has marshall adressed the transformer issues in the 1974x?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sabbath90, Jun 15, 2006.

1. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

tried one of these little beasts today and it's siiiiiiick. i love it, but i've noticed a lot of transformer problems being reported. has marshall fixed this problem? even with marshalls warranty i don't think i want to buy it if there are still issues because waiting 3-5 weeks for warranty repair SUCKS. that aged greenback is a sweet little speaker though and it's hard for me not to want to buy it. thanks.

2. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

As of a month ago (@ the LA AMP Show), I was told by an amp show attendee that the policy was to replace bad OT's with new OT's, when they were reported as defective. If you're thinking they should be proactive about doing something in advance, before the customer buys, that's expecting a little much for a corporate profit model.

I'd heard the same complaint from other owners about the OT in them, some had their OT's replaced twice under warranty already. I doubt Marshall can pinpoint when/where or who has the suspect OT's out in the field, as I'm sure they figured they all worked when they left the factory.

So, at this point, it's not cost effective to send out new OT's for every amp that's out in the field on a "precautionary, proactive" mode.

3. conundrum

conundrum Member

Wow, what a coincidence. An 18 watt just came into our shop today that was the 2nd in as many weeks to have a fried power transformer. Is this becoming a common problem?:confused:

4. da-boogieman

da-boogieman Member

So does this imply they have both an OT and PT reliability problem?

5. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

There are a bunch of posts over at the Les Paul Forum / Amplifier page with owners reporting transformer problems for both the 1974x and the 2061x. Marshall/Korg is aware; they are replacing them as they fail under warranty.

But it's not clear to me that Marshall is doing anything other than sending owners the new transformers of the same kind that failed the first time around, instead of an upgraded version.

I am reminded of the Trace Elliot Velocette amp of the late 1990s, another great little 2xEL84 amp which also blew transformers. When Gibson picked up Trace, they sent owners upgraded trannies for free, upon request. I got one just for asking - and mine hadn't even blown. Now, that was fixing the problem.

It's important for Marshall to send replacement OTs that are upgraded, or else they'll just blow a second and third time ... and trash the reputation of both the amps and the company. Which would be a shame - because they are terrific amps.

6. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

7. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

hmmm...i think i might not buy this now. i've been looking around and there are an awful lot of problems. too bad because it SOUNDS great, but for 2 grand i don't want to have to take it to the 'authorized repair' center because that always takes weeks from past experience. bummer.

8. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I had one of the suspect Velocette amps, and Gibson did send me a new OT to replace it, although mine never did fry, they did it because I asked about it. Based on that positive experience, I bought a Gibson Super Goldtone combo, also made by Trace Elliot before Gibson purchased them. Nightmare purchase. It fried about every two months. I had it in the shop 8 times in just over a year, waiting for replacement parts from England usually took about four weeks. I'd drive the 80 miles roundtrip to the service center (yep, closest one to the LA area was in Whittier, CA), play it for a few weeks, then something else would fry. It was never the same part twice. Finally I asked Gibson to extend the original warranty when it had six months to go, and they said, how about if we send you a new combo to replace it that's made in the USA? I accepted. UPS stuck a forklift through it in three places. I called Gibson & said, how about if I take the speakers out, put it in my own 2x12 cab, and you just send me a new head?

That head has worked fine for 2.5 years now, so it's hard to complain about Gibson...and I got to keep the old combo, which I donated to a music school.

But ask Marshall to be that proactive? Uhh...that's not going to happen, I don't think...as evidenced by the links to experiences posted above.

9. goneracin

goneracin Member

From the questions I get asked all the time, I would tend to concur that its still an issue with them.

10. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Some additional color on the 1974x from an LP Forum member who lives in Germany.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113467

Like John Phillips, I'm not piling-on Marshall. The 1974x and 2061x are just wonderful-sounding amps. They do seem to need real transformers, though.

Hard to argue with tmac, who just went ahead and put in a Mercury Magnetics unit to solve the issue once and for all. But he shouldn't have had to, in the first place, at his own expense.

Kiwi

11. Lashing

Lashing Member

Maybe Marshall doesnt need the business with all the crappy $200 solid state units they sell.

There are plenty of people making a good copy of the old circuits. Mojave for instance. Pricey yes but at least they stand behind what they sell. I doubt they'd just ship you a tranny and say "have at it"

That said I love my 1974x tone. Its dirty, edgy and smooth all at the same time. Like a big german sheppard barking.

12. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

That is the way Mitch (pres. of Korg USA) runs his business.
    I don't think he gives a damn and can only relate to numbers.

For example, I sent him my high dollar korg tuner that broke
    and he refused to do anything about it saying I abused it.
    They don't come with a cover like the Boss tuner, and
    if you keep it in your gig back all the lettering rubs off
    just from being kept in the bag and used.

When asked about their warranty he said it had already expired.
    He also said I sould buy a camera case and keep the tuner in that.

13. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Member

I had a problem with a fake 18 watt marshall that I purchased from overseas. Mitch Colby looked at pictures and identified it as a fake in writing This enabled me to get my money back. If you take a problem to that dude it gets handled. He is definitely a class act. My 1974x sounds great and hasn't cooked anything but my ears.

14. RevelationAmps

RevelationAmps Member

There are a lot of authentic 1974 combos out there that are made by companies other than Marshall, many predating even Marshall's own "reissue". Why not get one with a better reputation? I'd suggest GDS.

15. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

I got his name wrong. Yeah, it was Mitch I sent it too.
    Probably the reason why I didn't recall his name is the
    poor customer service I received.

Mitch wouldn't even tell me what the warranty period of
    the tuner was. It isn't written in the little manual either.
    By not stating it, they just say it is out of warranty and
    that is it.

Boss tuners have a 5 year warranty if I recall correctly.

They are making more money on amps so he'd be willing to
    ID knock offs. That still doesn't address the quality issues
    with the trannies.

Other techs that I've talked to in general are pretty dissatisfied
    with Korg/Marshalls tech services.

I can only state what happend to me and how other people in
    the biz say they have been treated by them.

16. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I've dealt with Mitch Colby for my Vox AC30CC and he was a grade-A customer service guy. guess everyone has a different experience.

I just bought a 1974x...I'm crossing my fingers for no transformer issues because it sounds so freaking good! If it came down to it though I'd pay to get the transformer swapped out, the amp is worth it.

17. KOG

KOG Supporting Member

I had thoughts about getting a 1974x......but I put that to rest when I pick up a Rockytop 18 watt 1x12. No transformer issues with the RTE and saved lots of $$$! In fact I would venture to say that the Rockytop is better constructed/built than the 1974x. I retubed the amp and put a Celestion Heritage G12M in it - you would be hard pressed to find a better 1974x style amp IMHO! It is a fantastic amp!
    :AOK

18. Voxy Foxy

Voxy Foxy Member

I've had but positive experiences with Mitch...and by positive, I mean RIDICULOUSLY positive. He traded me an AC30CC2 for a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia head around NAMM time, and since I live about 20 minutes from the convention center, he decided to save me money on shipping and got me into NAMM for the whole weekend and gave me a nice floor model. Also, my friend's first CC stopped working (early early CC) and Korg sent a Fedex truck the very next day to pick up his non-working CC and he had a brand new one within 2 weeks. I'm not trying to discredit you or anything, but I find it really hard to believe as Mitch Colby has been the MAN for me and my friends.

19. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

Good for you guys. I'm glad you were treated right.

There is a big difference between amps and tuners.
    With the warranties too. They have to bust their
    butts on the amps that have been having real bad
    problems.

And we all know what kinds of problems their having
    with the Marshall amps and VoxCCs.

That's his is bread and butter.

Anyone every find a warranty on the he end korg tuner?

I'm still looking.

20. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I say we string em up. I mean they are trying to reproduce the Amps we want. We all know they are having these Trannys made in Zimbobway. Lets get the Tar and Feathers. :AOK