• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

has Gibson made a P90-single coil melody maker?

dazco

Have they ever made a melody maker with a P90 in the bridge and a single in the neck? I know they made one with 2 P90's but that defeats what i want it for. If they have, what years and are they hard to find ?

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
Have they ever made a melody maker with a P90 in the bridge and a single in the neck? I know they made one with 2 P90's but that defeats what i want it for. If they have, what years and are they hard to find ?
By "single," you mean a strat-style single coil? A P90 is pretty much the definitive Gibson single coil, so I'm not sure why they would have done that. It would look "off," for no other reason than to use a different style of SC. I don't think they ever put a full sized humbucker in a guitar with a mini-humbucker, either.

dazco

A P90 has a midrange that is very pervasive and sounds nothing like a fender style SC, and you can't get any kind of fender like chime out of them in the neck position. therefore i want a fender style single there like the traditional MM has. I started a thread about this very thing in hoping to find a P90 that has more of a jangly clear rhythm sound for the neck position of my LP special. To a man everyone said P90's will not do that. So i had the idea that a MM might be just the ticket, but i do not want a fender style SC in the bridge as they all seem to have, (except for the 2xP90 models) hence this thread.

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
I understand. Maybe there's a P-90 that can sound more like a Strat p/u. Some pickup guys custom wind things. Or maybe, get the 2 small sc model, and put a different bridge pickup in, like one of the strat sized p-90's (I have no idea how close they are).

I guess it's just a matter of which one you might be willing to comprimise more on.

There are a LOT of options in strat p/u land. P-90's definitely look cooler, so there's that.

InkStained

P-90's definitely look cooler, so there's that.
Still in a honeymoon phase, but I am forced to agree.

Compared to the Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros in my American Standard Tele, my P90s just sound like they were raised in an impoverished home, and they have a chip on their shoulder about it. Not polite.

Plug my LP MM into my Class 5, and it's instant Leslie West. YMMV.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom