Has Gibson turned the corner with TGP members?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 5E3, Feb 19, 2009.

Has Gibson turned the corner with TGP members?

1. Yes for me. I love my Gibson(s), would by another and recommend them.

2. Gibsons are nice, I'd buy one, or another one for my collection.

3. Gibsons can be nice, but are over-priced; I won't buy one.

4. The quality is just not there for the price range.

5. The quality is just not there, regardless of price.

6. I've owned Gibsons and was disappointed (various). Never again.

7. The Gibson product is ok, but corp. management sucks, so forget it!

8. I don't like the product, prices, quality or company. Forget it.

9. I'd rather burn in hell than own a Gibson.

10. Other (please explain)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 5E3

5E3 Member

[answer 1 should read "buy" not "by"]

I'm seeing a lot of appreciation for Gibson guitars here lately, especially LPs. My uneducated guess would be that there has been a consensus shift here at TGP. Here is a poll to clarify exactly how you feel about Gibson guitars today.

2. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Gibson detractors are tired of preaching. People are gonna wax eloquent about which ever guitar models they choose. Everyone needs validation.

Heck, we got guys here who worship Harmony guitars. More power to them, I suppose.

I just wish Guild had beaten Gibson not the other way around. But, like I say, I'm tired of it. The first decent guitar I ever played at a show was a Gibson, and I think they could have evolved into something simply incredible. But they didn't.

But they're making a profit I think, and aren't laying off I think, so at least we don't have that to worry about.

3. somedude

somedude Member

I notice there's a lot less PRS threads....

4. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Other -- I have nice, high quality Gibsons I bought at reasonable (to me) prices, but I will not buy any more at this point because there's nothing they're making that I want/need and the prices are just absurd at this point.

5. dantedayjob

dantedayjob Member

I would have one, but it would have to be the right one at the right price, QC is an issue for them, has been since... dang, I don't know... a LONG time... some are right, some aren't... am I annoyed with corporate, duh... yea... but when it comes to guitars, which are creative tools, you get what you need to make it work for you and if you shy away from a company because you think the CEO is a putz you might be missing out on the instrument that suits what you need

6. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

I'm a long-time Strat guy, but I'll probably purchase an LP at some point in the future. They're obviously good guitars, but seem a little overpriced. There are some tones that only seem to be capable with a non-chambered LP.

That being said, with the recent Fender price increase, I think all of the machine-manufactured guitars are becoming a little overpriced.

7. elkym

elkym Member

I like the pickup placement and feel of PRS's more... and the only reason I would go with a PRS or Gibby is for a set neck. I wouldn't mind an SG-- but I'm not sure I would really bond with it.
    On the other hand-- I've never liked the styling of PRS's much.

Oh-- and painted necks drive me crazy, don't really care for them.

8. bizzwriter

bizzwriter Member

9. 5E3

5E3 Member

Somebody voted they would rather burn in hell :D :rotflmao

It knew it would be good to list that as an option :)

10. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I have a '92 LP Studio which is a smok'n guitar and I'm buying a Traditional Gold Top today.

11. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Call me a rebel or comfy in my skin but I don't seek confirmation on the guitar I'm playing. Enthusiasts with similar taste in guitars, sure why not, but a consensual thumbs up for approval? Not this bad boy.

Gibson consistently makes good to great guitars in the USA. Overall, they have far more fans than critics.

:BEER

12. drewl

drewl Member

There's plenty of nice old Gibsons out there for decent prices and I've been lucky enough to aquire a few over the years.

13. Rumble

Rumble Instrumental Rocker Silver Supporting Member

I like all kinds of guitars. I don't find Gibson any better or worse than most other quality brands. As a Link Wray fan, I'm quite fond of '53/'54 Goldtops, c.'63 SGs and white '63-'65 Firebird III models (and reissues of these models).

I also think the mania over late '50s LPs is a bit much. I mean, get a grip, sheesh. :bong

And just for the record, I have a '75ish LP Deluxe.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  14. '70 RS

'70 RS Member

Their acoustics appeal to me much more than their electrics. Unfortunately, QC issues would keep me from ever buying a Gibson online, if I were in the market for one. What others want to do with their money is fine by me.

15. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

There is nothing like a Gibson. Most of the "detractors" are more upset with not being in a position to own one than anything else. I know because I was there once too. But some of the greatest rock and blues tones of all time were coaxed from instruments made by Gibson.

When you look at the prices out there on the boutique bolt on guitars, the Gibsons really do seem very reasonable.

16. '70 RS

'70 RS Member

Not even close.
    Most of the detractors have owned, or do own Gibsons and are saddened by what the company allows out the door on too many occasions.

17. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

I'd bet a lot closer than you think. And unless you intimately know every human being on earth, your speculation is just as much so as mine. How about we don't deal in absolutes that we can't possibly confirm?

And why on earth would anyone be "saddened" by that? Saddened? From what I see, most of the guitars Gibson is putting out now absolutely blow away what I've played from the 1975-82 era. Like they aren't even the same company, the difference is so massive. It's quite incredible actually.

..."saddened"...I love that LOL.

18. '70 RS

'70 RS Member

oh brother......

19. 5E3

5E3 Member

^^^^^ ----- where art thou?

:munch

20. '70 RS

'70 RS Member

No need for the popcorn.
    I'm too busy raising my own children to argue with someone else's.