Has Digitech Canned The Modeling Amp Idea?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Wesman61, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

Went to their website and saw that they took down all but the little practice amps. No mention of the tube amps either.

2. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Who knows what they have up their sleeve.

I think the tube amps came down because it would be crazy of them to think they could compete in the tube amp market with the gear they had and the prices they were tossing around.

3. mpr

mpr Member

Interesting. The actual pages are still there, just not linked.

4. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

I don't care about digitech anymore.

Im a zoom fan now. :)

5. Wesman61

I hear ya. I really love the way the RP1000 is laid out and how it integrates with an amp but the amp sims just aren't realistic enough. I want to move on to better amp modeling.

6. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

They have lost their way.

7. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

I looked at the Istomp ($250+/-) I just looked $149 street
    To get four. I could get 2 M-13's (which I'd rather have anyway)
    What are people thinking.

I just looked $149 street

8. johnrea_77

johnrea_77 Silver Supporting Member

As much as I like my GSP1101 - I agree with you guys. Even on the Zoom thing. Five years is a long time in this business to be pushing the same hardware as a premier product. And, as I said, before about the IPB10 - I am not putting an iPad on the floor for gigs, that is asking for trouble. I'm all for a bigger display than many multieffect products have, there has to be a balance. The Zoom G5 is one one of the closest things to it.

9. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

My guess is that they didn't get enough preorders to start production and their dealer network they listed didn't include any of the major players. Maybe some of their key engineers jumped ship... who know? Regardless, I still like the GSP1101/Control2 and the support from mustbebeta. I've had mine for five years and never decided to sell it. They are probably selling plenty of the RP units still. I am sure many fans will be watching and waiting for the next big thing from Digitech.

10. Wesman61

Wow! Has it been 5 years? They are way overdue. Like I said I love the functionality of the RP1000 but they are getting left in the dirt in the modeling game. I really hope they pull something off real soon.

11. Wesman61

I don't know, they seem to be getting cheaper. You can buy them for low $300 range on eBay all the time.

12. desdinova

desdinova Member

Digitech has milked their latest technology (GSP) as much as they can. They are LOOOONG overdue. It's such a shame really.

Remember when the GSP was introduced: The Axe was at fairly early stage, firmware wise, no 11R, no POD HD. The only other contenders were older generation PODs, Boss GT-8 (?) and a few others of lesser importance. The GSP1101 found its way to the rigs of quite a few pros. I remember Dweezil having two of them in his (huge) rack rig. Then just ONE major firmware update and then... nothing. Users had to rely on mustbebeta unofficial updates, which brought the product up to quite advanced state, but you can only do that much. Still the GSP has features (and had them almost from the start) that others introduced much later.

It's a shame because Digitech has a great history in the modeling world and because the GSP1101 was so very advanced for a product of its time and price range. If they only directed more resources to a replacement they would easily fill the gap between the 11R (also a product in a stalemate) and the Axe Std/Ultra. And THIS is a HUGE market, esp. if the price was right. Instead they decided to just FAIL (tube amps, yeah, right... iEverything, etc).

13. Wesman61

This really seems to be it. The iStomp just seems so useless compared to a Zoom G3. For the price of 2 you can get a new RP1000 off of eBay. I'm afraid that if they don't get back on track they lose a lot of fans.

14. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

I think Digitech has decided to shift directions in hopes of cornering what they see as a large market of potential buyers. The question someone should have raised in the marketing presentation is...are there enough consumers who are existing customers who own iPad/iPhones and willing to upgrade and potential customers (ie non-Digitech users) who are iPad/iPhone owners to offset the lose of sales from existing customers (and new customers) who are not interested in an iDevice? Also, are they willing to improve their support and upgrade schedule to really take advantage of this market? Anyone who's been a Digitech customer is painfully aware of their lack of long term support.

I think if they would have looked across the industry, there are very few companies which only make Apple accessories with the vast majority preferring to diversify. People like to hold up Alesis as another company focusing on iPad accessories. But look at Alesis' product offerings. They have a traditional alternative for pretty much every iDevice they make ensuring that if one market fails the other will cover protecting the bottom line.

Maybe I'm wrong and Digitech will simply kill, but I would expect them to have an extremely rough year given how competitive the multifx/modeling market has gotten in the past 1.5 years and the new offerings from their competitors at NAMM. Next winter NAMM may be a make or break thing for them. And for Digitech to have a really solid offering, they had better been working on it for a year already...

15. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

Werd. :agree

16. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Well said. At this point it's almost criminally stupid on their part to not have released a high powered successor to the GSP1101. Another company should hire the "rogue developer" (Stan?) away from Digitech and use him to help them build a better beast.
    All the GSP1101 needs is better core amp modeling + much higher quality/resolution IR's. The physical routing, features, combination with Control 2 and 1U form factor is perfect.

17. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Maybe they've decided (along with companies like Korg and Yamaha and Vox) that the R&D to compete with the current offerings on price/features/etc is not worth it. Or maybe they want to wait till Summer NAMM when the newest Line6 stuff will be nearly 2 years old.

Seems odd, as the GSP fans around here are among the most rabid. There has to be something to that!

On the other hand, as much as it seems like modeling is growing, in my very small town, the local music store can't freakin' GIVE RPs and PODs away... On the other hand, they seem to move some Mustangs (best value out there for the lower-end market, no doubt...)

18. FuzzGazer

FuzzGazer Member

I think modeling for all manufacturers is at a crossroads ATM. Everyone is bagging on Digitech, but in truth there hasn't been a lot of improvement in the modeling world for quite some time from most manufacturers. IMHO Something needs to happen that makes the lines between digital, analog, modeling, racks, pedals, tubes, transistors, etc. become meaningless...

19. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Really? In the past one-and-a-half years we've seen POD HD, Axe II, and Kemper.

That isn't improvement?

20. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

digitech should team up with line six.

line six should do all the modeling of amps
    digitech should do all ALL of the effects

the digitech effects are still superior to line six