Has Fender lost its way?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 70' s Tone, Apr 17, 2019.

1. wmachine

wmachine Member

Exactly! Disaster? Just another case of damned if you do.
    And any of the odd models that came out obviously don't become a standard line. But even with limited sales for even just a year or so doesn't necessarily make it a disaster. Do you know if Fender lost money on it? You must think you do calling it a disaster. With this particular model, are you wondering "what were they thinking"? If so, that is your ignorance, not Fenders. I think it is pretty obvious myself what they were thinking, like it or agree with it or not.
    Just because a model is not popular does not make it a disaster. But that's the extremist attitude that prevails now a days.

zwiefldraader likes this.
  2. Spanndrew

Spanndrew Member

No. Next thread plz.

3. MichaelDCarter

MichaelDCarter Member

-----
    No. Play any CS instrument. They are great. The EJ is awesome. The American series plays excellent and is a wonderful instrument for the value. Even the MIM stuff is pretty high quality. They recently released a new tweed twin. Fender is definitely on course.

They are putting out some eclectic models. There's nothing wrong with that. One can laugh at them now. But 20 years from now a popular artist will pick one up and make them appreciate in value, at least for a period of time. Then people will post about how they loved them when they came out.

pomfret likes this.
  4. Strat-cat

Strat-cat Member

The fact that the basis of the OP was "it just doesnt look right" tells you all you need to know

5. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

This.

I see it so often with successful ventures (especially restaurants and such).... What you're selling, making is amazing. But then their is overanalyzation.... "I need to do something different or more" If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Fender is an amazing brand...but I agree and think they have lost their way. Too many variations and trial / error that is unsuccessful. Just make affordable, great sounding strats, teles and jazzmasters along with some great amps (maybe improve on them slightly or reissue somethings that would be desirable) and call it a day.

6. Neverwhere

Neverwhere Member

The Telecaster Acoustisonic looks like the Firebird X of Fender

7. M138

M138 100% Fenriz Approved

Forget innovation. Forget trying new ideas. The only thing new we should be seeing from Fender are higher strat and tele serial numbers.

8. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

I was fairly skeptical about the acoustasonic when I first saw it, but then I played one and honestly, I'm pretty impressed. it felt good, it sounded legit, it played really well. It's the real deal despite having roots in that atrocity that is the telecoustic. I left feeling like if i didn't need an actual acoustic guitar for....acoustic purposes... I'd totally buy one. But i'd wait till there were some used ones for a few hundo less.

ToneLounge likes this.
  9. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

That acoustic looks like my Martin's "special" cousin. HECK NO

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Ummm, you do know that in 65 they were also building Jaguars, Jazzmasters, electric 12 strings.... Lots of variety of weird stuff. Now 1955, that was a pretty simple year at Fender!

bluegrif likes this.
  11. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

It was said Fender lost its way in 1965 when purchased by CBS, yet here we are in 2019 recognizing probably 90% of TGP owns at least one Fender guitar.

12. Rogan1990

Rogan1990 Member

I love that guitar. I want one.

The designer is the same person who designed the Taylor T5, and I think it's better looking.

If you listen to the demo's, it's quite revolutionary how the tone goes from Acoustic cleans to Rock'n'roll with the flip of a pickup

ToneLounge likes this.
  13. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Fender is doing great, IMHO. The Acoustasonic isn't for me, but I bet it makes sense for the right player and the right gig. I think it could be great for a modern country gig.

14. ntotoro

ntotoro Member

I wouldn’t buy one, but to wonder whether the whole company is off its collective rocker is a bit of hyperbole. It’ll either sell or it won’t. If it doesn’t, it’ll be shitcanned. Simple as that.

They started with one basic Broadcaster/Nocaster/Tele, then to one basic Strat and now both have countless iterations, body routings, dimensions, pickups and etcetera... but this thing is what is making people question them?

15. Bolt VanderHuge

Bolt VanderHuge Member

This reminds me of a story.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  16. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

Not sure whats worse. The guitar or the price.

17. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

It doesn't tell you a thing. Or says the opposite of what you say.

I subscribe to the designers creed that "if it looks right, it will function right". If a company insists on releasing something funky, then this project "selfishly" imposes on the other, time tested products of the company and on products that sound and play just as great as they look. People start rationalizing and making excuses for their purchase, out of basic human defensiveness.

Experiment: Buy the item then record with it. Form an opinion after listing to playback. Now, go do some live shows, and the audience disdains you because they think the instrument looks bad (and if it looks bad they think it sounds bad; happens way too often), then, check back with us. Let us know if the trouble is worth it.

18. Bolt VanderHuge

Bolt VanderHuge Member

As for the guitar, I kinda like it. I think I'll get one and make it djent. :cool:

19. relicafella

relicafella Supporting Member

Fender isn’t doing anything different business wise than they have since the 80’s. They have always had lower price point r&d guitars. This is no different IMO.

20. flysky578

flysky578 Member

I find the Acoustosonic first appealing look wise and a funny gimmick.At least more that these "normal" acoustic tele or strat shape like types but at this price :)eek:) point it was a bit underwhelming..also the tones for my taste way thin and ice picky in the demos..

With the big offset route they go know, I would love to see a upgraded useful/sturdy JM/Jag bridge..with matching radius(hell even if its a mustang/staytrem style) but that will be a dream I guess..instead they make more TOM or strat trems on them..

Also I find the old WRHB fine, with all todays inventions(and Fenders Budget) it should be possibly to make a pickup that replicate the sound even without these CuNiFe magnets or I am wrong?Instead they screw p90 under some Jm Pickups and HB's under WRHB's:confused:
    The Meteora is also a good try in my eyes but I would also love to see some of the "Fenderish" prototype headstocks with the matching color plate :rolleyes:

Huge personal back off are for me the pale Pau Ferro boards.Especially on darker colored guitars:oops:.Maybe they will find a solution at some point or use another wood.

Other than that I dont think there is much to do for them besides special editions,signature's, relic cs and current models because I dont see them inventing new pickup types or total new shapes :confused:(That I would see more on G&L's side) but maybe they re-issue again the Starcaster at some point but who knows.:cool: