jack is far more likely to loosen like a regular cup. It basically has no advantages over stock other then maybe being more solid compared to the vintage style clip, and if the tele's hole isn't quite small enough i imagine those teeth could potentially not allow a unmovable fit. ES's may not look vintage, but how often do you stare at the jack and get bothered by that? Thats just me but not in the least. As the the ES's, this was the first time i had any issues, and as i said earlier it's not even a big deal. I just thought if someone else went thru this and could point me to one that rectified the issue i'd just get one of those. But no big deal.

Baxtercat and rhinocaster like this.
  9. dazco

dazco Member

Wrapped about 5 or 10 layers of masking tape around the cup right up to the lip and it now fits so the lip is the same all around the edge. Not perfectly but much better.

eclecticsynergy and rhinocaster like this.
  10. stratamania

stratamania Member

That is one of my Tele bodies on the bottom of post #7. I am in a different country to the guitar for a while otherwise I could have measured it for you. The part was from Warmoth.

By the way, that photo is also showing the nut on the wrong side of the electro-socket, which was corrected shortly after that photo was taken.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  11. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

I did the same thing with mine....and it just bugged me that it wasn't right so I popped for the Rutters. :)

12. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

Well when I purchased the "Electrosocket" I thought I was buying a "real" Electrosocket. That is what I thought I was paying for. Not some China knock-off. BTW this happened with 2 different vendors. Who shall remain unnamed.

mc5nrg likes this.
  13. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

you should ditch the nut entirely!

the advantage of the electrosocket is that when you screw in the jack with no nuts or washers behind it you'll have enough clearance to use right-angle cables.

Blix and burningyen like this.
  14. Salfordlad

Salfordlad Member

The Tele jack cup is such a stupid design. Why didn't Leo just do the same as Gibson and use a flat jack plate? I have a plate on my beater and it is so much better.

lemonman likes this.
  15. dazco

dazco Member

+1. And to be even more reliable i use a tiny drop of blue locktite on the threads. It'll come out easy when you want to remove it, but it won't loosen by itself. Don't even need to do that but it just makes it that much more reliable.

walterw likes this.
  16. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

I thought there was only one company making a jack cup called Electosocket. I just bought a couple from Stew Mac, didn't think to check if they are some off brand or something. Now I've got to go check what I have. Do the the original ones have a lip or not?. Does anyone know if the ones from Stew Mac are the originals or off-brand?. I know I got the SAE threaded ones.
    Al
    P.S. Here's the Electrosocket from Stew Mac, is this the original one?:
    https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Jack_Plates/Electrosocket_Jack_Mount.html

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  17. stratamania

stratamania Member

It already has enough clearance for right angled cables.

I would tend to agree a jack plate is a lot simpler and functional. By the way, do you have a connection with Salford in the NW of Englandshire?

18. gsh1968

gsh1968 Member

The original Electrosocket is an Allparts design. The brushed aluminium version was the original.
    Other manufacturers started making clones from brass with a slightly smaller lip and as they were in Asia metric threads. Someone requested one of these factories make them with a 3/8 thread for use with Switchcraft switches and these then became available to other resellers.
    Allparts started stocking the brass versions in different platings. You can see on the Allparts website even they show slightly different sized lips between the aluminium and plated models. I've no idea where Allparts source their brass models but the difference in the lips would suggest they do not have them manufactured in the same place as the aluminium version. Note the difference in lip on the black and satin black - obviously different manufacturers.
    https://www.allparts.com/products/ap-5270-retrofit-jackplate-for-telecaster

19. Salfordlad

Salfordlad Member

Yes, I was raised there and emigrated with my family in 1964 as a 12 year old. Went to Tootal Drive Primary and Salford Tech. My dad played for Salford Red Devils in the 30's and 40's and won a Wembley winner medal in the 1937 cup final, he also captained Wales. I was the mascot for the team as a young lad and basically lived at the Willows.

Salford was a grimey place in the 50's and 60's but I wouldn't have wanted to be raised anywhere else. Life was better then... kids could roam wild like Lord of the Flies without a care in the world...

Sugar butties in my pocket and a day playing footie at Buille Hill park, collecting and stealing bommy wood for Guy Fawkes night, walking around Weaste singing Christmas carols and collecting money for the blind which we nabbed most of, playing rounders on cobble stone streets, pouring water on the pavement so it would freeze and we could run and slide down it, trying to find our way home in the pea soup fog, getting the cane from Headmaster Nobby Clark, going to Blackpool and eating a bag of cockles and a stick of rock, seeing lipstick kissed 8x10 glossies with four young lads from Liverpool on my sisters wall, FA Cup matches of my beloved Manchester United, red poppies in November and yellow daffodils in March.
    It's the essence of who I am.

Even though I am now a US citizen I'll always be a Salfordian. Always be British.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Baxtercat and stratamania like this.
  20. stratamania

stratamania Member

@Salfordlad That's cool about the family. I am from the NE originally so some of it has a familiar ring to it. A lampost was a goalpost or a set of wickets. I am working in Manchester for the last year or so and I can see Old Trafford along the River Irwell from where I am staying. The daffodils are making an appearance also in places.