Has anything really changed? New generation Acoustic DI/Preamps.

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Realfi, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

My "big rig" consists of the LR Baggs Dual Source System in my 2 acoustics, and bari-acoustic into a Rane AP-13 Dual Source acoustic Preamp, and an Alesis PEQ 450 Dual 5 Band Parametric EQ into a used SWR Blonde on Blonde powered speaker (sort of a poor man's Pendulum amp and preamp system). It's a fantastic sound, but it still only "represents" the sound of the guitar acoustically. At that point, I stopped chasing that sound.

I've got to agree, for the most part, there is usually never enough time to really do a sound check, and tweak the eq for the room, so at this point, I tend to just use the Baggs PADI and run the Dual Source System in mono mode and am happy with the results.

2. royd

royd Member

I’d argue that in large degree, you’re going to sound as good or bad as your lowest quality component (player included), weighted for importance (obviously the speakers are more important than the speaker cable...).

3. throbert

throbert Member

The Tone Dexter is attracting a lot of attention over on the AGF. Kind of pricey but everyone who bought one says it is as good as advertised.

4. DeSelby

DeSelby Member

Maybe not new technology but becoming eminently affordable are devices that allow you to load Impulse Responses (IRs) like the Mooer Radar. The Radar is pitched to electric players but I think has equal if not greater value to acoustic players.

The Radar is labeled a Digital Cab Sim. It has quite a number of built in cabs and mike simulations. But you can also load IRs. While modeler IRs are typically of speakers in cabinets - like Celestion Greenbacks in a Marshall stack - there are also IRs of instruments floating around, some free, some not. The Radar also has graphic and parametric eq (it also has power amp simulation but that can be turned off) and it can be connected directly to a pa or mixing board. The device can store 30 presets and costs about $150.00.

I mention the Radar because I think it has the necessary function and flexibility at a reasonable price. I have been using a modeler (Atomic AA3) with acoustic IRs and a Schoenberg with a K&K mini into a pa system for the past year and have been really pleased with results. YMMV.

5. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

Perhaps, but I've heard inexpensive Squire Strats sound quite good through a Matchless amp and an expensive vintage Strat through a Peavey Bandit is...

6. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Member

First of all, this is EXACTLY why I sold my Taylor 814ce. Things change so much in the acoustic world that I simply refuse to buy another guitar with an invasive pickup system that has the potential to become obsolete in a few years. Yes, I understand that Taylor can update a pickup system, but it hurts resale in my experience.

I do think that companies like LR Baggs are going in the right direction utilizing better sounding USTs and internal mics like on the Anthem and Lyric. However, I also like the direction of Fishman and the Aura system. The issue IMO is always in how a company chooses to install/incorporate their technology into the guitar. LR Baggs is very non-invasive, and gets my applause for this. Fishman with the Aura ruins the Martin's they are in because of the two knobs and tuner screen. I just don't like holes in my guitars.

I think the best of both worlds option is using a UST or other method through an Aura imaging preamp...that is a great idea.